• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nirmala's Update - Opinion on video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
So, I had put Nirmala back down in the display case to eat some pellets since she was crying and I'm not allowed to feed her formula, yet, and, to my surprise, she's able to lift off and land over a very limited distance. I decided to record this to see what you all think of it.

For those that didn't read my previous thread on her, her wings are clipped down to the first and second primaries, not of my own wishes, though. I'm aiming for full flight and was told that it may not be 1 or 2 years before she can fly because of this.

Does this look promising?

Also, as another part of this 'update', she wasn't so find of the sweet potato/oatmeal deal, so I'm trying out other vegetables and fruit with her. She's a little stubborn about it, but hopefully she'll accept them in time.~

Last edited by a moderator:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think they left the primaries long enough and she's a real light weight baby right now in the very middle of the weaning process, she was able to jump. Even birds that can't fly can jump pretty well. I still don't think she's going to fly anytime soon for you, but definitely watch her outside. A little breeze at her light weight and you'll be surprised how far she can go. Keep working on those veggies. Just based on what I've read from other people on these boards, babies weaned to pellets only are really, really hard to get eating fresh. If necessary, maybe soak the pellets in warm fruit juice just to get her used to picking up wet things in her beak wtih different flavors. Just remember not to leave anything like this with her for more than a couple hours becuase of bacterial growth. And make sure she also has access to the dry pellets. You don't want to send any mixed messages or cause her anxiety if she doesn't know the fruit juice soak is safe or edible.
Melssa

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'll review the video in a few minutes. But why are you not allowed to handfeed your baby bird? Your baby is hungry and needs to be fed.:(

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
She will be able to fly. No worries. Don't let them clip her wings any more though.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That poor little Cockatiel stuck in the middle of 2 big birds, s/he must feel so tiny!

Anyway, looks promising to me. :D She is beautiful! I watched another video of her excited and she sure is a happy girl, so full of personality. :)

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
Something in the pet store's management, I don't understand the full situation, but I've about had a beakful (har!) of the way they raise their birds...but keep in mind, I'm six hours away from her right now.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
duplicate :(

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Mix coconut milk in with the sweet potatoes. Different yummy taste! Remember she is a baby and does not know all things are food. She will play with food first before eating. They will learn to eat healthy from other birds or from you. My Scarlet eats or tries ANYTHING I put in his cage. As a baby he played with stuff then munched. No problem eating now. Mine also like the gerber starter food that is puffed dried ie blueberries and sweet potatoes are the ones I have now. I give them this as a "snack" that is healthier than doritos or chips!!! They really like them and I think they taste pretty good.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
So sorry for not responding to this! D:

I think they left the primaries long enough and she's a real light weight baby right now in the very middle of the weaning process, she was able to jump. Even birds that can't fly can jump pretty well. I still don't think she's going to fly anytime soon for you, but definitely watch her outside. A little breeze at her light weight and you'll be surprised how far she can go. Keep working on those veggies. Just based on what I've read from other people on these boards, babies weaned to pellets only are really, really hard to get eating fresh. If necessary, maybe soak the pellets in warm fruit juice just to get her used to picking up wet things in her beak wtih different flavors. Just remember not to leave anything like this with her for more than a couple hours becuase of bacterial growth. And make sure she also has access to the dry pellets. You don't want to send any mixed messages or cause her anxiety if she doesn't know the fruit juice soak is safe or edible.
Melssa
I should of thought about the fruit juice, as mixing in sweet or tasty things into food is used with Sugar Gliders. Definitely going to give that a shot.~ I won't be able to try this until she comes home, though, as she goes right onto the display box when I come in for work, and, if I left it before I went home, one, it'd be there all night, and, two, they'd assume I didn't clean her cage, or some sort, and fuss about it along with dumping it and filling it with dry.

