• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise Levels of Pionus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Hi Everyone!

There is a Blue Headed Pionus at my bird store I am in love with! But I live in an apartment so have to be careful of the noise.

They say Pionus are quiet apartment birds in all the articles you read but I figured it's best to hear from owners of these beautiful birds:D

I would hate to bring one home only to find out they are way to loud for an apartment.

So what is the noise level of your Pionus and how often do they yell?

Also are different species louder/quieter or more cuddly/playful?

Thanks for your input!

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I have a Blue Headed Pi. Ozzy is a fairly quiet bird. However, he does yell a couple times a day and it is loud. I don't live in an apartment but I am pretty sure it would travel through the walls. If I am outside, I can hear him even with doors and windows closed.

The good side is that it's usually just for a few minutes and only 2-3 times a day. I don't know if most Pi's are like this or not.

Otherwise, he is a really good talker and a lot of fun. He is not a cuddly or playful bird. He likes to hang out with me and get some head scritches but that's it. He loves to be talked to, though, and will always answer back:)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
They can be very loud, but generally do not vocalize as frequently as other species. My guys can be as loud as a sun conure but only scream once or twice a day for 10 minutes.
I have heard of pionus having screaming problems, but that is something you will just have to discourage. I just completely ignore the screaming. Kei uses words to contact call me now because I do not respond to screaming. If he says "peakaboo" I will say "peekaboo" back to him but he never learned to scream for attention. As long as you give them plenty to do, and do not respond to screaming, you probably won't have any issues.

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I had a feeling they might be to loud for an apartment :(

Thank you for the responses, makes me think I should wait though until I get a house. I think my Conures are pushing it volume wise for my apartment, and they are the "Quiet" Conures, lol

I saw apartment bird in everything I read online and got excited for a minute, lol

But better safe than creating a problem for a poor bird and me if I have to rehome him because of noise complaints.

Shadera

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Shadera
Dawn's BH above sounds like my Maxi. I cringe when I hear people say mousy little apartment birds, because when my little gal lights up you can hear it out in the street.

There was recently another person on here who adopted a pi and was having issues with screaming. It's not always and certainly not every bird, but I think it's something to be taken into consideration if you absolutely can't have any screaming because they definitely have the potential if they want to use it.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, I just believe in being honest about experiences.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Risa is extremely quiet. She's a BHP, and rarely screams. Once in a blue moon she'll scream in the shower...she gets so excited with her showers sometimes, but even then, it's only for like 30 seconds to a minute. I don't want to jinx myself, but she's never done 10 minute screams. She's an only bird, and that may make a difference. If she were kept with conures, she might very well to decide to join in when they start screaming. I think every bird is different, and it's really hard to predict.

Miss Molotov

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariel
Dawn's BH above sounds like my Maxi. I cringe when I hear people say mousy little apartment birds, because when my little gal lights up you can hear it out in the street.

There was recently another person on here who adopted a pi and was having issues with screaming. It's not always and certainly not every bird, but I think it's something to be taken into consideration if you absolutely can't have any screaming because they definitely have the potential if they want to use it.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, I just believe in being honest about experiences.
Yep, that would be me. Joy has gotten alot better, but she still screams. We're trying to be strong and hold out, but Crys12065, when they say loud, they mean LOUD. Joy can be so loud she cancels my hearing out till all I hear is a high pitched "weeeeeeee" noise-- like the next day after a loud concert. I don't think she will ever stop being a loud and noisy Pi, but she certainly is better than she was. I have Senegals also, and even when they are both screaming at the same time, they are quieter than Joy. Maybe a Poi would be a better match for your household?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) My Sachi is quite quiet.:) Her flock calls last less than 45 seconds once per day and they aren't even on a daily basis.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Kobe is extremely quiet - usually. He only gets LOUD when I'm vacuuming or taking out the garbage. Like Allison's Kei, Kobe shouts in English which is much more bearable and funny. I think too that the volume of the family effects the volume of the bird. We are all pretty quiet here - my neighbour didn't even know I had parrots until I introduced them.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran

Yep, that would be me. Joy has gotten alot better, but she still screams. We're trying to be strong and hold out, but Crys12065, when they say loud, they mean LOUD. Joy can be so loud she cancels my hearing out till all I hear is a high pitched "weeeeeeee" noise-- like the next day after a loud concert. I don't think she will ever stop being a loud and noisy Pi, but she certainly is better than she was. I have Senegals also, and even when they are both screaming at the same time, they are quieter than Joy. Maybe a Poi would be a better match for your household?
Thanks guys! You pretty much reinforced my decision that they are not the right bird for an apartment. Knowing my luck I would be the one to get the screamer, lol
I will wait, but they are definitely on my list of birds to have someday!

Thanks everyone for your replies and experience!

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
yes they are quietER than other parrots but can get noisy from time to time, personally my pois are louder, but thats just my flock.

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
Kobe is extremely quiet - usually. He only gets LOUD when I'm vacuuming or taking out the garbage. Like Allison's Kei, Kobe shouts in English which is much more bearable and funny. I think too that the volume of the family effects the volume of the bird. We are all pretty quiet here - my neighbour didn't even know I had parrots until I introduced them.
This is probably true-- Joy's first home had 2 young kids and her second home had 2 teenage boys, and a flock with amazons, conures and a 'too-- and they put on action movies in the soundproofed bird room to try and drown them out... Some of this information was withheld till after our adoption, also. But our home is very quiet, and she seems to prefer the differences in music and movies played with her in the room! I think she used to try sound compete with whatever media was playing. Now she coos and grumbles to it instead of screams. :laughing12:

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Something I've notice with my BWP, Alita, is that she is normally quiet by herself. It isn't until my painted conure, Boo, starts squawking up a storm that she starts up (I think she's trying to tell him to shut up; she's not a fan of him at all and has tried to attack him before). Then they feed into each other as Boo does enjoy goading her on. I can hear Alita from outside, but it isn't something I could hear down the street. I did have them both in an apartment for a year. It wasn't too bad...I never got any complaints at least. But it all depends on the circumstances and the bird. Alita would be pretty quiet most of the day were Boo not there to wind her up and keep her going, though. :p

sassie

Real Name
Laura
I would have said a Pi is fine for an apartment. We've over the years fostered several and none were screamers. At one point I had made a video of the loudest of the "loud" any had been. Let me see if I can find that video. Its old LoL!

Does anyone else have videos of there Pi's sounds?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.