• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly disabled budgie - help?

Happy’s mom

Moving in
My little sweetheart Happy became ill late this fall. He is 3 years old. I took him to an avian vet, and she did a full exam and tested his droppings for any infection. His droppings were normal, but she said she thought he had possible metal toxicity due to an old toy in his cage - a bell necklace that he LOVED and I didn’t realize had started to deteriorate. I feel absolutely horrible. The vet gave him a shot to counteract the metal - this was 3 weeks ago. He is feeling much better - he is eating good - I am in the process of switching him from a seed diet to Harrison’s. His feathers look great and he looks alert. Even though he has gained strength and energy, he has not regained his grip strength. He can still perch, but he does a lot of balance checks and it takes him a lot of effort to climb and get settled. His wings seem to work fine - he can fly while out of his cage, and he uses his wings to flutter to the bottom of his cage to preen. He was a very vocal budgie with several words in his vocabulary and lots of mumbles and chirps. He hasn’t talked since he got sick and rarely chirps. He also doesn’t play with any of his toys anymore. I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this? It has been 3 weeks since his avian vet visit - and I am contemplating making another appointment to see if there is anything else that can be done for him to regain his grip and his enthusiasm, I’m just wondering when would be a good length of time. I am also wondering if the plastic mesh that you can buy at craft stores is safe for birds? (I am so paranoid after the bell necklace!) I was thinking of attaching some to the outside of his cage so he can grip better to climb and his feet don’t go through the bars. I appreciate any advice! This picture is from before he got sick....he is beautiful and our family just loves him to pieces!!! 77263312-E99E-47B9-90E5-447CB5CCEDBD.png

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He is a real sweetie. I am sorry this happened. Budgies still need to eat seeds. Goldenfeast makes an outstanding pellet for small beaks. I buy it on goldenfeast direct.

I had a friend who had small conure that had a broken foot that was never fixed by the breeder. My friend did physical therapy for strengthening the birds foot and leg. This treatment was quite effective. Suggest you look into this. Please give us updates on your birds progress.

Happy’s mom

Moving in
I am currently mixing Harrisons about 60/40 with seed. And he has spray millet as a daily treat because he LOVES it :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
A pretty budgie he is.
I’d most likely stop switching him to pellets at this time.
Great that you offer him millet spray.
I too would suggest a birdie bread.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Aww bless him, poor little guy! Hope he recovers soon :heart:

What kind of perches does he have?? Have you tried giving him a flat shelf perch? he might like that, or maybe wrap some vet wrap round his current perches that might give him the extra grip?

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Sorry to hear about Happy's issues, but glad to know you're doing everything you can to help out. I too would consider at least one flat perch for him. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but if you'd like to see some flat perches, I have several on my Etsy shop (Perches4Change Bird Toys & Products by Perches4Change on Etsy Regarding the plastic mesh, I would rather try to use a natural fiber. You can even try to find a placemat made of natural fibers (w/out any treatment on it), and attach that to the side of the cage he most uses, for better gripping. Another option would be activity mats that you can hang on the side of the cage, to allow for better grip also. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out. A couple of my own budgies, towards the end of their life, needed a lot of extra support, so I've been there also. Here's to better days for Happy so that you and your family can continue to enjoy his wonderful presence! :)

Happy’s mom

Moving in
A pretty budgie he is.
I’d most likely stop switching him to pellets at this time.
Great that you offer him millet spray.
I too would suggest a birdie bread.
The vet highly recommended to start introducing the pellet food as soon as possible because upon his exam, he felt thin. I also bought Harrison’s “power treats” because it said it made transitioning easier - but they are HUGE! And very hard. I use a bowl and mug as a crucible and crush it into much smaller pieces. I think he is eating the power treat - so maybe he would enjoy the birdie bread.

Happy’s mom

Moving in
if you'd like to see some flat perches, I have several on my Etsy shop (Perches4Change Bird Toys & Products by Perches4Change on Etsy Regarding the plastic mesh, I would rather try to use a natural fiber. You can even try to find a placemat made of natural fibers (w/out any treatment on it), and attach that to the side of the cage he most uses, for better gripping. Another option would be activity mats that you can hang on the side of the cage, to allow for better grip also.
I am very interested in the wrapped flat perch from your store, I think I will go on and purchase it later today. Any recommendations for natural fiber mats? I considered this, but they all looked so big - he is a small bird and I want something his feet won’t poke through. The activity mats I saw online seemed to have a holed pattern that wouldn’t work well....

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I had an older bird that went through something similar recently.

I made platform perches; and made sure that they were well wrapped with fleece. When a bird loses its stability they also are prone to getting sores on their feet from perching on flat perches a little much.

