• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NO Starly today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Sorry, I know the waiting is difficult.
I had four different birds to ship out yesterday. After I got up early, fed them all a last goodbye breakfast, kissed and cuddled them all, I went to the airport and they informed me I couldn't ship any of them!! So I started calling the new owners to let them know what happened.
First one was going to Alabama and was told that Atlanta did not participate in the summer program!! That was definitely wrong so the guy at the airport called a 2nd time and was then told that they did participate. So that one got shipped!
Then I spoke with another new owner who was in Miami and he asked me to ship it late at night. So I went back to the airport for the 2nd time yesterday and did as he suggested. The temp was 74 when the bird arrived at 11:45 pm.
The biggie that really upset me, was one I was shipping 3 hours away from me, the lady said shipping was less than driving! But the airport he was going in to doesn't accept shipments on Tuesday because they are overloaded with military cargo!! No one at the airport had ever heard about this; and it was an airport I used to ship from before we moved.
Then the 4 one was because of the weather, he was going to Salt Lake City. So I called Delta yet again to see when they thought he could be shipped, told them we were in no hurry, just wanted to know an approx. time. They said to ship today, that today was good weather but after today was in the triple digits.
So finally, after using 1/2 tank of gas they were all sent to their new owners destination.
The today I got a call for a guy that was picking his up next and he wants it shipped tomorrow!! Made reservations for it and all stops were in the summer program.
So far I have 4 happy new owners, and hopefully 1 more tomorrow. Not shipping anything else for a while, (I hope)!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8:

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
Awwwwwwwwwww Judy that really sucks! I was sure hoping to hear about her. :hug8:

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Sorry, I know the waiting is difficult.
I had four different birds to ship out yesterday. After I got up early, fed them all a last goodbye breakfast, kissed and cuddled them all, I went to the airport and they informed me I couldn't ship any of them!! So I started calling the new owners to let them know what happened.
First one was going to Alabama and was told that Atlanta did not participate in the summer program!! That was definitely wrong so the guy at the airport called a 2nd time and was then told that they did participate. So that one got shipped!
Then I spoke with another new owner who was in Miami and he asked me to ship it late at night. So I went back to the airport for the 2nd time yesterday and did as he suggested. The temp was 74 when the bird arrived at 11:45 pm.
The biggie that really upset me, was one I was shipping 3 hours away from me, the lady said shipping was less than driving! But the airport he was going in to doesn't accept shipments on Tuesday because they are overloaded with military cargo!! No one at the airport had ever heard about this; and it was an airport I used to ship from before we moved.
Then the 4 one was because of the weather, he was going to Salt Lake City. So I called Delta yet again to see when they thought he could be shipped, told them we were in no hurry, just wanted to know an approx. time. They said to ship today, that today was good weather but after today was in the triple digits.
So finally, after using 1/2 tank of gas they were all sent to their new owners destination.
The today I got a call for a guy that was picking his up next and he wants it shipped tomorrow!! Made reservations for it and all stops were in the summer program.
So far I have 4 happy new owners, and hopefully 1 more tomorrow. Not shipping anything else for a while, (I hope)!
Wow, thats unbelievable! What a circus. I wish mine had a happy ending like yours ended up having today, but no way they could ship Starly to me. Poor breeder, drove 40 minutes to the airport, had her all packed up and ready to go, only to find out she had been given mis-information on the phone and Boston does NOT participate in the summer program. Geez. You would think these customer service people could get the facts straight. I will never ever attempt to ship during the summertime again...just too complicated!
Looks like temps will be lower on Monday and Tuesday of next week, so that is my next "hopeful" arrival date, but Im sure not holding my breath....:rolleyes:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I understand your frustration, but be glad you are dealing with a responsible breeder----I was the one that unknowingly had my bird "mailed" and lost.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I'm sorry, I hope you get her soon.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I understand your frustration, but be glad you are dealing with a responsible breeder----I was the one that unknowingly had my bird "mailed" and lost.
:eek: That was an awful story!!
yes, the breeder is awesome. She is just as frustrated as I am, but what can we do?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Starly comes first. So glad you have a responsible caring breeder. Its just too darn hot and I would be so worried with her on the tarmack and in the hold. This is better and she will get to you safe and sound.

Ginger

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Starly comes first. So glad you have a responsible caring breeder. Its just too darn hot and I would be so worried with her on the tarmack and in the hold. This is better and she will get to you safe and sound.

Ginger
I agree Ginger, and we never would have even tried to ship her today, except, the breeder was told on the phone that Boston participates in the summer program, which means that they have climate controlled vehicles to transport the birds to and from the plane, so they are never out in the heat. But, when she got to the airport, she was told that she had been given wrong information and Boston is NOT part of that program, so, no way she could ship. Unbelievable. But, if they WERE in the summer program, as many airports are, it would have been perfectly safe to ship her. Oh well....just wish the poor breeder didnt have to drive all that way for nothing.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh, I had no idea what the "summer program" meant. I thought it just meant they ship in the summer. Duh!!

Ginger

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
LOL... I just dont want anyone to think I would have even considered shipping her in this heat, if it werent safe. I never would. We were misinformed.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thank goodness the breeder was cautious (and I know you wouldn't have allowed it to happen either)! But I know you must be so disappointed! I hope Starly can come home soon!!

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
Good things come to those who wait!

But that really is lame :( nothing more exciting than getting a new birdy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How frustrating, I am sorry Judi! I actually logged on to see if there was an update, darn it. She will be home with you soon, though. :hug8::hug8:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
:hug8:

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thanks everyone. Trying to be a big girl and stop pouting, but gosh, that was so disappointing. We were SO close! Oh well...maybe next week. I will keep you posted.....

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
i hope the breeder is able to ship Starly to you soon!

when the breeder i was getting Fae(my linnie) from was shipping her she got delayed too..but only for a day. people at the airport decided then they didn't like how she secured the door of the carrier when all the other times it had been fine so she had to take Fae back to her place and wait for morning so she could buy the things needed to make it the way the airport wanted it.

even though it made me a bit sad to have to wait another day it was actually a good thing cause the delay let me go pick her up instead of a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.