• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No feet, what to do?

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
Hey there! So Baldwin, my 10ish-year old BCC, was traumatized and mistreated in his former home and got frostbite, leaving him with no toes. He cannot perch on my finger, or anywhere for that matter. He’s an agressive dude, and will bite in almost any situation except when i swaddle him to administer his pain medication—he’s calmer then. I’m kinda stuck on how to interact with him when I cannot easily handle him, both because of behavior and (mostly) his lack of feet. Not a lot of info out there on my situation—anyone have creative ideas/knowledge?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Woah, poor little dude :< glad he now has someone to properly care for him.

If you don’t mind me asking, how does he perch at all? Or move around his cage? I guess I’ve seen pigeons missing a foot before. I’m sorry to say I have no ideas :<

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
Woah, poor little dude :< glad he now has someone to properly care for him.

If you don’t mind me asking, how does he perch at all? Or move around his cage? I guess I’ve seen pigeons missing a foot before. I’m sorry to say I have no ideas :<
I'm glad to have him too! So he has a short, wide cage that he mainly stays on the floor of (the floor is made up of soft washcloths and fabric. I took off the metal bars as that could hurt his "feet"). He has two little nubs for feet that he walks around on, while using his beak for extra balance, like a tripod! All the toys are hung low for him to reach. He doesn't perch at all :C

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hey, so I was looking around the forums and saw this person post about a footless African grey parrot! They have an amazing cage setup. Of course a conure is way different, but maybe you can talk to this person for advice?

I’m kind of unsure how to tag people on this website, hold on

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
Hey, so I was looking around the forums and saw this person post about a footless African grey parrot! They have an amazing cage setup. Of course a conure is way different, but maybe you can talk to this person for advice?

I’m kind of unsure how to tag people on this website, hold on
That was super helpful! I never thought of flat platforms instead of perches, that's an awesome idea.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Glad it might be of help!

I look forward to you posting more in future about your bird’s accommodations and stuff :D I said so already but you’ve really given him a new lease on life. (And sorry to be negative, but damn his neglectful owners from the past :<)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think you need to have a chat with @Brittany0208. She will be a great person for you to get ideas from as she deals with a similar issue.

Now that I have read all the replies I see that @Feather has already tagged Brittany. Hopefully she will be along soon and help you with more ideas :)

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello! May I ask what kind of setup do you have Baldwin in? Also, welcome to you and your flock!

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
Hello! May I ask what kind of setup do you have Baldwin in? Also, welcome to you and your flock!
Thank you much!! Baldwin is in a 30.7" x 16.5" x 22 in high vision cage atm which I think is much too small. I'm having trouble deciding what I want to actually buy him permanently, though. Anyways, there are two perches that are for the sole purpose of hanging toys. All the toys are hung low from the wall/perches so he can reach them, and the floor is soft fabric which I switch out once a day.

(I was facepalming when I saw flat platform perches in this thread...why didn't I think of that?)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you looked into Midwest Critter Nation Single Unit cage? That's what my bird is in, who also cannot perch without leaning against the cage, he has more than enough room even with toys, perches and bowls added. I also pad his cage with fleece blankets and a their pillow or dog bed since his balance is off. I don't know how to link threads but I have a ton of pictures on my page showing his setup and how I've adjusted everything for him. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope @Brittany0208 's information can help you. She has done a wonderful job with Java, who has only one leg (and that leg is compromised) and was a sorely neglected breeder before she got him.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I have had two birds who have been unable to perch, not necessarily because of their feet but other disabilities. I ended up putting a cushion on the bottom of their cages with a towel on the top. The towel can be changed and washed daily so it's always clean (if they're on the floor a lot chances are they will end up getting dirty quite quickly) and it's comfy for the bird to be sat on. I then put low platform perches around the bottom of the cage just high enough to climb up on to but not too high so that a fall would hurt (which is why that cushion is ideal!). I hope that helps give you some ideas anyway

As for actually interacting with him, will he sit out of his cage after his medication on a cushion or towel etc. so you can just hang out with him without having to touch him? That way you can both be close but you don't have to mess with him. You could put small foot toys and things on said cushion/towel for him to mess with too so he wouldn't be bored

One last thing, can he fly? If he can get around flying you may find it easier to keep him comfortable. Neither of the two birds I had were able to fly but they would clamber around their cages to interact with me through the bars by sitting on their platforms

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
@kitsunebandit Thanks for the great input!!! About flying: he can fly, but often i end up having to retrieve him from random tight spots because the moment he is out of the cage he’ll start flying around, haha.

But I think I could definitely approach the no-touching hang-out time in a way that could be good for us both!! thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Baldwin into your home.

My sparrow, Spee, has been unable to perch since his legs broke when he fell from his nest. He has a multi-branched perch on the bottom of the cage that he can sit near and put his foot on (fake perching), a flipped over dish that is wrapped with paper towel that he can jump up on and rest on, a small bowl padded with paper towels that he can rest inside and the bottom of the cage is padded with layers of paper towels. His food and water dishes are near his resting bowl so that they are within his reach. You can create ramps for Baldwin that he can hop up on and make sure that food and water dishes are easily accessible. Padding is important and you can use layers of paper towels, non stringy towels or non pilling fleece. A wider cage is much better than a higher cage. Use platforms and flat perches which you may have to wrap with vet wrap. Definitely read through @Brittany0208 's posts. She has done great things to create a safe and fun set up for her Vasa, Java.