• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night frights

CoCo-Stocks

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all!
I got a cockatiel in September at 6 weeks old. I finished the weaning process and he's as sweet as can be. His wing were already clipped when I got him. He wants to fly and I'd love for him to be able to, however, he keeps having night frights and breaking blood feathers. Should I be clipping the other side of his feathers to even out everything for his balance? Like I said, I want his wing to grow but I've had to pluck 5 out of one side! How do I stop this? He has a night light right below and I have 2 dogs but they sleep in my bed so there's no harassment. What should I do? He's 8 months and has never experienced flying fully...please help

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He should have been clipped on both sides evenly, anyway the night frights have nothing to do with him being clipped nor will it help to to prevent them or injury . My cockatiel had them and what worked best was putting him in a sleeping cage , it is a travel carrier with only two perches. He sleeps covered and without a nightlight. If you are in the same room when your bird has a night fright, turn on the lights and start talking to him. Any of your or the dog noise could make him feel unsafe and have a fright, best if he can sleep alone in a dark room.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
maybe add some "white noise"? I have read about several AA members having to do this with their birds, both small and large birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would leave the feathers on the unbroken side alone. He will eventually grow his feathers out on the damaged side. As far as night frights go, make sure there aren't any lights from cars driving by shining on his cage, or no tv or cell phone lights, make sure your night light isn't too bright, make sure their are no strange noises that he is not used to, using a dark cover or putting him in a dark room might help, and white noise is a good idea. This is my set up:

My birds each have a small cage they sleep in. They sleep in a fairly quiet room on a shelf in the closet. There is the dimmest night light on the floor and the doors to the closet are almost closed. There is a short curtain that covers the open part. I have only had three night frights between all four birds, and I know two of them were caused by a flashlight shinning in the room. (Unintentionally by my daughter.). My dog sleeps in that room too, and the birds are used to his noises, so he doesn't bother them.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
try white noise, even a air purifier will work for white noise. do you cover him at night? if so try only covering the front and sides of the cage leave the back open to the night light.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Mine have a good night light on and cover the top of the cage and the back only and sleep in a quiet room they stopped having night frights altogether. But also they need to learn all the sounds of the house so it could take a few weeks to be calm on an evening.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'tiel who has night frights is covered on 3 sides of the cage and I leave a light on at the lowest setting.

CoCo-Stocks

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! He stays in the living room in his cage when he sleeps. I leave a night light on and leave his cage uncovered. The frights are happening in the middle of the night at some point I think because I never hear it happen, just wake up and he has blood and broken feathers. I got a parakeet a few days ago and put their cages next to each other. I'm hoping he'll be confident now maybe because he has company when he sleeps. I think I'll start covering part the front of his cage and leave the back open where his night light is

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It might be better if you cover his cage at night to give him a sense of security. My birds can't sleep well unless I cover their cage at night.