• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non-Toxic Paint & Flooring

SkyPeepers

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yvonne
Hello,

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice before I do some remodeling this summer. I have two lovebirds and I do not want to use anything in my home that will harm them. I am looking for a brand or brands of paint to paint my livingroom where they live. Also, I would like to install laminate flooring. I have heard in the past how toxic some laminate floors can be. I am very nervous about doing this now, but also believe that there must be some flooring that would be safe to use that would not be too expensive. When I have this work done I will move the birds to another room and am also wondering how long I should wait before placing them back in the room with new paint and flooring.

I would be so appreciative of any advice anyone can give. My lovies mean the world to me and I would rather not make any changes at all if there is any chance of them being harmed from it.

Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think the brand name I have posted before is eco paints. I put a link for it too I think. I’ll see if I can find it or at least the brand name of paint.

I am no help with the flooring though sorry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
ecolour is one brand that has no VOC’s so it’s safe to use.

It’s Australian made, you could probably find one that is made wherever you live though.

I don’t think that ecolour is the one I previously posted about though.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
you'll want a good brand of paint that is zero-VOC (Volatile Organic Carbon). there are many brands.
as for flooring, you want something low in formaldehyde, and be VERY careful of any adhesives used. some types of floor need no adhesives.
I have used this website for research when doing things. One of their concerns about products is that in addition to being "green" they are nontoxic for folks with chemical sensitivities.
when researching adhesives and even caulk for goodness sake, I like to check their site. they also have tutorials, Learning Center - How to, Tips, Installation, Maintenance, Q&A - Green Building Supply
here's a quick one on floor I grabbed. and definitely check out adhesives and caulks.
How to Buy a Green Floor: 7 Common Mistakes and How to Avoid Them - Green Building Supply

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I just did this last summer..........I packed the birds up and they stayed with the breeder that I got them from. They stayed for 10 days. I don't remember the paint we used but as far as the laminate floors are concerned you can get laminate that does NOT use adhesive. My floors were very low if any formaldehyde and no adhesive. They never smelled at all, I couldn't detect any odors at all. The brand laminate I went with was Mohawk. The paint smell was there, but it was summer and we had windows open for the whole ten days and the birds came home and there were no problems.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think I would move the birds to another location. I am not sure a different room would be enough separation.

Do you have a friend or bird sitter you could use during that time?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our apartment complex is updating the kitchen and baths in all of the units. Our plan if they get to our building before we move is to move all of the cages into our bedroom, open the windows & stand our largest fan in the door to pull fresh air through the window and push it out the door, hopefully taking the fumes with it.

I know that will put new and old world birds together for a couple of days, but it's better than the alternative.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just looking into different types of natural flooring a few weeks ago. Our kitchen floor is so in need of an update. I really liked the idea of cork flooring (has insulation value as it's cork, both from cold/heat & also sound plus it's nice to stand on for legs/feet). The issue is, weight will indent it, & so can certain types of shoes I want to say like a stiletto heal type. I looked @ so many I don't remember for sure anymore. I gave up my research & thought another day maybe. I don't have the money right now anyway, I've got about 6 other things I'm saving up for.

Hope this helps a little.