• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NON URGENT Weird Egg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sweet Pea is eggie mode, she laid normal cockatiel egg on Monday, but this is what I found this morning:
20180530_091702.jpg
I have already sent picture to Dr Tony& Barb. Sweet Pea seems fine eating and drinking, bouncing around her cage like normal.
This the 2nd time she has laid weird egg, the previous one was all shell and whites, no yolk. She is getting calcium every day. Anybody else ever get a weird egg?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Is it the size of a normal tiel egg? My tiel once laid a very tiny egg. Would like to know what Dr Tony and Barb think. Happy to hear Sweet Pea is acting normally.

Zephyria

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
TDawn Maddox
Looks like she has enough calcium in her system that the extra is being put into eggshell production. It's probably fine.

I worked in a chicken egghouse for a summer as a teen, and weird eggs weren't uncommon. Some of them come through with soft shells that are thin, breakable and rubbery, like eggy water balloons...which are an indicator of not enough calcium...so seems like extra shell would be the other end of the spectrum?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
They will call tonight, both are in surgery most of the day. It's normal size egg except for the swirl. I took Sweet Pea out of her cage and checked her behind no blood. She is protecting her dummy eggs with gusto .

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr Tony called he thinks that she maybe getting too much calcium. I am to keep a watchful eye on her. Reduce her calcium to every other day. He wants to see her but is booked solid this week. If there is any change he will squeeze us in some how.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr Tony called again tonite just to say that is not the weirdest egg he has ever seen. When he was a intern, cockatoo came in becuz she was straining like all get out, two eggs attached to each other by the shell. After some KY jelly she able to pass both eggs together without surgery.

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my tiel hens only lays tiny yolk-less eggs. Fortunately not often.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have not had parrots that were laying eggs but have had many chooks laying for the first time or after an illness. We have seen many weird eggs some as small as budgies eggs, some with no shells, some that were very odd shapes, one with no hard shell inside another one in a shell (two eggs one shell, babushca egg), double yolks, patchy shells, no yolks, extra bits of shell on the outside, huge yolk hardly any white are the ones I remember the most. I know it can be fairly common in chooks but I have no idea about parrots.

I am so pleased your vet does not seem worried about it, hopefully it is nothing to worry about.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am checking on her every few hours.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think if you were going to see problems, it wouldn't be until around the 48 hour mark when she gets ready to lay again. Good that your vets are monitoring it though!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Never seen that! Just keep an eye on her, yes, maybe too much calcium, which in the long run( not her) but will eventually start to calcify the kidneys and / or arteries. Hard to know how much to give hope she doesn't do that again! I've had Tiny eggs here too, and a few that have no yolks..

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sure scared the poop out of me little stinker.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yolk-less eggs are related to their hormone levels, not calcium. So I doubt the two incidents are related.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Egg #3 was soft shelled.She was in the nestbox when I got her up. Left a message at the clinic but Dr Tony is not in today, Dr Barb is, she will call at lunchtime. Sweet Pea seems fine into her breakfast loving all the fresh greens.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
That's a very odd looking egg but it looks like it would be fine, just a bit extra shell. Now if she laid and egg like this I would be worried. egg-big.jpg

Here are a few odd shaped eggs with a little odd textures and a couple odd shaped but none like yours.
egg-odd.jpg

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am not familiar with yolk-less eggs. How do you know if they are yolk-less?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Candling will show a dark round mass inside the shell, yolk. On yolk less egg no dark round mass no yolk.
It happens with chickens too, use to have to candle chicken eggs, any with double yolks stay on the farm anything with no yolks were thrown away. gr'pa use say the chickens were not eating enough greens and bugs if there were yolk less eggs

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yolk-less eggs are also really tiny and light.