• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise/Pitch Level of Your Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I'm looking for some insight from owners on how high loud your parrots are, in terms of pitch, volume and frequency.

My fiancé and I were talking about what bird we may add in the future, and he said our tiel's shrieks hurt his ears. Apple, our tiel like to scream at a very high pitch and loudly AND frequently throughout the day. Now he does this as contact calls mostly, to us or the birds outside.
So for a future fid, I was hoping for the 'let off a few times at dawn/dusk' as opposed to to 'vocalizations all day long' and for a pitch lower than that of a cockatiel.

Please share your experiences. :)

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
I had 6 parakeets at one time and my neighbors never knew. Right now, i have 6 tiels (4 just came home today) and they are extremely quiet... U can train your tiel's not to be so loud/vocal.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Lola [Cape Parrot] is generally very, very quiet, but her call is a very high pitched one. She calls a little bit in the morning sometimes, or when she gets *really* excited, or if she's scared. But really she is not loud at all :)

GlassOnion

@ILoveTiels, How can I train him to scream quieter?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
My Pois are generally quiet, so low noise level. I've had them out quite a bit today and there was barely any noise out of them, except when Joey was "talking" or laughing.
Their "typical" Poi call can be quite high pitch though - luckily, they seldom do it.

Piper was noisier when around other Lovebirds. On his own he is rather quiet. His pitch can be high though.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Bourke’s Parakeets are extremely quiet! I have one and you wouldn’t know she is there some days, she has the quietest chirps which are much quieter than Cockatiels and Budgies, she doesn’t scream either, she only does soft quiet chirps.

My Quaker, Indian Ringneck, and Rose Breasted Cockatoo are very loud, they have loud screams which are high pitched to the max. My 2 Green Cheek Conures aren’t too bad, but they can definitely make your ears ring sometimes when they get loud. I have 14 Cockatiels out in aviaries, and they can get loud if you are right next to them, then I have 2 Cockatiels inside and one of them being a male, is loud all day, wether he is screaming or trying to whistle, he makes sure he is heard, and the other one is a female, she only screams ocassionally but her scream isn’t defining like the male she is caged with is. I also have Budgies in an aviary, but their noise has never bothered me, I don’t mind it, once they all get chirping it sounds like there is triple the amount of Budgies in there though.

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
My Pois are pretty loud. lol My Red Belly is the quietest, Sennie is the loudest & Meyers beeps all day...lol

My Conures are pretty quiet, the Linnies & Parrotlets are both around the same noise wise, don't bother me at all.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Let's see-
Mia the Hahns isn't high pitched she makes an "AH AH AH AH AH" call when she does. Usually she does it for a few minutes in the morning and spends the rest of the day talking.

Capri the Cape is VERY quiet! She likes to whistle and chirp. She has the potential of being loud but I rarely hear it.

Elle, the Red Belly is a "beep-er", she'll beep throughout the day but never really gets "loud" and it's never really repetitive.

The Linnies will talk to each other, it's mostly chatter and never gets really loud, high pitched, or repetitive.

Lulu the brown head, is just starting to make noises. She is neither loud or repetitive. She is a bit high pitched but she's also "whispers" her noises!

Dink, the Blue Crown is LOUD!!! I can wake up upstairs in my room if he's screaming downstairs in the family room. He's not high pitched but he IS repetitive and will go on and on if in the mood. Usually it happens in the morning if we forget to cover him or sometimes when he's alone. He doesn't like being alone, I usually leave some music or the tv on for him when we're not home.

There are times during the day, you can't hear any of my birds if you're sitting downstairs.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Luna isn't too loud but she definitely *can* be when she gets going with her toys. She does what I call the 'eagle' scream when she's playing with one particular toy and it's ear-splitting. Might be a few minutes out of every day, if that. Other than that she usually makes a microwave beep when she's trying to get your attention.

The linnies are pretty quiet for the most part too. The get pretty rowdy in the mornings though, usually for about a half hour or so. If they start squabbling it gets pretty noisy too.

Savannah, M2, is LOUD. When she really lets go it sounds like someone is getting murdered. I don't even think I've heard it at full volume yet and it's already easily the loudest bird I've ever heard. Depending on her mood and the reason she's being noisy it could be a few seconds, a few minutes, or longer. I know that she gets loud when we leave the house but I don't know if it's continuous until we come back. I certainly hope not. lol It doesn't really bother me honestly. I'm used to cacaphony and chaos around here. My only concern is if she should ever get so loud and prolonged that one of my neighbors complains to some type of authority. Hopefully that will never happen. I can't even imagine someone trying to have one of these birds in an apartment!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
My cockatiel Chiquitta was the loudest of all my birds! My IRN's have loud natural calls, but only sound off when scared, or first thing in the AM or when they can hear me but cant see me (then I just holler back and the sush). My 'tiel though.....screamed often! Just signing and being vocal though.....but it was loud and frequent, LOL

Afleetalex

Walking the driveway
My foster parrotlet Apache is VERY quiet. I've only had him for 2 weeks but so far he has been as quiet as a mouse. You can barely hear him if you are upstairs at his loudest. He doesn't scream either.

GlassOnion

@Kim, geez I'm not the only one! I swear Apple goes on for hours everyday... It's like he actually enjoys screaming at me/ outside birds over playing or anything...

What other species only call off for a few minutes in the morning and stay quiet during the day?

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
My two Eclectus are certainly capable of being loud. But I've never heard high pitched...which is good because the high pitch hurts my ears...like a sun conure I'd love to have, but cannot take the high pitch. Ekkies kind of squak...but I've not heard my female do it yet. My male talks almost all day and very rarely squaks.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
If you're really looking for quiet, I second a Bourke Parakeet. They're really sweet birds too.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When everyone gets going here, it is earth-shatteringly, mind-bogglingly loud... I cannot even tell you. :eek: Elvis is, of course, by far the loudest (her scream actually hurts my ears and is just slightly quieter than a close range shotgun blast), Zoe is next with her ear-piercing shriek, then the Hahnsies, and then Patrick, and finally the p'lets (whom I can barely hear). The parrotlets seem very quiet to me, but then, I have permanent hearing loss. :huh:

charliebear22

Checking out the neighborhood
My Sun conure actually rarely vocalizes - only if startled, or the door opens. Then it's only a shrill call 2 or 3 times and she's done. the rest of the day she is pretty much silent.
My Grey talks only a couple burst per day, and he mostly just rings the telephone, or sounds the microwave. Occasionally I will get a smoke detector beep from him. Even when he yells at his toys, its one small yell, not loud at all. I was very surpised to find out that the quietest in my flock would be my TAG.
My budgie is a chatterbox, but I find her noises cute, so even when she's chattering the loudest, she just makes me laugh.
Reviewing my post, I'm not sure that was much help, sorry.
My suggestion? Linnies or Bourke's.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
My senegal is a screecher. he can get pretty noisy when he knows I've arrived home and I haven't come to see him :rolleyes: Other than that he's very quiet.

Red Belly-- she talks alot but when in a different room than my senegal they will contact call, little screehes, until they are in the same room again.

Female Bronze Wing---fairly quiet, has a call, kinda sounds like "squee" or "wee" when she wants attention. Only for a few minutes and it's not that loud.

Male Bronze Wing-- he is loud and obnoxious, and a blabber mouth!! Usually food will keep him occupied for about 15 minutes, then he's back at it!! He is only fairly quiet when I'm with him. But his personality is the best, he is so silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.