1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie with some questions

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by FD3S, 6/18/17.

1. FD3S

FD3S Checking out the neighborhood

Hello, I am new to the macaw and the bird world in general. I come a background w/ reptiles with a focus in Panther chameleons but after some thought, I wanted to get into the world of macaws.

From my research i've found w the large macaws there are the 7 species and have been trying to read up on the differences and similarities between them. Though I did have some questions about them. Ill break it down by species.

Blue & Gold: These seem to be the most common of the large macaws, is there a reason behind it? Was it their coloration that brought them to popularity? Availability or maybe their personalities by comparison?

Green wing: These also seem to be up their in terms of popularity my same questions for the B/G would apply to these as well.

Scarlet: From my research it seems like these can be more aggressive then some of their cousins. I would imagine it is on a bird to bird case but often times I see the words like beaky and nippy used to describe them. Because of this would it be wise to steer clear of them as a potential first?

Hyacinth: My biggest question is why their price point is so high? I understand theyre the largest, is that the reason behind it? In the panther chameleon world the more expensive "locales" (there are no sub-species) was strictly due to there just not being as many breeders, is that the case here?

Blue throat and Buffon's/Great Green: These guys seem to be the most rare but often their price doesnt reflect that. Why are these guys not so often found especially the great greens I couldnt find much info on them specifically or any breeders that had postings for them.

Military: I don't have many questions on these guys specifically as they sort of seem like theyre on the middle of the road in terms of popularity. But any additional information or unique traits for them or any of the above I would love to know.

I know this ran sort of long but I am very curious to learn more about these guys individually, so that when I am ready to make a decision and a purchase I will be fully prepared.

2. Marti36

Marti36 Meeting neighbors

Mike Martino
    I have a scarlet and I can say that she is definitely more delicate and sensitive than other macaws. She plays "rough" with me pretty rarely (maybe once every couple of days) and generally likes to cuddle more and just sit on my shoulder and beg for food while I try to cook it. She can be beaky at times but from my understanding all macaws can. Personally I think scarlets get a bad rep but from my experience at least it isn't really justified.

Hankmacaw and aooratrix like this.
  3. Sarah13

Sarah13 Rollerblading along the road

Sarah
    Hi and welcome! It is definitely bird by bird and how you live and work with them but these are things that are often observed with each species...I can comment on the 2 I own.

B&Gs are gorgeous, tend to have a rasonable price, are not as large, tend to be very forgiving, and are active and easily read in terms of body language. I feel that these traits make this macaw popular and very appealing.

G&W are also gorgeous but with a very different color scheme, tend to be a bit more expensive but still reasonable, they can get quite large/larger than some hyacinths on ocassion, and tend to be one of the more mellow and tactile of the large macaws. These qualities make them similar to the B&G but with enough differences to attract different owners and life styles.

These describe my 2 birds pretty well...they were adopted and I'm their 3rd and 4th homes respectively. I got to GW first and the B&G joined the flock about 2 years later.
    ~B&G is very hyper, loud, silly/wants to get into and explore everything, loves to wrestle and play with you, clear with how she is feeling, and is forgiving if you make a mistake with interacting and is always wanting to check out the new person in the house. She's 4 years old and mid sized 870-900 grams.
    ~GW is my bump on a log. Very chill, very quiet, just wants to snuggle in your lap if you are there or if you are out, she likes to sit on her java tree and stare out the window when not in nesting mode. She is slower to bond with a new person but once she sees they are part of the flock or are not a threat (usually after a few visits and interacting) she is very gentle, affectionate, and trusting. She's 10 years old and large 1280-1300 grams.

I cannot really comment on the rest of these birds as I do not own them and I feel that the brief interactions I have had with them over the years still isn't enough for me to make a valid observation of their true personalities. I do know that Hys tend to be quite expensive for a number of reasons though. Endangered/rare, large, their upkeep is pretty high, and most notably, they take a long time to safely wean. The mortality rate is extremely high with these guys to begin with as well.

Last edited: 6/18/17
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    :welave:

5. Sarah13

Sarah13 Rollerblading along the road

Sarah
    @Macawnutz had/has all even multiple of these and to fill in the missing, @aooratrix, @expressmailtome, as well as @Bartleby have blue throats. There's a recent thread with additional Hy owners tagged you can try too for the extra info about that species and additional things that contribute to their upfront and living expenses etc.

6. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Matthew
    I have a blue throat, 5; a capri (hybrid 7/8 scarlet, 1/8 B&G), 21 months-ish; a GW, 1; and a B&G, 17.

BTM, Harry: extremely mechanical. He'd prefer to dismantle toys, as that's his version of playing. When I change his papers, he opens his cage's landing pad and unscrews his water bottle, all before I've pulled his papers. He was very hands-on as a baby, not as much now, but loves to be with me. He's very smart, a closet talker, and knows several behaviors. He is a skilled flier, too.

Capri, Daphne: my best talker, very beaky but not a biter. She is sweet and my noisiest (frequency of vocalization). She loves my attention and is still pretty hands-on. She is also a toy destroyer. She is sensitive but not as much as Harry.

GW, Annie: overall, she's my sweetest but most stubborn bird. She constantly tests me and is possessive of me. If she decides I've given another bird enough attention, she flies to me immediately. Annie has never been clipped, and it shows. She's also my only bird that seeks out conflict with the other birds. She's my pot-stirrer. She has a powerful beak, loves to destroy toys, and is as smart as Harry, if not more so. She enjoys a lot of hands-on but does not fit the "perch potato" generalizations I've read about them. Maybe she'll mellow with age? Please? A little would be great: she's a handful.

B&G, Petey: he is steady, calm, and very forgiving. If he's upset about something, I walk away. Minutes later, he's fine. That's a lot faster than my other macaws. He is a rehome, so he's grateful to be enjoying the goodness life: plenty of food, paper to shred, and all the petting I'll give him. If I'd let him, he'd sit on my chair with me for hours (he has!), getting scritches. I joke that he's my blue and gold cockatoo.

I can only speak to my birds and birds I've known: all birds are individuals.

Hyacinths command a high price because they typically only raise one baby at a time, if an aviculturist can encourage them to go to nest at all. Also, many raise the babies from day 1, so they have a chick to sell. I've not heard of many breeders who actually let the hyacinths raise their own babies. To many macaw people, they are the dream bird because of their gentle, sweet reputation and stunning appearance.

In contrast, B&Gs are often free breeders, raising multiple clutches per year, if allowed. They are beautiful, but some overlook them as they are common. I used to, before Petey! He's beautiful and has a great personality that I'd recommend for most people's first large macaw.

As with all things, price is determined by availability and demand. ;)

7. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Matthew
    If you're serious, you need to meet and handle as many different macaws as you can. They are a lot of bird, and some aren't for the faint of heart. With a bigger bird, you have significantly higher costs for housing, food (they need nuts, daily), and enrichment. Depending on where you live, you might be able to visit some quality rescues and pet shops. That's another thing: as they mature, their personalities change. With an older bird, what you see is usually what you get. I love the 3 I got as babies, but in many ways, Petey is easier to live with and very happy with what he has. My others are "privileged," meaning spoiled rotten.

Shyra, Macawnutz and Hankmacaw like this.
  8. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Common is common because it is successful. I find a lot of people don't like green parrots or they prefer their mutations to the wild type. It irks me slightly.

The other reason that hys are expensive is high chick mortality. Many times even before they get out of the shell. They are notorious for needing assistance to hatch plus increased yeast infection potential until weaned. Blue and golds breed easier and more successfully. They are still awesome though. I'd like to say I'd get one some day but for whatever reason, green wings like me better and I'm not sure I want another super sized weld breaking macaw.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  9. Shyra

Shyra Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Something to keep in mind while you are researching macaws (or any bird) is that their age will have so much to do with their behavior. My GW was 18 months old when I got him. Not a snuggler by any means but still very sweet and very quiet. I would read threads where people said male GW's would go through aggressive stages once mature. I couldn't believe my boy would ever do that yet sure enough it happened. The last 6 months since he's turned 13 he's had a complete personality change. He's now very loud. We've also had some challenging and scary times with his aggressiveness. I'm sure it's just a stage and we will get through it with lots more bandaids. My point is that if you talk to people who have baby birds they will tell you they are the sweetest snugglers, then as they age they will go through stubborn stages, nippy stages, there's the teenage years where they are like Jeckle and Hyde and on up the age scale. Each stage will have it's own challenges as well as plenty of rewards. The biggest question with the larger birds is can you handle having that large beak taking a chunk out of you or piercing through you. Macaws use their beak for everything. A lot of trust has to go into the relationship and if you are fearful of that beak it will effect things between you. Mine won't step up without testing my hand/arm with his beak. There are days when that becomes more of a game to him than anything else. Last week Gandalf put a hole through my hand just below my thumb that is still very painful and I probably have some permanent nerve damage from it. Overall though it's not a bad bite when you consider he could have taken a finger off or crushed the bones in my hand with that powerful beak. I think most macaw owners have a list of painful bites they've received at one time or another. If you can't take it in stride and move on, then macaws are probably not the bird for you.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  10. GabeCast

GabeCast Strolling the yard

Gabe
    @Shyra Hang in there! You'll get through that stage eventually.

Shyra likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)