• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nikki

Rock

Sitting on the front steps
I am about to adopt a 3 yr old Moluccan, Nikki.
She has spent the last 2 yrs with a family who no longer has time for her. She was a free uncaged bird living with 2 dogs and 2 adults. She NEVER was in her cage. She stayed with her cage but usually remained on top or roamed the house if the humans were home...but when humans were away, Nikki was uncaged to do whatever. She never got into trouble, nor had any problems with the pit or the yorkie. However, she did miss her humans. She began to pluck. Then off to the farm she went for fear she would get worse if she didn't have more activity. The farm is very active and she resides in a house with 12 cats and 6 dogs and a chocken. She still is never caged.
I found her the very day she was given up. We became fast friends but she refused to step up. Finally, after several visits, she stepped up. At one point, during a still unsteady step up, a jet flew over the farm, too close, and Nikki was so startled, she almost fell off of me and then attacked me. Blood pouring from both hands. I probably should have gotten a few stitches, but I'm wrapped pretty tight...they should heal.
I saw her again today and we were good.
I am getting nervous, do you think her last three years of freedom means I will not be able to get her into a bedtime routine. I think she needs better rest and confidence in my comings and goings.
Comments please...on anything that may have raised a red flag.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@JLcribber @Sarahmoluccan - anything jump out to you?

She would definitely need an area where she can safely play uncaged. I would eventually work on step up training with a perch and getting her used to a carrier so she can be taken to the vet, etc.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! :)

Roaming free can definitely be hazardous, I've heard of it working but I'd never recommend it. It only takes one time for something to go really wrong. Birds can be really adaptable so it is possible to change that habit but some changes can be really hard on some birds too. This is definitely not the ideal situation to start from.

Unfortunately I do see some red flags but I've also seen Moluccans do well and change with a new and better environment. It does take a huge commitment. Nikki's age also concerns me. Around 3-5 years of age is when cockatoos begin to reach sexual maturity. So you'll be adopting her during a tough time and her personality will likely go through changes.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what else to tell you. The biting does concern me also but it could be she was just scare as you thought. One thing is I'd recommend you to get a DNA test (if one hasn't been done already) just to be sure you are dealing with a female. I have seen aggressive cockatoos overcome that problem and become sweethearts. So if she does more become more aggressive it is possible to work through that problem.

I would like to know more about you and Nikki. First how much experience do you have with birds? Like Have you ever own one before, ect.. Also what's your currently living situation? Do you live on your own or have a family/roommates? What the size of her cage? And where do you plan on putting in your home? Has she ever been a vet? Is she able to fly? Sorry for all the questions but they will better help me and others understand your situation and give better advice :)

Rock

Thanks for the replies...
Sarahmoluccan...I appreciate all the questions. I am concerned about making her 'a happy to be caged bird' when I do errands or when it's bedtime. Otherwise, I would be very willing to have her out. Any help is appreciated.
I am told she is definitely a she...but no papers or anything.
Yes, I know she's been to the vet, but not with me. Her nails are over grown, IMO and need attention.
She is clipped and may need to be trimmed. I will be keeping her clipped for the time being.
I am recently widowed and I have 3 kids. 20, 17 and 14.
I live in a rancher and she will be placed in the LR by the front window next to the couch in view of the DR and TV.
Her cage is huge and beautiful. She has broken the lock on the main gate, so it is held shut with a tie. She doesn't seem to bother with the tie. The second smaller gate is open at all times and she uses it to come greet us.
She goes in her cage to eat but she naps and plays all over her cage. No real floor time that I have seen yet---however, her old owner says she travels through the house often...but not so at this farm.
My experience---Before kids, in the early 90's...my husband and I bought a baby Umbrella. Fed it baby food and weaned it to seeds and pellets. We loved her so so very much. During the weaning process, she had a couple colds. Then upper resp infections. It wasn't long before she was diagnosed with Beak and feather. She was incapable of beating these chronic infections. She became worse and was even hospitalized a few times. We unfortunately were strongly encouraged to euthanize...it was one of the hardest things I ever did. Scarred us forever and we had always planned to get another when the kids were old enough. But now my husband is gone, and this opportunity has presented itself to me so my kids think "it's a gift" and "Dad would want you to take this on". I am compelled to bring her home and make it all wonderful, but I am very concerned about her 24/7 freedom. I can't seem to wrap my head around it. If something were to happen to her, or one of my other pets, I am responsible...I can't have another death on my watch...but I have only known her for a month, and I think of her all day...I would really love for this to work.
Uughh...sorry for the rant
:scared6:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss of your husband and your Umbrella. So tragic :(

