• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie about Glosters

The Maltese

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Stefan
Would really appreciate some advice.

So ... have bought a lovely pair of Gloster Canaries. They seem to be eating and drinking most of their time and spend their time (if not all) hopping around at the bottom of the cage with no interest in perches. They share their cage with zebs. They are not puffed up, and generally they seem to be in good health.

My son says that they cannot see the perches high above in the cage because of their fringe :laugh:. My guess is that they are simply too lazy to fly around!!!! Could they have been kept in small cages for too long and not fit for flying somehow?

When instigated to fly (I blow on them) they will fly around for a couple of seconds and then back to the cage floor. They are currently housed with zebras and there is no fighting going on.

Is this typical behavior for Gloster Canaries to stay on the bottom of the cage? and eat most of the time?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have any canary experience. So I'm afraid I can't offer advice, but wanted to say welcome to the forum!