• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No Toys for Breeding pairs?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ricky and Lucy always had a variety of toys. Never even thought of not giving them toys. They are now retired from breeding.

Last edited:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
that is why I try to have just boy birds I do have a female lovebird but only because when I rescued them they were a bonded pair but no way are they going to breed I don't want to contribute to the problem

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I am assuming all the negative comments on this thread are from vegetarians that grow their own food and never purchase any products made from animals or petroleum and walk everywhere. There are good and bad peoples everywhere. To generalize about breeding and breeders the way it has been done in this thread is just as bad as all the other stereotyping that leads to the hate and distrust we see these days. I know dozen of breeders both professional and hobby, they all love their parrots and provide healthy environments for their birds, including toys. They are not in it for money and they don’t breed hybrids, they are picky about educating new owners about the challenges and responsibilities associated with owning birds. If it was not for responsible breeders and zoos that generate the research on parrots all those well meaning bird “owners” out there would think it was still ok to feed seed only diets and would be providing similar comments about breeders while they kill their birds with love.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I am assuming all the negative comments on this thread are from vegetarians that grow their own food and never purchase any products made from animals or petroleum and walk everywhere. There are good and bad peoples everywhere. To generalize about breeding and breeders the way it has been done in this thread is just as bad as all the other stereotyping that leads to the hate and distrust we see these days. I know dozen of breeders both professional and hobby, they all love their parrots and provide healthy environments for their birds, including toys. They are not in it for money and they don’t breed hybrids, they are picky about educating new owners about the challenges and responsibilities associated with owning birds. If it was not for responsible breeders and zoos that generate the research on parrots all those well meaning bird “owners” out there would think it was still ok to feed seed only diets and would be providing similar comments about breeders while they kill their birds with love.
And there you go, generalising.
As a foster parent I've seen many young birds from hoarding/breeding situations here in the UK and I promise you it's not something I would put anyone/anything through. These people turn their own children's bedrooms into breeding rooms while the children have to sleep on the floor in another room. This type of breeder has zero ethics, do it for the money, and will usually do their exchanges is a dark pub car park. It's those birds that end up rescued, with serious health and behavioural problems. It's these birds that new owners can't cope with. It's these birds that I, and quite a few other members here have picked up, loved, and turned around.
But I don't generalise. I accept there are good, responsible breeders out there, for whom health is number one. But for every responsible breeder there's a backstreet bedroom breeder only concerned with the health of his wallet.
There's no wonder so many bird parents, particularly those parents of rescue birds are so negative towards breeders. It's not til people have got a bird, or are considering getting a bird, that they join a forum like this and read about what is going on. Most will never join, will struggle to cope, and will hand over a sick bird to the care of the authorities.
With so many birds in bird rescues there really is no need to buy many species from a breeder. There really is no need to even breed them, nor encourage their breeding. By buying from a backstreet breeder you're supporting overpopulation, and driving prices down placing birds within the reach of people who don't have the means to care for such a bird.
Yes, there are responsible breeders. That is not up for debate. The issue is the number of awesome birds thrown away by this throw away society we have created. If it doesn't work try another, and another, and another.
Every story has two sides. Some have many more. There is NEVER just one answer.
In the same vein, if you don't like what I just posted you can either respond in whatever way you feel fit, or you can just ignore it.

Last edited: