• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newish Hy

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I’m so excited and just wanted to share that the 14 year old female Hyacinith that became part of my flock early this summer is letting her feathers grow back in !! Yay!! I think she’s so interested in my male that she’s lost interest in plucking. Fingers crossed this continues !

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
ay!! I think she’s so interested in my male that she’s lost interest in plucking. Fingers crossed this continues !
Hopefully your male will mellow her out... My Female Majors has done just that for my male Majors , it's a beautiful sight to see, and experience, the completeness of a same species bond.

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
That's wonderful!! Good luck with the feathers, and the bond they're forming. Are you going to allow them to "go all the way," if they decide to? I remember you discussing it in the past.

Honestly, I’m kind of afraid to. I still have a hectic work schedule in the summer season. And if they produce offspring and can’t raise it I won’t be able to do the feedings. I could toss the eggs but yikes toss a hy egg? And my male is my bud and I’ve had him since he was a baby, he’s almost 11. I’ve heard he may not remain close to me if they are bonded (selfish of me huh ?) .... I’m not sure for sure

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I imagine they could form a strong attachment even if you don't intend it... But maybe they'd just have hormonal periods and be more normal the rest of the year, if they weren't actually set up for breeding? I can see not wanting to lose the bond you have with your boy. I can also see being afraid to commit to babies without knowing your schedule can accommodate them. Is your job flexible? Could a baby travel with you if needed? When I've had a litter of pups at my house, that was a huge commitment for me, even though my girl was a great mother and did everything right. I still needed to be around for cleaning and moving them in/out for recreation and stimulation. And that was short-lived compared to baby birds!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wonderful news! And she's beautiful.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I imagine they could form a strong attachment even if you don't intend it... But maybe they'd just have hormonal periods and be more normal the rest of the year, if they weren't actually set up for breeding? I can see not wanting to lose the bond you have with your boy. I can also see being afraid to commit to babies without knowing your schedule can accommodate them. Is your job flexible? Could a baby travel with you if needed? When I've had a litter of pups at my house, that was a huge commitment for me, even though my girl was a great mother and did everything right. I still needed to be around for cleaning and moving them in/out for recreation and stimulation. And that was short-lived compared to baby birds!!

Well... it’s my business so theoretically I could be flexible. But I would have to come home. My store is in a Busy resort area with lots of party people and we print garments in the back - neither area is suitable for a bird much less a baby - yucky drunks at the counter and lots of them and printing fumes in the back... but I could come home.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
She is so beautiful! I'm so happy she's losing interest in plucking ^_^ fingers crossed!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hopefully your male will mellow her out... My Female Majors has done just that for my male Majors , it's a beautiful sight to see, and experience, the completeness of a same species bond.
That is absolutely the secret to a happy captive bird life. :)

Honestly, I’m kind of afraid to. I still have a hectic work schedule in the summer season. And if they produce offspring and can’t raise it I won’t be able to do the feedings. I could toss the eggs but yikes toss a hy egg? And my male is my bud and I’ve had him since he was a baby, he’s almost 11. I’ve heard he may not remain close to me if they are bonded (selfish of me huh ?) .... I’m not sure for sure

If they've got the mind to do it. They're going to do it. And so what. A fake egg satisfies the urges just fine.

Once a friend. Always a friend. They're not superficial like humans. :)

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
That is absolutely the secret to a happy captive bird life. :)

If they've got the mind to do it. They're going to do it. And so what. A fake egg satisfies the urges just fine.

Once a friend. Always a friend. They're not superficial like humans. :)

Love it - I’m definitely over thinking it !

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Fantastic photos. I saw a Major M cockatoo in a near by bird store on FB. Only 1.5 years old. Makes my heart sick to think such a beautiful young bird selling in a store.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John