Thankfully, she should be coming home next week :heart:

I'll review the video in a few minutes. But why are you not allowed to handfeed your baby bird? Your baby is hungry and needs to be fed.:(
She's still, technically, owned by the store until she's entirely payed off, and lives at the store until that's done, as well. I'm not allowed to feed her anything they don't feed her, and I'm not allowed to hand-feed any baby.... She got taken off her formula about 4 days ago.. It's so hard for me to see her be blatantly ignored when she's crying, especially when I'm clocked in and can't comfort her. Even then, it's heart wrenching because all I -can- do is comfort her when she cries instead of giving her even a little formula. I offer her pellets, and that sometimes quiets her down, but most of the time she nibbles on it a little, drops it, and cries more. She should be coming home next week, though.~

She will be able to fly. No worries. Don't let them clip her wings any more though.
I certainly hope so~ Though, if her flight feathers start coming back in, though I think her second molt isn't due for a few months, they'll have to clip them. I asked and they said they had to if the store owners told them to, even if they support my decision. She'll be coming home with me next, week, though, so they won't have that chance.~

That poor little Cockatiel stuck in the middle of 2 big birds, s/he must feel so tiny!

Anyway, looks promising to me. :D She is beautiful! I watched another video of her excited and she sure is a happy girl, so full of personality. :)
Thanks! :D She's turning out to be a real character. Loves to show off around crowds, especially to little kids.~

Mix coconut milk in with the sweet potatoes. Different yummy taste! Remember she is a baby and does not know all things are food. She will play with food first before eating. They will learn to eat healthy from other birds or from you. My Scarlet eats or tries ANYTHING I put in his cage. As a baby he played with stuff then munched. No problem eating now. Mine also like the gerber starter food that is puffed dried ie blueberries and sweet potatoes are the ones I have now. I give them this as a "snack" that is healthier than doritos or chips!!! They really like them and I think they taste pretty good.
Oh, so baby food is ok? I was weary of that because I was afraid that they could be risky. You never know how some companies process their foods. I remember going through a lot of it for my gliders, though, so I guess it's not bad. They're pretty sensitive to stuff like that, as well.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
So sorry for not responding to this! D:

I should of thought about the fruit juice, as mixing in sweet or tasty things into food is used with Sugar Gliders. Definitely going to give that a shot.~ I won't be able to try this until she comes home, though, as she goes right onto the display box when I come in for work, and, if I left it before I went home, one, it'd be there all night, and, two, they'd assume I didn't clean her cage, or some sort, and fuss about it along with dumping it and filling it with dry.

Thankfully, she should be coming home next week :heart:

She's still, technically, owned by the store until she's entirely payed off, and lives at the store until that's done, as well. I'm not allowed to feed her anything they don't feed her, and I'm not allowed to hand-feed any baby.... She got taken off her formula about 4 days ago.. It's so hard for me to see her be blatantly ignored when she's crying, especially when I'm clocked in and can't comfort her. Even then, it's heart wrenching because all I -can- do is comfort her when she cries instead of giving her even a little formula. I offer her pellets, and that sometimes quiets her down, but most of the time she nibbles on it a little, drops it, and cries more. She should be coming home next week, though.~

I certainly hope so~ Though, if her flight feathers start coming back in, though I think her second molt isn't due for a few months, they'll have to clip them. I asked and they said they had to if the store owners told them to, even if they support my decision. She'll be coming home with me next, week, though, so they won't have that chance.~

Thanks! :D She's turning out to be a real character. Loves to show off around crowds, especially to little kids.~

Oh, so baby food is ok? I was weary of that because I was afraid that they could be risky. You never know how some companies process their foods. I remember going through a lot of it for my gliders, though, so I guess it's not bad. They're pretty sensitive to stuff like that, as well.

My glider only gets certain baby food. My aracari was great at eating and one had to be very careful not to over do iron. Same thing for the gliders. Gliders need a good cal/phos ratio to stay healthy. In fact having a glider helps me feed the birds healthier foods. I do minimal baby food but do use the "puffs" Easy for a bird to hold and a nice treat for a baby. Put the puffs on a small flat plastic toy and he can pick at the food there, He will love playing with things so just mix dry food in...foraging activity. I know weaning but I also hate seeing babies cry...they are insecure or needing attention for some other reason.

When home don't just give formula though. Present food easy to reach and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.