Your passion for Nikki and her wellbeing is so evident in your post. And it sounds like you could provide an excellent home. I'm a little concerned that you only had experience with a young bird and once hormones start raging it can be quite a challenge. But we all were beginners once with that and had to work through different curve balls our birds will throw at us. And I really like how determined you are. :)

Each bird is an individual so its unfortunately really hard to say how she would react to not being free 24/7. I think it should be doable if done slowly. Another solution could be to provide her with own room and have play stand in the living room. And let her be free in that room. I dunno if that even an option for you but it is it definitely worth considering. I think that might the best solution if possible.

Another thing you should know is Moluccans are more prone to plucking and self mutilating than other species of parrots. Even ones who are well care for it can become a problem. I recently lost my senior moluccan who was a self mutilator. Its heartbreaking to see them go through that. It's hard to say what triggers it and I've seen Moluccans go through changes without any major behavioral problems happening. So it should be on your radar of things that could happen but definitely not inevitable.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what else to tell you. But I wish you, your family and Nikki all the best :) And if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I'm sure others will chime in too :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome.

I am compelled to bring her home and make it all wonderful, but I am very concerned about her 24/7 freedom. I can't seem to wrap my head around it. If something were to happen to her, or one of my other pets, I am responsible...

This is all about environment. You can easily create boundaries/barriers so it still feels like freedom but it's actually safe and secure. It's called a bird proofed room or an indoor aviary. You can't expect to bring this bird in without do some adapting to the environment to make it work and be safe.

Sarah is right about this bird still being a juvenile. Moluccans are the biggest of the TOOs and actually mature between 5 and 7 years old. Big changes during that time. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.

If you do this we will support you. This will be as big of a challenge as you've ever taken on and you've had some big ones already. I wish you luck.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you so much for taking this wonderful parrot into heart and home.

It always worries me when a bird has free reign. They really are two to three year old child equivalents and I sure as heck wouldn't allow a child that young to wander freely. Nothing looks dangerous to them at that age.

I have always had Macaws and Cockatoos confuse me - @JLcribber and @Sarahmoluccan are Cockatoo experts.

Rock

JLcribber...thanks for the read...I am concerned with arousal overload...Nikki loves to get rubs, and all the members of the farm are in and out through the day giving her head and full back rubs including under the wings. I've told them it's arousing her, but I believe they are still doing it. I am only allowed to visit 2 days a week, so I do not have much control. She's only 3, isn't she a bit young for being hormonal? Will I have any hope of breaking these freedom and arousal issues?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can do anything you have the patience and persistence to do. We can't tell you if you have those qualities - plus all of the love you will need.

I can guarantee that the knowledgeable and experienced owners on this forum will be available to help you every step of the way.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and thank you for considering adopting Nikki.
Sorry about the loss of your husband and your Umbrella 'too.
Patience is the key and hope that things work out for you and Nikki.

Rock

Can any of you comment on this....I've been warned that a parrot can sense fear-like a dog-and can sense when a female is menstruating...I have teen girls...I have never heard this before...I am not scared of her, however, I am cautious, which I think I should be with any bird ...TIA

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Any animal can sense fear, hurt, sadness, ect. However the menstruating part I have never heard, and I have both males and females. The only animal I have heard that can sense that are male iguanas

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wanted to welcome you here @Rock. So sorry about your loss of your husband and other sweet bird. You are so sweet to think of adopting this bird, and I hope it will go well if your heart leads you that way! :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Can any of you comment on this....I've been warned that a parrot can sense fear-like a dog-and can sense when a female is menstruating...I have teen girls...I have never heard this before...I am not scared of her, however, I am cautious, which I think I should be with any bird ...TIA
They read body language and emotion on whole different level far above ours. But they are not dogs and won't give a hoot about your female thing. Unless you turn into the beech from heel. Then I would probably avoid you too. :)