• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nippy Moustache Parakeet baby

Masters

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

I am very new here (i have been reading forums for ages but only now needed a reason to make my own account). I have recently homed a 3 month old hand reared baby moustache parakeet. This is my first baby bird (although not my first bird) and s/he settled very quickly and thrived on our attention. S/He has been extremely sweet, eager to share our food, playing and sleeping on me, flying to me when i walk out the room and very cuddly and generally extremely gentle and sweet. Only curiously nibbling our fingers.

Over the last few days s/he has started lunging for my fingers and biting hard, at the moment he is still just a baby so he doesnt have enough power to actually hurt me but I am concered as he ages that it will become a habit and will be real bites. He has had no previous experience to he fearful of hands and he always happily comes straight to my hand when i open his cage and steps up absolutely fine. It is when i go to take him off my shoulder or moving him to a different hand that it can happen or if we interupt him playing or sometimes for no reason at all. He never shows any signs of being moody or agitated and just all of a sudden lunges at me and bites as many fingers as he can. It is not EVERY time but enough to start worrying me that its going to develop into something more serious. I understand we are still getting to know each other and building trust so my questions are -

1. Is this normal for babies to be territorial/behaving this way and will they grow out of it?
2. Is there something I can do to show him that lunging and biting is not ok?
3. I dont react when he bites as i dont want him to learn that biting makes me go away, so what should I do when he bites?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Having no reaction is good. When he bites/lunges put him down calmly then go and do other things. In 10 mins if he looks like he’s calmed down try again. If you can try to watch his body language to avoid a bite all together

Mimi75

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhegan
I had this issue with my baby (a completely different species ). Sounds like you might be interrupting him when he’s in the ‘zone’ and he simply doesn’t want to do whatever you are asking. He’s probably told you in a subtle birdie way and you didn’t catch it.

Try setting it up so that he has to take a couple steps toward you to step up if he wants to and if he doesn’t have a ‘hey, that’s cool too attitude ‘ that way he will learn you won’t force him to do things all the time. If it’s something necessary like getting off your shoulder because you need to cook on the stove. Lure him with a favourite veg or toy and then express appreciation for his cooperation. It sounds weird but I think saying things like ‘will you please, I really need you to do this and thanks for that ‘ effects your body language and tone of voice and I think they pick up on that.

With my girl I think because she was usually pretty happy to interact. I would be a little oblivious about moving her around to suit me. She would sometimes think something that could translate to ‘oh gawd her comes miss bossy pants again! I love her but the girl cannot take a hint!’ Then I’d get a chomp.

Hopefully you get some more replies.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
:wow: What a beautiful bird! :kiss2:

TIME, give the baby time in a casual way. It takes time to learn stuff. :idea: