• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newest arrivals

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I noticed both of my Turquoise GCC's were out of the nest box when I was feeding them yesterday afternoon. I cracked the box just enough to get the tip of my phone in and this is what I saw. First chicks of the year.

Attachments

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Aw, don’t you just love babies? :heart:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Awww how sweet :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm hoping there is another in there waiting for me this morning. I'll know when I feed them later today. I have several more sitting on eggs and one pair trying to figure it out. There could be a whole lot more waiting for me when I get back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was hoping for more, but there were only 2 chicks out of 6 eggs. This was their first breeding, so I'm not surprised. Both chicks are out of the box, being hand fed, and growing fast.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Question - I've hand raised plenty of chicks before, but this is an odd one. My two little turquoise GCC's are doing well. Growing every day and eating very well. One of them makes no noise at all. The smaller one starts to chirp when it's hungry and during feeding. The other one makes no noise at all. Not when hungry, and not during feeding. I've never seen this before. Is that normal ?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Not normal. I assume there are no visual signs? Do you normally treat your parent birds for parasites, illness and so on before you breed them?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not normal. I assume there are no visual signs? Do you normally treat your parent birds for parasites, illness and so on before you breed them?
They were all treated last year after we brought them home. They have not been exposed to other birds since then. The parents get the best diet I can give them. Chopped veggies, apples, breeder formula pellets from Mazuri. Fresh water every day. More if they dirty it. They have a mineral block as well. Both chicks are growing just fine, and it didn't take much to get either of them to eat from a syringe for the first time. Both are mobile, well developed, and move around the brooder just fine. The larger one just doesn't make any noise. It's very strange.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I spoke too soon. I separated the chicks on the chance that one of them is ill, and after a few minutes alone, they both started chirping. The smaller bird is the louder one, which I guess is to be expected when trying to get attention. I've had chicks that were lazy eaters, laid back, or aggressive, but never one that was absolutely quiet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I guess I spoke too soon. I separated the chicks on the chance that one of them is ill, and after a few minutes alone, they both started chirping. The smaller bird is the louder one, which I guess is to be expected when trying to get attention. I've had chicks that were lazy eaters, laid back, or aggressive, but never one that was absolutely quiet.
Me either! You just never know.

Glad they’re doing well.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These two are growing fast. I'm not sure if the parents will lay again. The chicks are a month old now and the parents show no interest in breeding again. I have my hands full at the moment anyway. My pair of Pineapple GCC's were emptying their food dish twice a day, so I took a peek in the box and decided to take the three biggest chicks. It looked like they had 5 chicks. When I got three of them out, I discovered they had 7 chicks in there. One that looked like it had just hatched. I'm hand feeding 6 chicks at the moment. There are 6 chicks still with their parents, and between 3 other pairs, there are 14 eggs. I'm glad I work from home.

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! That’s a full time job. We work from home too, but when hand feeding I get exhausted.

Total cuteness. My favorite is the turquoise.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These little guys turned out better than I expected. They are almost fully feathered, and the color is beautiful. Still getting hand fed, but starting to eat on their own as well. One of them is still really quiet, even when being fed. I'm not sure if the parents will lay another clutch or not.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
They are gorgeous!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Aww babies are sooo cute with their big ol’ eyeballs :laugh:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unrelated to the turquoise, but these guys hatched about a week later. One sun cheek, and most of the pineapple chicks. I put them on my shoulder before I feed them. Otherwise it is pandemonium trying to keep them all together.

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cute babies, love how they line up on your shoulder