Leave some regular perches in there as well; things like grapevine wood and such, gnarls and odd shapes to help with that.

I'd also keep most of the perches low to the floor of the cage; in this case I put fleece blankets as the lining to his cage and changed them daily. To both help him fall on something soft when he fell.. and to keep his feet from getting worse.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I am very interested in the wrapped flat perch from your store, I think I will go on and purchase it later today. Any recommendations for natural fiber mats? I considered this, but they all looked so big - he is a small bird and I want something his feet won’t poke through. The activity mats I saw online seemed to have a holed pattern that wouldn’t work well....
I was thinking of something along these lines: https://goo.gl/qQwWdY . Maybe try to check out your local Bed, Bath & Beyond? The ones I found worked well for mine because the wholes were so big that they wouldn't present a danger to their feet getting caught in it. I found them at a local discount store (TJ Max, Ross's, Marshall's, etc.). If you end up purchasing a perch from my store (and not pressure whatsoever, of course!), I'll be happy to include one such (place)mat that I have left over with your order. Just leave a note when placing the order so I don't forget. Hope this helps and again, thank you for taking such good care of your little guy! I'm sure he appreciates it!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very handsome budgie. Sorry that he was ill. Hope he will continue to improve and start to grip better.
Flattish perches and platforms and also best to have a cage that is wider than it is high.
Can wrap perches with vet wrap.
Keep food and water dishes low for easier access. Pad the bottom of the cage with non pilling fleece, non stringy towels or layers of paper towels in case he falls.
Also do some physical therapy with him. Have him try to grip your finger or different sized perches while you hold him. Open and close his toes and manipulate them gently. Only do these things if he is cooperative and just for a very short period of time a few times a day.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your budgie was ill, and I hope he continues to get stronger.
:hug8:

Happy’s mom

Moving in
If you end up purchasing a perch from my store (and not pressure whatsoever, of course!), I'll be happy to include one such (place)mat that I have left over with your order. Just leave a note when placing the order so I don't forget. Hope this helps and again, thank you for taking such good care of your little guy! I'm sure he appreciates it!
I could not figure out how to reply to your message earlier today! There is no "Reply" option in the conversation threat??? Anyway - yes, that was me who ordered the flat perch and thank you so much for the placemat too! I saw something at the pet store yesterday, but it was big, thick and cumbersome, so I didn't buy it. But I did find a beautiful used cage for sale that is lower and flatter. It looks beautiful and clean, but I want to wash it good and need to get a some more perching options before I start letting him use it.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
yes, that was me who ordered the flat perch and thank you so much for the placemat too!
Awesome! I'll get your shipment together tonight then and it'll go with tomorrow's mail! Thank you!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
There is a Conversation tab included in the member section to the right on the header of the page. You can contact members privately there.

Usually we just continue the thread with all our answers and questions right here all together.

The little guy's leg problems could be from brain damage due to metal poisoning. A little manipulative Physical Therapy can help a lot, getting the old muscles and tendons back into shape to move the leg normally again. The platform perches of all types, the regular perches of different thicknesses are also helpful and exercise different muscles depending of their thickness and the type of product of which they are made. I used a lot of metal platform perches which I put a woven grass mat on to keep the metal from pulling heat from the feet. The cockatiel I used these perches on was one which broke his toes as a chick and never regained use of his left foot again. He did excellently until is fatal stroke at age 14 years.

Happy’s mom

Moving in
I had a scare with Happy yesterday - he all of a sudden couldn’t keep on his perch at all. I had to take everything down to the floor of his cage for the night. I called his vet this morning and they got him right in. Unfortunately his neuropathy has progressed and he has almost completely lost the use of his legs . But, his overall health is still good. He was a little dehydrated, so she gave him an infusion of fluids. I wanted to make sure he wasn’t suffering! We are making adjustments to his cage and holding him a lot more! And let him fly around as much as he can - as long as he has safe landings. (He didn’t like to be touched much before - now he really seems to enjoy it!) Here he is resting on my lap on a piece of fleece, enjoying a major preening session :) We will continue to love him and keep him happy as long as he can still enjoy life - even if it is from the bottom of his cage!
C31D2395-4FC1-4DE8-86BD-C1D72C478CD4.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that the neuropathy has progressed. My sparrow has never been able to perch...broken legs and nerve damage from falling from his nest.
You are a very good bird parent for doing all you can for him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry Happy has taken a turn for the worst. :( It’s really sweet that he is soaking up all of your attention and likes to be held now.:heart:I hope he adapts well to his new limitations.
:hug8: