• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly Widowed Parrotlet Seems So Alone

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for all the warm wishes.

The two are still cozy during the day.

At night when I shut off their light, there is some discord over sleeping spots. As far as I can see, the new bird does not want to share the perch with the old one. But my old one is so desperate to be close that she crawls up the cage and hangs upside down like a bat to be next to the her friend without sitting on the same perch. (And they share it during the day!)

But I am glad that this seems to be the only hiccup in the bonding.

IMG_5652.JPG

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Get another perch (same one) and place so close you can to the other one.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Get another perch (same one) and place so close you can to the other one.
I agree with Eloy, maybe a second perch just like the first, close enough but apart enough so that your widowed parrotlet still gets her dose of "company" at night. I feel for the little girl but I'm also glad that you found a companion who appears to get along with her.

Last edited:

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I just read the whole story, what a happy ending :xflove: that picture of her hanging upside down is so cute/pathetic in her attempt to be closer to her new friend

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I wonder if they would share a platform perch?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.
It's good that you got a new friend for your parrotlet and that they generally get along well. They look very cute together.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:swoon:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
With finches I always rearrange the cage if adding a new bird. Perhaps you could try this.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Update!

The two are doing very well. The bond is not quite the same as with my other bird, but they are together.

Things hit a bit of a rough patch a few weeks ago. I forgot to close one of the doors, and my disabled bird crawled out on her own (she had never ventured out by herself before). When I discovered her perched on top of the cage, I figured she needed a little breathing room and let her be, but that night when I entreated her to go back in the cage, I got a very firm refusal. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I set up a food and water station outside the cage, which is where she remained for two days!

After that she went back in on her own accord, and the two have been getting along. Maybe she got fed up and decided to teach the new one a lesson by moving out. (I have seen it work with humans!)

Also, the platform perch is a success. (Thanks, @Lwalker for the idea!)They alternate between their pink perch and the platform, so I think it will stay, despite the not insignificant amount of poop that I have to scrape off it.

IMG_1154.JPG

The two birds don't have much use for me, but now they have each other.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The two birds don't have much use for me, but now they have each other.
I'm so happy for them, they are so cute together and you are a great person that only did think for their sake! ♥
But they do have use for you. Now they have their own slave. :D

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I also have to parrotlets who are inseparable! I also now feel alone sometimes. Carmen was always sitting on my shoulder and would never ever leave. I also never heard her really sing either. We got Diablo as a re-home and they are so happy and Carmen is so content with beak grinding all the time and always "teaching" Diablo how to groom her. hee hee hee. She is the queen of the room.

I love them both. They both step up and down. Very calm and sing all the time. Fight all the time and love each other a lot. I'm glad you are experiencing the same! Yay!!