• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newest rescue...I am just appalled!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
that is so sad!! I think of my poor little tortoise and can't imagine how anyone can neglect such a sweet little face!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran

I agree there are alot of people who just don't know what they are doing is wrong and they really do try their hardest.
My Dad had an iggy when I was 12 or so. It died from MD. Neither my parents nor I knew any better at the time, and it had a good diet (I remember chopping up veggies every day for him) but the pet store never mentioned anything about needing a special light for him, or more importantly, that those lights that came with the too-small reptile kit need to be REPLACED even though they're still showing visible light. He did wonderfully for over a year, but slowly stopped looking so good and eventually stopped eating. By the time my parents took him to the vet, it was too late to save him.

I still miss Spot. He was a great iguana, very tolerant of 12 year old me putting a harness on him and carrying him around the house or swimming him in the tub.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Unfortunately I think he may be beyond my care and beyond help. His friend passed away a few days ago, and with the horrible care I do not think he will survive even with the excellent care I provide. It is sad, but I wikll actually be suprised if he lives through the weekend.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Unfortunately I think he may be beyond my care and beyond help. His friend passed away a few days ago, and with the horrible care I do not think he will survive even with the excellent care I provide. It is sad, but I wikll actually be suprised if he lives through the weekend.
That is very understandable, the best you can do is try your hardest and give him as much TLC as possible with his best interest in mind. If he does pass away you know it will not be from improper care from! That poor thing, why should he suffer because others people are stupid:mad::mad:

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
How is he doing? Have you tried giving him a warm water bath to hydrate him? Just a suggestion. I hope he is doing ok.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

How is he doing? Have you tried giving him a warm water bath to hydrate him? Just a suggestion. I hope he is doing ok.

Yes he was soaked yesterday and again today. He seems more active now with the correct lighting. He was also on Baytril injections which I called the vets office (they left the card) and asked why he was on them. It was because of his lack of appetite, not an illness. SO...he is not on baytril injections at this time.
He was eating today and he ate a little yesterday. Notthe garbage they gave me with actual maggots in it. REAL TORTOISE FOOD! Fresh dandelion greens and leaf lettuce. Calcium supplement and a cuddle bone. He has a wading /soaking area available also. And UVB and heat source. He is so much smaller that the sulcatas that have been here. Poor guy.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm sure he'll be tip-top in no time with your care. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
People suck. Most can barelly take care of themselves, if they even call it so, and then they try to take care of an animal:( I just dont understand animal abuse.. I dont...

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Yes he was soaked yesterday and again today. He seems more active now with the correct lighting. He was also on Baytril injections which I called the vets office (they left the card) and asked why he was on them. It was because of his lack of appetite, not an illness. SO...he is not on baytril injections at this time.
He was eating today and he ate a little yesterday. Notthe garbage they gave me with actual maggots in it. REAL TORTOISE FOOD! Fresh dandelion greens and leaf lettuce. Calcium supplement and a cuddle bone. He has a wading /soaking area available also. And UVB and heat source. He is so much smaller that the sulcatas that have been here. Poor guy.
:eek:They gave him baytril for a lack of appetite! That is horrible Baytril injections are an appetite supressant in reptiles! I hope they aren't a certified reptile vet because they should know better then that. I am glad he is more active now and eating too and it sounds like you have him on a great diet. Good job I hope he keeps on progressing:dance5:

Iluvemturts

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy
Not to mention Baytril is EXtremly painful when given. It burns when given.
Hope he makes it.

I was once called and asked to take in a russian tort and it turned out to be a 3 toed box turtle. The pet shop told the guy to blend up iceberg lettuce and give as a "soup" ......grr I was sooo mad!! No uvb for 5 years either...its amazing that she survived.
She is now doing great and has a new forever home.

Keep up the good work rescuing those torts:hug8:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
How very, very sad. :(:(:(

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
You're an angel - I hope he does well - bless your heart! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.