• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie!

Michellerm123

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all I have possibly become the new owner of a ringneck. I say possibly as we found her outside in distress, this was a week ago and sadly no owners have come forward as yet.
I don't know if she's tame because she will take food from my hand but if I put my fingers near her without any food then she lunges and snaps at me.
I don't know anything about birds and I have been reading as much as I can and watching YouTube for information. I know now what food to feed and what to avoid. And that she needs stimulation. She has ropes and toys in the cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I don't have a ringneck so hope that someone who has experience with them can give you advice.
Post a photo of her when you get a chance and if she is comfortable with you doing that.
Thank you for taking her in and caring for her.
BTW, did you post found notices on lost and found websites such as Lost and Found Parrots / Birds - Parrot / Bird Reporting and Alerting Register
Did you contact local vets?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thank you for helping this little soul.

Not knowing anything about her background, it's good to start from the start. Be patient with her, talk quietly with her, move slowly around her, and keep a calm space around her.
She takes food from your hand...that's a good thing! You're aiming to build the "trust bank" with her. It's good to have toys, etc in the cage, just make sure they don't overwhelm her.

It's slow and steady on...

Are you planning on keeping her if the owners can't be located? If so, please set her up with an appointment with an AV...:)

Lizardking

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Duane
Hi and welcome ! Take small steps , eating out of your hand is a plus ! They are wonderful birds and well worth the time it takes , I have alway's enjoyed working with Quinn !

100_6047.jpg