1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent NON URGENT for 2 lovebirds

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Zerø, 6/11/18.

1. Zerø

Zerø Checking out the neighborhood

Jadyn
    Hello. I got 2 female lovebirds that are sisters, though I'm not sure they are confirmed female but the person I got them from said the shop had tested them, Idk really. Anyway, sometimes they fight and bicker. And I wanna know if its a danger. Lily sometimes starts it with Filia and will play bite her it seems, theres only been one time i heard Filia squeal which to me is that's the first time doing that became a problem. It happened when Filia had flew over to the food bowl right next to Lily and Lily had then acted out by fluttering her wings and then proceeded to get rough. This act of aggression I'm sure was caused by Filia almost pushing Lily off. Usually they sit together follow each other and get along well, but at least every day they're bickering and biting. Is it a danger? Or just playfulness?
    Edit: Lily doesn't bite too hard, she usually does a light nip, though theres been a few times ive seen her get a little iffy. Filia rarely bites,

2. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    Females typically don't get along very well, and as they mature, it will probably worsen. You're better off separating them in to different cages immediately. They can still talk to each other, but from the safety of their own "homes".

3. Zerø

Jadyn
    Oof are you sure? Id hate to do that as my big cage was a lot of $ and they get along well except when it comes to sharing stuff really. I'll definitely try and consider it though. Thank you!

4. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    Lovebirds could maim/kill each other. I wouldn't risk having two incompatible birds to live together in the same cage.

iamwhoiam, Lady Jane and Aviana like this.
  5. Aviana

Aviana Strolling the yard

I second that. Lovies are adorable, but they can be really aggressive. I understand about the money you paid for the cage, but one dies--or both--it will be awful.

iamwhoiam and Peachfaced like this.
  6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

If your lovebirds are showing any signs of aggression towards one another then the best thing you can do for them is to separate them. It's much better to be safe rather than sorry.

Peachfaced likes this.
  7. nu2birds

nu2birds Jogging around the block

Kurt
    I think you might end up having to separate them........but you could try different feeding stations not close to each other and see if that stops the bickering at the food bowl. But with separate cages, they each have their own territory, and they can visit each other, but can be separated if they start biting/bickering with each other. I have heard of two females getting along famously, but it's rare I think. I have two boys that are siblings and they do get along famously even with one food bowl. When one bird thinks the other has had enough food he grabs the bowl with his beak and starts banging it up and down it to make his brother fly off. They both do that to each other.........it's rather comical and I can hear it from any room in the house, LOL. Good luck and keep us posted with what works.

iamwhoiam and Peachfaced like this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Ditto!

9. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road

Garet
    Please separate them. You'll likely live to regret it if you don't. One (or both) of them might not.

Peachfaced likes this.
  10. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    Separate them asap

Peachfaced likes this.
  11. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Rhiana
    As everyone has already said you need to separate them because the girls are 10x's more aggressive then the boys and they can seriously hurt each other or worse. You can get a good sized flight cage for one of them for a pretty good price. If you need to put a separator in the cage until you can get the new cage set up so there is no unwanted fighting going on.

12. Zerø

Jadyn
    Thanks everyone. I'll definitely put up a separator until I can get another cage.I highly appreciate the help!

Aviana and Garet like this.
  13. metalstitcher

metalstitcher Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Rhiana
    No problem that is what the forum is for :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)