• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No training requirements? I think.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I have been trying to get stormy to get on my shoulder but he just runs from me when he on his cage cause usually that means I'm going to put him in it. I have got him to go on perch from my shoulder after doing various back bends and contortions.. today I walked up and he started walking away and said no.. I stated saying look an tapping my shoulder and saying come on.. He came and hopped on! Will see if it works again later..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's avoiding you, there may be some sort of interaction between you two that he does not like, and it may help to take a step back and see if there is anything that you can do differently. Anything that can make the experience for him better.

Sounds like he's figuring out what you want though! That's great! :)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
How sweet! The only way I get Rhema to interact with me is to tap the top of my head and say "come on" and she will jump right on. Otherwise, it is still hands off, but we are working slow, slow with her.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
When we take them off of a favored perch, regardless of what that perch may be, and consistently place them in their cage, we begin the process of teaching to avoid our hands and to refuse to step up for us and if we still don't listen to what the bird is saying by all of this, it is a short step to nips and then biting to get their point across.
I think that it is easier to avoid this problem than it is to change it once it begins, so I never make it a habit to place my bird in its cage more than 25% of the time when I ask them to step up. If I know that I will be leaving the house and need to put them in their cage, I begin a little in advance and move them around from perch to perch ending up with the cage and a piece of almond as a thank you. I am aware that one can't always adhere to this, but on those occasions putting the bird in the cage is never a problem. This also helps tremendously on the avoidance of hands when you just want the bird to step up to go somewhere with you because they are not expecting to be put in a cage.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
When he runs its cause he doesn't want to be in the cage. This morning he just jumped right on.. :) he was on me all morning had no issues getting him in the cage..

Wolf

Jogging around the block
That is what I said. Not wanting to be put in the cage appears to be the number one reason that they start avoiding hands.