• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
Hello I was wondering if there are certain kinds of movies that are less noisy than others?

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
Sorry lovies not movies. Auto correct on a kindle is a nightmare.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As you were told in the conure forum, all parrots are noisy. That's just their nature. Asking for a quiet parrot is like asking for a rodent that doesn't chew.

Some species (like macaws) have VOLUME. Some species (like lovebirds or budgies) aren't super loud (relatively speaking) but they make sounds constantly. Just a never ending stream of chatter.

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
My two parakeets are awful. At random times during the night they will start chattering up a storm. Also when I was in the mountains I found out how loud macaws were. There was one over 10 houses down (I'm not kidding) that I could hear screaming.

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
Oh and has anyone had experience with masked lovies and are they normally louder birds or quieter birds. Know parrots can be loud I've heard a very mad cockatoo.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
My lovebird was noisy pretty much constantly, similar to budgies, only louder and higher pitched.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
10 houses is nothing. The zoo where I live has a cage of 5 greenwing macaws (one of the largest species). There is a restaurant I love to eat at near the zoo. When the greenwings really get going, I can hear them from the outside dining area of the restaurant. About 2 miles away.

Birds are usually quiet at night unless something spooks them. Is there anything that could be scaring them causing them to chatter after dark? Are they in a room with a TV (sometimes the TV noises can be alarming for birds)? Do you have a cat or dog that walks around the house at night? Seeing something prowling after dark is TERRIFYING for most birds. Try moving them their cage to a place that doesn't have any after dark traffic, and get them a nightlight. A lot of times, having just a bit of light is very reassuring to birds. They feel safer if they can see better. Just like children who want a nightlight. :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Dead ones are pretty quiet. :lol:

lovie lunatic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Noah
I have fish tanks with nothing but shrimp walking around night and and a turtle cage right next to them. And the cats sleep outside.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Hello I was wondering if there are certain kinds of movies that are less noisy than others?

You have two groups of conures most talk about with the arratinga being the REAL noisy ones. Although the others are quieter they still make noise.

Birds make noise for many reasons. People don't tolerate noise for several reasons which may also be pitch, repetitiveness. Birds call for a variety of reasons so there needs to be an expectations of noise and volume cannot be turned down when one tires of it. This is where people start covering birds to keep them quiet, banish them to the basement, put them in a closet. One needs to know their limits and by knowing them you can make better choices.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Birds make noise for many reasons. People don't tolerate noise for several reasons which may also be pitch, repetitiveness. Birds call for a variety of reasons so there needs to be an expectations of noise and volume cannot be turned down when one tires of it. This is where people start covering birds to keep them quiet, banish them to the basement, put them in a closet. One needs to know their limits and by knowing them you can make better choices.
Yes! It is good to hear/ know the noise level before getting a bird. Hubby brought me a lovebird pair this week. Their noise is killing me. Doesn't help that sound echoes so much in our house. They're older,untamed birds. Not sure about this at all.