• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie with a Squeak!

deebee59

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Denise Bell
Hi...I recently took on a Peach Faced Lovie from an owner with children. Squeak is very placid, but very stand offish with hands. In her previous home she was kept in a cage on a stand, where the children could push things in through the bars, and the family cat used to hang off the cage.. She did originally have a partner, but I was told that she was responsible for his demise, why I do not know. Is it possible to partner them again?
She also started laying eggs this week, laying 3 since Sunday. I was advised to remove them, and have done and she seems undisturbed by it all...
Can any one advise me on how often this may happen... And is there anything I help her through it with out distress.
Would appreciate any feed back offered... Thanks

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome...she is very cute..don't know who advised you to remove the eggs but that is THE WRONG THING TO DO..she will only lay to replace..you need to let her have her little clutch..put a piece of paper towel at the bottom of the grate , and she may pay attention to the egg, or not..if you are not sure if they are fertile and you dont want babies, boil the egg and put it back after it has cooled..you can also buy false eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com incase of breakage etc..all eggs must be same size and hard or she is lacking in calcium..in fact, provide her with calci rich foods like broccoli and kale and also a cuttlebone should be available at all times. if she is a first timer she may appear to not c are about the eggs, but believe me, she knows they are there. she will abandon after about 25-35 days..when she appears to abandon or she is not looking after them at all..only then remove them after that time frame..shake up her world then..move her toys around, her perches..12 to 14 hours night to prevent any further episodes..she has been with you for such a short time..I am sure she will get used to her new home in time.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
:hello: and :welave: First, give her time to adjust. As far as eggs are concerned, hopefully she won't miss them and forget about them. If she continues to lay them, you might wast to consider purchasing "fake" ones so she won't keep laying them. Good luck!

deebee59

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Denise Bell
Am so pleased you said to leave the eggs, I felt so bad taking them away. She is very aware of the last 2 she laid, and she is only coming out of her little box to eat and drink. The eggs are good and hard... I will follow the advice given here. We do respect her space too... We say hello when she appears on her food pot, and I say good night to her as I cover her for bed, but we don't hassle her at all..
She's a proper little broodie hen. bless her.

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Welcome...I'm new here too. Its so great that you have her now...lots of experienced and kind bird owners here....

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road