1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie here, please help with mutations

Discussion in 'Budgie Boulevard' started by Pania, 2/9/19.

1. Pania

Pania Moving in

C57E2F11-CABB-41D7-BD66-161B43983A19.jpeg 4CA5B37E-32FD-4F76-A0F5-C6C9822F6061.jpeg D5F08B83-E267-49C1-96DF-4064D4189DB7.jpeg 6DD1051D-33E3-4995-A989-F324BAD56AE0.jpeg BAD6BA90-A457-4E8B-B03A-866697AF22E4.jpeg 5229108F-24E1-41A5-A2E9-47304D0D6068.jpeg 7C288C8E-F6A4-4EC3-A658-3742F9A15066.jpeg Hi all,

I’m new to the Budgie world, but already addicted! I currently have 7 budgies, 6 babies and one adult hen. I’ve spent about 2 solid weeks researching genetics and mutations but I seem to be getting more and more confused...
    Could someone much more knowledgeable than me please have a go at identifying these guys?
    I think it will be easier to learn to spot the different colours and mutations once I’ve got my own 7 down pat.
    I’m embarrassed to have a go at guessing here because I think I’ve failed miserably but here goes..

-Adult hen- Cobalt (maybe SF violet? She has violet colouring around her neck and shoulders)
    -Cobalt DF violet
    -Sky blue opaline with maybe SF violet (also has violet around shoulder area and a general violet-y sheen when in good lighting)
    -Mauve spangle (??)
    - Olive green SF violet Clearflight (she has very bright/ deep violet cheek patches and dark blue tail feathers just coming through)
    -Green spangle (this one also has blue or violet tones around feet and vent)
    - Yellowface cinnamon ....and that’s as far as I get with this little guy. Tail feathers still coming through but look to be yellow and black.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Jazzy*, Ripshod and Just-passn-thru like this.
  2. Zara

Zara Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

Zara
    Wow your birds are stunning!!!
    New to the Budgie world, yet have 7? Very brave.

Sorry, I don´t know the mutations, I´m a lovebird girl :)

I´m sure another user will know!

Welcome to the forum :D

@PoukieBear
    @Budgiebonkers
    @Ripshod

Last edited: 2/9/19
    Just-passn-thru, Pania and Lady Jane like this.
  3. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    I don't now anything about budgie mutations, but here's a Mutation Calculator this may giv you a good starting point for research and reference...
    Genetic Calculator 1.3 Budgerigars

4. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Welcome to AA. Your budgies are so very cute. I am ashamed to know so much about budgies but not mutations. Never took the time to study them. What are the green leaves in the cage?

Ripshod and Just-passn-thru like this.
  5. Pania

Pania Moving in

Thanks Zara :) Well, I did have a few budgies growing up as a kid so I guess when I say “new to budgies”, I mean that I’m new to taking this hobby more seriously, researching and joining clubs and forums like this one. There’s so much to learn! Yes, I have jumped straight into the deep end a bit with 7 budgies, but I love watching the different personalities emerge and “group dynamics” that you just don’t see as well with only, say, 2 budgies. Originally there were just 6 but Helen, my adult hen, was a bit of an emergency rescue and I just couldn’t say no :)
    Thanks for the info too, just-passn-thru. I shall check it out!

Just-passn-thru likes this.
  6. Pania

Pania Moving in

Lady Jayne, they are eucalyptus and paperbark branches from my backyard. I live in Australia so am lucky to have these native trees everywhere. The budgies absolutely love them, especially the eucalyptus and from what I’ve read they have certain medicinal properties that are beneficial to their health, being a part of a their natural diet in the wild.

7. Just-passn-thru

Suzanne
    Your vision is very well planned out...with you're enthusiasm and attention to detail, I'm confident your Avian Husbandry, will give you in return much success.

Oh! one more thing , your budgies set-up is beautifully designed, and your flock is absolutely lovely, all seem to be in good feather and happy.
    :marlenesmile:
    So many members here have beautiful flocks of budgies, i'm sure they will be happy to guide you on many topics.

Last edited: 2/9/19
    Ripshod and Pania like this.
  8. Just-passn-thru

Suzanne
    Beautiful!

Ripshod and Pania like this.
  9. Pania

Pania Moving in

Thank you so much for your kind words. I still have a lot of learning to do but your comments fill me with confidence that I can fulfil my passion.
    Yes, all my feathered friends seem very happy in their new home and I love trekking out each morning for fresh branches and leaves for their day. After only 2 weeks they are already making a beeline for my hand as soon as they spy that eucalyptus! I must say, I’m not getting much else done though as I can’t seem to tear myself away from watching their antics all day! Such happy little creatures, who can resist?

10. Just-passn-thru

Suzanne

Your doing well to understand the the basic needs of your chosen species. These simple requirements, in return, will reward you with abundance, and a thriving flock community . The journey of learning is never ending, enjoy the process .
    :)

Lady Jane, Ripshod and Pania like this.
  11. Budgiebonkers

Budgiebonkers aka Pandapaws23 Avenue Veteran

Your second pic looks to be a yellowface type two as the body colors changing the one next to that one is a normal sky blue
    Third pic is a sky blue normal in back and a spangled opaline in the front
    4th pic looks to be a cobalt opaline cant see if it has a yellow face or not
    5th pic is spangled opaline and normal on top opaline and yellowface type 2 normal on bottom
    6th pic clearflight pied on left spangled opaline on right
    Next pic is a clearflight pied
    last pic is a violet normal possibly yellowface
    The ones you think might be cinnamon look to be greywings

12. Ripshod

Ripshod Sprinting down the street

Linden
    4th pic opaline is yellowface type I
    Last pic no yellowface
    The cinnamo/gray confusion is down to lighting. I believe gray.
    Other than these point we agree.

Thanks for the alert @Zara, @Budgiebonkers beat me lol

Lady Jane and Zara like this.
  13. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne

I ordered some by leaves by mail one time but my birds totally ignored them and showed a little fear because the leaves were so different. It may have been a different reaction if they had been fresh and not dried.

14. Pania

Pania Moving in

Thanks so much @Budgiebonkers @Ripshod
    That’s cleared up lots of the confusion for me :)
    You’re right about the bad lighting, because as I study the little cinnamon boy now he definitely does seem to have a browner shade rather than grey.

4A350263-67DD-4F54-8061-E3923860D5A4.jpeg 1E6EEB86-DA5C-400E-9082-A206DF92CE61.jpeg

Novice eyes though so I could be wrong.

The green spangled opaline also has blue through the front feathers and around vent...what does this mean? Maybe SF violet or something else? I know the lighting is bad but hopefully you can still see it in these pics:

D6B70C72-605F-46C2-8014-E722A3754DD4.jpeg
    582790A2-39ED-4E84-BB69-0C65FB1D23AD.jpeg

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help me identify these guys. Very happy I joined this forum :-D

Zara likes this.
  15. Budgiebonkers

Budgiebonkers aka Pandapaws23 Avenue Veteran

Thats one mutation I dont deal with is cin so I don't know as for the spangled opaline might be a violet factor or could of been a yellowface type two blue that turned green

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)