• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nice find at auction. My Zon loves it.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That's fabulous - can't believe you got it for so little!!! What have you put in the tray at the bottom?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's fabulous - can't believe you got it for so little!!! What have you put in the tray at the bottom?
Sometimes you can find good deals at auctions or even Craig's list. Last year, I found one very large cage made for macaw, my grey uses it now after I cleaned it and disinfected it. The whole lot came with cage, 4 foot brand new perch with wheels, a new stainless steel table top perch, a 6 foot jungle gym with ladders and tree perches, a 5 drawer chest on wheels, Chuck full of unopened toys for birds and tons of toy making items. ( about 2-3 hundred in toys alone) all of these for 200 bucks....was a deal of a life time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 .

I went through about 12 pgs. Some really cool antiques. I love the head vases. My Friend collects them & all the carnival glass :heart::heart: pretty :)

I checked & we have an auction place near me but there's no way to preview the item. I'm disabled. If I'm going out I want to be sure to have @ least one possible buy. Not just a wasted few hours. Oh well! Maybe they'll change it in time. I was gonna have my kiddo check FB for me. I'm terrible & don't do the FB stuff. Lol!

@tka .

Thats why asked about cleaning, (your concern about illness) Anyone can spray a heavy disinfectant on steel but w/ wood being so very poreous...

I could bleach wood we have done it w/ our aquariums driftwood, but my hubby handled it & was sure it was totally dried & rinsed multiple times before placing the item into the tank until the water hit its proper ph no fish were even considered. With Buddy I don't want to risk that being illness or bleach.

:grouphug2:
Oh yea, they do have some cool antiques. Once found a perfect condition bird cage, made of steel and wood, was gorgeous, from mid 1800's. Somebody really rich at the time had this made for a parrot. Stood 4 feet high, 3 feet wide. This cage was worth 4500 dollars because of its rarity and uniqueness. The bidding went quite high on this!!! We didn't bid on it..but darn nice! My birds would of chewed it to tooth picks!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Wow...that is a great deal!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 .

I went through about 12 pgs. Some really cool antiques. I love the head vases. My Friend collects them & all the carnival glass :heart::heart: pretty :)

I checked & we have an auction place near me but there's no way to preview the item. I'm disabled. If I'm going out I want to be sure to have @ least one possible buy. Not just a wasted few hours. Oh well! Maybe they'll change it in time. I was gonna have my kiddo check FB for me. I'm terrible & don't do the FB stuff. Lol!

@tka .

Thats why asked about cleaning, (your concern about illness) Anyone can spray a heavy disinfectant on steel but w/ wood being so very poreous...

I could bleach wood we have done it w/ our aquariums driftwood, but my hubby handled it & was sure it was totally dried & rinsed multiple times before placing the item into the tank until the water hit its proper ph no fish were even considered. With Buddy I don't want to risk that being illness or bleach.

:grouphug2:
A good wash and rinse... A couple times then let air out completely for a week.
Remember, a virus or contamination needs a host, and food to survive... Good wash scrub and set for a week...repeat of necessary...always quarantine used cages, perches and that. Your birds are worth letting new items sit for a couple weeks before they use it...fully clean it. Even if it's brand new.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
What a bargain! Gotta love it when you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.
Bet your birds love it.
Yes they love it.....quarantined it for a couple weeks for a good wash and air out. Wasn't dirty, but I don't take chances. Found many items out there some brand new for pennies on the dollar for birds.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Nice find!

The only thing I'd be worried about is thoroughly disinfecting it...you don't know why it ended up on an auction site. The last bird to use it may have died of something contagious.
Not hard, no different than say washing out your dog dish for your dog. Or washing your own dishes.... A good wash, scrub and week air dry. Repeat of necessary. A virus or contamination needs food or a host or it dies...so good disinfectant and long air dry is important. No rush ever for birds, they can wait till it's all set to go.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A good wash and rinse... A couple times then let air out completely for a week.
Remember, a virus or contamination needs a host, and food to survive... Good wash scrub and set for a week...repeat of necessary...always quarantine used cages, perches and that. Your birds are worth letting new items sit for a couple weeks before they use it...fully clean it. Even if it's brand new.

Yes, & I even have room out of the house to store for awhile. I've read stuff over the years about lying things in the sun to disinfect. Just not sure if this works @ all w/ bird stuff. I'd still scrub it down w/ vinegar & water or maybe even ramp it up & use something stronger. The sun bath would be just a final loop on the cleaning go around.

:hug9: