• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No feathers

Pam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Pamela Bolton
I have a Cocktail that I rescued two years ago. She is in with 6 other birds, also rescued. Of late she has plucked all the feathers off her neck and she looks like a rubber chicken. She has gotten aggressive with the other birds in a 7 ft flight cage. I have moved her to a cage of her own but the problem of no feathers is still there. Can anyone suggest a reason for this action and what I can do about it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are many reasons for plucking. I would advise that you take her to the vet to make sure that this is not a physiological problem. It could be a behavioral problem (frustration, being picked on by the other 'tiels) but it's better to be safe than sorry and the vet can determine if it is behavioral vs medical/physiological.
BTW, welcome to AA.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Are you sure she did the plucking and wasn't plucked by another bird? It will take awhile for the feathers to grown back. Does she have toys to play with? And a vet check may be in order.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tiels, or any other bird cannot pluck the feathers from they're neck. The feathers should grow back...good to keep her separate and a wellness check wouldn't hurt.:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! As mentioned, your bird was probably plucked by other birds. You should probably take her to the vet for a check up.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
I think it's a good idea to keep her by herself until you can figure out if it's a physiological problem or another bird is doing the plucking. I agree with some others........not sure she can pluck herself on the neck like that, unless it's farther down the neck into the chest region. A vet check would be a good idea.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!