• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newish to birds and thinking of a love bird

Hayley

Moving in
Real Name
Hayley
Hey,

I've been doing some research and decided I to maybe get a lovebird as I feel like they're best suited to what I would like.

My main issue is a cage, I've looked up the recommended size but can't find a cage that matches the measurements. Are there any you would recommend? My mums a big fan of white so ideally white if possible =P

I've had budgies in the past so looking for something a bit different. I have other animals such as reptiles, I know they're not the same but I know you have to do your research and can't rush into these things. Would you recommend a love bird or another species?

Thank you for your time =)

Hayley

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They can be very feisty and opinionated little birds, so make sure you read up on them!

SongPrincess

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
I feel like this has been asked somewhere, but I don't remember where....are any cages NOT made in China?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel like this has been asked somewhere, but I don't remember where....are any cages NOT made in China?
Very few, to my knowledge. Any cages not made in China will likely be expensive, and many people balk at the idea of paying even $150-$200 for a made-in-China-cage. :(

Hayley

Moving in
Real Name
Hayley
From what I read I didn't think they we're like that. Are the majority of them feisty and opinionated? Or does this depend on where you get them from an much attention they get?

Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit on a cage. They're all either too small or too big here so would rather get a bigger one.

Thank you for the replies =D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
From what I read I didn't think they we're like that. Are the majority of them feisty and opinionated? Or does this depend on where you get them from an much attention they get?

Looks like I'll be spending quite a bit on a cage. They're all either too small or too big here so would rather get a bigger one.

Thank you for the replies =D
I think most of them are feisty and opinionated. LOL. They really don't know they're little birds and think they're "big". I fostered one and found him adorable, including his squawks. Some people find the noise though irritating. So make sure you're okay with the noises they make too.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara is a lovebird but she's quite gentle with me (and only me, the vet told me she was feisty and I was like "lol she's never like that with me)
But she also gets upset when I'm not paying 100% attention to her when she wants my attention.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, what @sunnysmom said! The majority of them do indeed tend to be feisty and opinionated! That's part of their charm, imo. :D I have one that is more on the shy/timid side, but she's a rarity. The rest are brassy as can be. It doesn't mean that they're not also capable of being quite adoring and cuddly as well. My boys are very loving and a couple of them love to snuggle up to me and nap under my chin or in my shirt. Only one of the girls will do that. :)

(Feisty doesn't have to mean bitey, though the girls can tend to be - it's more about their fresh attitudes and huge personalities.)

Hayley

Moving in
Real Name
Hayley
Thank you all so much for the replies and amazingly cute picture! Sorry I haven't replied I've been really busy and something actually happened.

So I did contact someone to enquire about their love bird. It looked super friendly and looked after with it's owner so I arranged to see it. I wasn't able to go so my sister and mum went instead.

I'm not sure if it was a good or bad thing but they brought him home! Was very unhappy when I saw him and heard what I did.

So it turns out he was a young teenager that's had a lot of birds and just gets rid of them when he gets bored! There were hardly any toys in it's cage which is quite small and the the food given with him was very basic. He would take him out the garden and had a post out there which he would go on as he's clipped his wings (not happy about that either).

He doesn't like me yet, which I'm not surprised about as I know this will take time. Although he has fallen asleep a couple of times when I've sung go him =) Not sure if it's coincidence or he actually find my horrible singing soothing!

I plan on getting him some new toys tomorrow and a bigger cage asap.

Feel like I've put myself in a bad position but I'm very willing to work as hard as I can to make him as happy as possible! Also glad I was able to get him away from him!

Finally, what kind of name is mope!? (Sorry in advance to anyone who likes the name!)

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hayley I'm glad you helped the poor birdy! Sounds like he was not in a good situation at all. He'll be on the right track with you. :) I'm sure that given time and patience, he will warm up to you.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
P.S. Of course he is cute! I can see the attitude, lol.