• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly registered!

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
Hello, I’m new to the site.

I have two zebra finches, Chi and Fu, that love each other so much. And recently I got a young barred parakeet I call Apollo that just loves humans! He’s around 4 months old.

First question is... how long should Apollo be sleeping? Usually when I come home he wants to climb all over me but today he’s just sleeping.

I’d love to get more birds one day!

JBL

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:greet14: Welcome!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Linnies are wonderful parrots. How are his poops? Is he otherwise eating and drinking normally? Has he had a bump or a fall recently? Has he had a visit to an avian vet since you got him? Welcome to AA.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:welcome:

If you feel like he's sleeping too much, there might be an illness. Birds hide their illness from us. My parakeets sleep the same as my other birds, including finches -- about 10 or so hours at night and they take an afternoon nap - that's pretty much all.

Do you have an avian veterinarian?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! I have two linnies, and there are several other members who have linnies, maybe check out the Linnie Landing thread. :) My boys typically sleep about 11-12 hours. I do catch them napping during the day a bit. Is Apollo on a mostly set schedule? We'd love to see pics of all of your birds, :cool:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Yes, come over to the Linnie Landing, FYI also called Barred Parakeets or Catherine Parakeets. Another member joined recently who currently lives in Japan. Is that is what your user name means?

My Linnie has lights out from 8PM-7AM. She also naps in the afternoon and other times. Otherwise she is lively and seems well rested.

We would love to see pictures of the finches and Linnie.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcome2::meet: JBL, I think babies tend to sleep more than adults, so maybe Apollo was just tired?

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone and thanks for the replies. Apollo was up early this morning and active, he seems very healthy in general. I think he isn’t getting enough sleep at night, so was making up a lot during the day and evening. I’ve had him on about 8 hours a night, sometimes less, so it looks like that wasn’t enough. Early lights out for him from tonight!
I got him from a breeder out in the countryside, an old lady who seemed to know what she was doing. Same place I got one of the finches.
Yes I’m in Japan so if there are other users in this part of the world I’d love to make contact!
I haven’t taken Apollo to an avian vet for a checkup yet, but maybe I should? I’ll check out the Linnie forum soon too!

JBL

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Omg Apollo and Chi are adorable!

See you over on Linnie Landing! Read thru and you will see our new Japanese member and the story of my son who has lived extensively in Osaka.