• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nightmares

Maxii

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Max
Sometimes in the middle of the night my tiels start flying through their sleeping cage and are in a panic. I always assumed this was because they had a nightmare. But is that true? This doesn''t happen daily. But it happens at least once a week I would say.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It’s called a night fright. Mice bugs light from a passing car. Do they have a night light?

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I end up with similar frights during the night thinking that my wife is going to yell at me again for buying too many toys for Pilo... its a nightmare and... Oh, sorry wrong topic! :sneaky:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I end up with similar frights during the night thinking that my wife is going to yell at me again for buying too many toys for Pilo... its a nightmare and... Oh, sorry wrong topic! :sneaky:
:hehe: how many toys does he have?

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Do you cover their cage at night? If possible, leave it uncovered, partially covered to let in a little light, or get them a night light. Complete darkness can worsen their night frights and increase the risk of them hurting themselves. Also, try to reduce any disturbances to their sleep as much as possible.

I personally find birds are more likely to get night frights if they've had a stressful day, so they may also just be caused by nightmares as well as getting spooked. I've seen my childhood dog bark in his sleep, so animals can certainly dream to a degree, just like us. I've heard cockatiels are more prone to night frights than other species. My budgies get them every now and then too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hey Max,

Recently @Ripshod ´s bird Tau had nightfrights, it turns out they were brought on by his budgie falling off his perch in the night which spooked the Tiel.

Where do your budgies sleep?

Also, as you have only had the Tiels for 3 weeks, are they getting stressed by you trying to build relatioship with them?

:coffeescreen: bahahahah:roflmao:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Without using a night vision camera and recorder I would never have figured out my tiel's night frights. One of my budgies had a balance problem and would fall during the night triggering mass pandemonium.
I see you have budgies too. Can I suggest splitting the species between rooms at bedtime? Perhaps have the tiel in your bedroom with nightlights so you're right there if it happens. Of course you'll have to be quiet and rely on the nightlights when you go to bed.
I don't have any more to add for now, but a little lateral thinking will help you figure this out.