• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non stick Porcelain cookware??

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Hey everyone! I hope everyone survived the Christmas holiday!! I have a question....Is non stick porcelain cookware safe? It is Faberware brand & is PFOA free. I have always used cast iron & stainless steel but my friend who also has birds recommended this set to my husband & I received it as a gift from him. It is a beautiful set but safety over appearance!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As long as it is PTFE and PFOA free, then it is safe :) Most ceramic/porcelain is though, and I have several I use. Love them!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just took back a ceramic that didn't say PTFE free. I wasn't sure and didn't want to gift something that I wasn't sure about.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
This does not say PTFE free only PFOA. I will call the company & double check with them to be sure!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
They are nice but unfortunately they rarely last. The coating eventually chips and flakes off, no matter how gentle you are with using and washing them.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
This does not say PTFE free only PFOA. I will call the company & double check with them to be sure!

My husband got me new pots for x-mas too. They are going back. I was looking into the Farberware ceramic but there is a warning on their site about birds. So I will be getting stainless steel.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
My husband got me new pots for x-mas too. They are going back. I was looking into the Farberware ceramic but there is a warning on their site about birds. So I will be getting stainless steel.
I am returning my set tomorrow. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone in that company! I have only found one set from Faberware that claims to be PFOA\PFTE free & it is ceramic but I just don't trust their claims. I am currently looking into a brand called Green Life. I hope to get a return call from them tomorrow. Good luck with the stainless steel. Its a pain in the butt sometimes but safe & thats all that matters!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My kids bought me stainless steel pans when the birds moved in.

I bought a ceramic skillet and love it. I think the brand was bialetti. Found it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond and it had the no PTFE or PFOA label.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
They are nice but unfortunately they rarely last. The coating eventually chips and flakes off, no matter how gentle you are with using and washing them.
I have had other people tell me the ceramic cracks. :( I will stick to stainless steel.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have had other people tell me the ceramic cracks. :( I will stick to stainless steel.
I like omelettes.

I've had my pan for years and while it doesn't look like day one (my pans are stacked in each other), I'm still cooking fine. Best part is they aren't expensive. Now shop n save is carrying them! Just spend $20 or so and buy a skillet....see for yourself. Just don't use metal utensils on your pan.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Jaguar yeah I found that out after the set I just bought a few months back started to stick on me when I was cooking. So now I am on the hunt for a new set again.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
I just spoke to a rep at Farberware & she confirmed the cookware I have does have PTFE. She told me EVERY non-stick pan they sell has PTFE even their Purecook line! She said it is only one coat so it can be labeled as PTFE free. She then proceeds to tell me that PTFE is not fatal to birds & is not harmful in any way to humans! I informed her she needed to do a little more research on the subject because she has obviously been misinformed & she politely hung up on me. I will never give this company a penny & will inform others not to do so as well!! :rant:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think I'll quit reading and just chew on raw food.....
:coffeescreen:

Personally I use cast iron the majority of the time and stainless sometimes. I love my well seasoned cast iron

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
I returned the Farberware set & got a refund! I went to my local Wal-Mart & got a 10 piece set of Cera Pan ceramic cookware for $49!! I also had enough left to buy a new ceramic electric skillet! All are PTFE/PFOA Free!! I have all my bases covered now! Yay! Omelettes for everyone!! :fairy2: