• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie with Questions about Molting

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
There are no stupid questions here, right?

Anyway, my 7 month old is changing. So far, almost all of the pretty little red head feathers have disappeared. I have noticed she is scratching more and can be a bit moody. Today at lunch time, I took a gander of some internet pics of pin feathers and then went on to take a close look at Moira's head area and I definitely saw 3-4 of them. I will try to get a pic of her later because she certainly has a few white quill-like things on her face and head I'd like to show you all.

Now, is 7 months old an average age for a first molt?

Now here is the dumb question: do ALL the feathers get replaced? So far, I haven't really seen many larger feathers drop, but her head certainly seems bluer! Will all the brightly colored feathers from her tail fall soon? How long does a molt generally take? Is scratching a common reaction to molting?

Anything else I need to know about molting?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Now, is 7 months old an average age for a first molt?
Yes! Later this year she will also molt her wing and tail feathers. But first she molt the small feathers. And she will molt for months, it's normal.
Now here is the dumb question: do ALL the feathers get replaced?
No. But the first molt is BIG. And they will replace a lot of feathers. She will molt all her feathers in two years.
Anything else I need to know about molting?
She will need healthy food now. A lot of protein and vitamins.
And the most important thing!! Save all her feathers! :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John