• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newest rescue...I am just appalled!

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

I am losing faith in people! I was called last night to take in a Russian Tortoise. Picked him up just a few minutes ago and he is sooo sick. They at least included his medication, they have never offered UVB light or an actual heat lamp. they gave me a LIGHT BULB FOR A LAMP!!!! I am just....Peed OFF! There were 2 of them they said, the other JUST DIED! I am sick about this, these poor animals suffering due to owner neglect! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I wish all animal owners were like us here.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:( Poor thing. I hope it's able to get better with your care.:hug8:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
(((hugs))) Crystal.

*** warning thread drift ****

I so know what you mean. In my own case, I have a 21 yr old SD that lives with us. She is genius level intelligent, was at one of the best colleges in the country until she had a mental break. She is now home. I keep rescuing animals that she brings in and hides from me in her room. Most recent was a hamster that she had living in the dark on the floor of her closet for 3 weeks.

Turns out, she had gotten it last year in college, gave it to someone else, then they gave it back to her last month. When I found it living in a closed closet I freaked out!!!

I am trying to rehome it but I asked her, Why does he not even have a wheel or anything? He response? "I can't afford it" (She works 30 hours a week at 8.50/hour). I made her go buy one yesterday and that little hamster ran and ran for hours. Poor baby.

She has an african frog who's tank is covered in a film of hairspray and scum. I woke her up out of bed this morning and told her that it better be clean before I get home.

*sigh* Why why why do people not care? And how did this person living in MY house turn out this way??

ThatDarnBird

Unfortunately, reptile care is even more complex than bird care and people just don't understand that when they buy the animal. :( At least they took him to the vet. I hope the new guy does well for you.:hug8:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
(((hugs))) Crystal.

*** warning thread drift ****

I so know what you mean. In my own case, I have a 21 yr old SD that lives with us. She is genius level intelligent, was at one of the best colleges in the country until she had a mental break. She is now home. I keep rescuing animals that she brings in and hides from me in her room. Most recent was a hamster that she had living in the dark on the floor of her closet for 3 weeks.

Turns out, she had gotten it last year in college, gave it to someone else, then they gave it back to her last month. When I found it living in a closed closet I freaked out!!!

I am trying to rehome it but I asked her, Why does he not even have a wheel or anything? He response? "I can't afford it" (She works 30 hours a week at 8.50/hour). I made her go buy one yesterday and that little hamster ran and ran for hours. Poor baby.

She has an african frog who's tank is covered in a film of hairspray and scum. I woke her up out of bed this morning and told her that it better be clean before I get home.

*sigh* Why why why do people not care? And how did this person living in MY house turn out this way??

:omg::hug8: Im so sorry. I dont how I would handle that :(

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I hope he gets well soon now that he'll get the proper things he needs

but to be honest I don't think it is always the people neglecting them on purpose - I know some with the best of intentions, and huge hearts and want the best for the animal...... But not a lick of education on the animal some are older and not even sure where to get the needed education at. but they think they're doing the right thing and try very hard.

and then there are others who know exactly how to properly take care of the animal and are just to dang lazy and some cases ignorant to do it right.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Rescue can be emotionally exhausting because there are those that mistreat their animals out of ignorance, out of laziness, and the few who seem to just not care. It's heartbreaking. You are making a difference to that animal though, which is what keeps me going. Sometimes I do have to remind myself that not everyone is scum though. Becoming bitter and jaded helps no one, and it's all to easy to get that way.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am losing faith in people! I was called last night to take in a Russian Tortoise. Picked him up just a few minutes ago and he is sooo sick. They at least included his medication, they have never offered UVB light or an actual heat lamp. they gave me a LIGHT BULB FOR A LAMP!!!! I am just....Peed OFF! There were 2 of them they said, the other JUST DIED! I am sick about this, these poor animals suffering due to owner neglect! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I know, I'm sorry. I'm glad he is with you now...:hug8:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

It gets so exhausting with people explaining proper care of tortoises. Even after 7 years of them owning him they still called him "THE TURTLE". I of course corrected them. Its a Russian Tortoise.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I hope he gets well soon now that he'll get the proper things he needs

but to be honest I don't think it is always the people neglecting them on purpose - I know some with the best of intentions, and huge hearts and want the best for the animal...... But not a lick of education on the animal some are older and not even sure where to get the needed education at. but they think they're doing the right thing and try very hard.

and then there are others who know exactly how to properly take care of the animal and are just to dang lazy and some cases ignorant to do it right.
I agree there are alot of people who just don't know what they are doing is wrong and they really do try their hardest. I see alot of this working at a petstore we have countless people coming in to surrender animals for vrious reasons. One example of no knowledge is the lady I got my iguana from she had him and another one in a 10 gallon fish tank with a fish hood with a 25 watt incadescent lightbulb. The one died before I ever got a chance to help it and Ed (the one I rescued) had MBD and was very malnourished. She had been feeding him icerberg lettuce thinking it was good but just didn't know. she ended up taking him to the vet and the vet put them on Calcium but said it wasnt neccesary to give them UV lighting:mad::eek: I was not happy when I heard this... So it is not always the owners intentional fault.

I hope this russian gets better they are a great tortise and packed with personality I miss mine everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.