• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Non emer. Yet

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
cheeky just flew into the toilet. I immediately scooped her out and washed her under the faucet. What to do now ? I'm worried about germs she may ingest. Eccholi ? Should I just wait and hope she doesn't get sick? When she preens later she may still have germs on her feathers. No vet until mon. Anyone else have this happen ? The toilet had no waste in it

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think I would watch her closely until Monday and then call your vet to see if they have any advice. If you can get her to take a bath in clean water, that might help. Let us know how she does and what the vet says in case it happens to someone else.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
get her warm and keep her warm. put her in a small cage with half a heating pad under it. 85 to 90 degrees. cover the cage with thick heavy towel over the top and 3 sides. put the perches down low and food and water also low. if you rinse her off well most likely you rinse any germs off then and there. I am more worried that she may have inhaled water into her air sacs. watch for wet sneezes and head shaking to rid her self of water. if this happens find a ER VET now.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
This also happened to one of my tiels...I was also right there to get him. I washed him off right away, watched him, had my sister check on him while I was at work...he was fine. the toilet water was also "clean". But after that...I always put the lid on the toilet and close the bathroom door.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Thanks. No signs of inhaled water so far. I rinsed her pretty well but don't think I got under her wings too well. I can't believe she's her same sweet self. I feared she had her feelings hurt holding her in that cold water but she's talking up a storm.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
As someone who does nasal flushes on a regular basis, I think you'd know right away if she inhaled any water. They're very, very sensitive to that. I think you're in the clear in that regard.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How scary, I hope she's okay!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Well, I got up this morning to a chatty happy cheeky . I'm somewhat relieved but I know it could be a day or two before ingested bacteria showed symptoms. I'll continue to fret and monitor her closely for a few days. Thank you guys for your support. If I don't post again you'll know she's ok. If she gets sick I'll be back on here freaking out. No more toilet lids up

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel flew into a nasty drainage ditch. I immediately brought her in and rinsed her in the shower. I'm sure there were all kinds of bacteria in that ditch being that I live in Florida. She is just fine.