• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nonstick cookware

chimera

Sitting on the front steps
Hi, I have a cockatiel that I recently bought and they're doing really good so far, but because I am a minor I live with my parents. They're refusing to understand that nonstick isn't healthy for birds and I tried saying that it's not good for us either (to a lesser extent, same point though) but they just won't listen and it's really frustrating. The cockatiel is housed in my room which is near the kitchen as we don't have a huge house. Any suggestions or tricks to prevent birds from breathing in fumes? I am really sorry that I can't just throw away the nonsticks, they're just so stubborn and think I'm being anxious for nothing and taking my bird more seriously than my grades (of course I am! It's a living thing and grades aren't!) and I didn't think they'd just take lunch that can be made alternatively over my cockatiel's health.

Will s/he be okay if I close the doors or cover her cage with cloth? Please help!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I live with my mum and we had a non stick frying, luckily she's an animal lover and made a deal that I had to buy the safe, new frying pan. I almost lost a bird due to ptfe toxicity, luckily he pulled through!

Keep your door closed, blanket in front of the door, windows open in your room (just slightly if it's a little chilly), kitchen windows open. Always have something in the pan (never let it just warm up), always on a LOW heat and never unattended. Fumes are only released once it surpasses 200 Celsius (I think it's more than that but can't remember off the top of my head).

I also told her other peoples experiences with losing their birds or nearly because of non stick and how dangerous it is for humans (Mum is also a big fan of cast iron which she has a pan set of). Tell them what it does as well. Birds lungs are great at gas exchange and very effective the in diffusing oxygen into their blood stream (much better than humans) the fumes from non stick break down their blood vessel, causing the to drown in their own fluids. There is no cure once a bird inhales the fumes, it's down to dosage and the size of the bird.

The stories really helped, especially when it regarded a cockatoo (mum thinks they're very smart and she likes that they can talk) also try and get your parents to interact with your bird, they'll experience the bond you share.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have your parents read some of the information on Teflon Toxcity and parrots on the web. Many a bird has died from this. If they understand the whys of it then they may corporate and get stainless steel cookware or other safe cookware.

Ask A Vet Online For Free 24/7 - PetCoach

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Has anyone heard of these? We just bought a couple to try out. https://www.greenlife-cookware.com/about

I would like to dig into these a bit further to see how safe they are. So far the couple of pans we bought are pretty nice for a good price.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
can you offer to work it off?

Tell mom if she throws away or donates that bad pan and gets a good PTFE/PFOA free pan you will do dishes for a week?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are several PTFE and PFOA free cookware brands out there now, so if you could replace your Mother's Teflon (deadly, deadly, deadly) pans one at a time and ask for the good non-stick replacement pans for your birthday and Xmas you can get the Teflon replaced. I have a couple of the newer ceramic non-stick and they are soooo much better than any Teflon pans.

Here are examples; https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...594430:kwd-47706993151&ref=pd_sl_114jsetvc3_e

chimera

Sitting on the front steps
I'm offering to work somewhere and replace the pans (it's only one or two that are non-stick) and my mother is slowly coming around if I'm willing to replace it with my own money and I'll try saying how it's kills birds easily, including ringnecks (those are her favorite) but my dad thinks it's silly as apparently there's a fan or something. But he can't really tell me what's good for the bird or not so I'll try and pay it off as soon as possible and hint to my parents to make lunches that don't need pans in the meantime. Thank you for the recommendations!