• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbe questions

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cutie. Yes you can feed the long white pumpkin thing. In the USA it is called a butternut squash.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Anyone ideas on how I can make Freddie shower or take a bath?
-Doesnt like the shower (screems like crazy), doesnt want to take a bath in a glass bowl, doenst like it when I sprinkle water on him in the sink...-

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Maybe try filling the sink up a little and 'washing' your hands in it while Freddie is in a place that he can get to the water if he wants? That always gets my conure into bath mode :)

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Anyone ideas on how I can make Freddie shower or take a bath?
-
1) There is no way to 'MAKE' a caique do anything. there is only bribery.

2) Encouraging a caique to enjoy water is as hard as encouraging me to enjoy alcohol, LOL

leave him cold clean water in a shallow saucer or a plastic serving tray. let the bird see you dipping in your fingers and splashing gently

Here is one of mine racing through a very shallow tray of water. They see that blue tray coming and wild euphoria breaks out

If they can see shallow water, and a warm bright place to dry off, the party begins

birdie bathtime.jpg

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a cute little rascal.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
First of all, he's adorable!
Playing--this takes some time, and encouragement! You have to help them learn to play with toys. I get on the floor with a basket of foot toys and play with my birds--chase them with the toy, dangle it over them. It won't take long until he is chasing the toy back, flipping over on his back so you can play with him and actually bringing toys to you so that you can play with him. Caiques are very interactive, and don't just want to necessarily play alone. That's one reason I like having two--they definitely prefer playing with each other, or with me!
Purring--everything @rockybird said.
Hopping--mine really didn't start hopping until about 8-10 months old. It takes some coordination! Again, showing them the behavior will encourage it. Pick up a toy and hop it across the table, or the floor. If you and your caique have a high level of trust, gently pick him up and hop him across the floor. The more you can physically interact with your caique the better.
Mimicing--Start with a simple two-tone whistle. This is easiest when you use it as an alternative to their contact call. If you are outside the room, and your bird calls to you "scree..scree..scree..", Whistle back. When he copies your whistle, enter the room and say "GOOD BIRD!" Repitition and consistency is the key. Only work on one sound at a time, until they start practicing it themselves. I started saying "Whatch doin" everytime I entered the room and engaging them. Now, when I leave they ask "whatcha doing". Also when they're looking for me. Mimic the pitch and cadence of a sound they make naturally. Caiques will never be excellent talkers like an Amazon, but YOU will understand what they're saying, and they will use it in the correct context!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
The holding the fork picture is just too cute for words.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
How long is too long for a caique beak? I see a lot of "long" beaks in the roll call thread. If that is the normal size then i have nothing to worry about yet

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Cute pictures.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Is it OK that the pellets go in to the waterbowl before they are getting eaten?

EbonyMemory

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ebony
Yes, a majority of my birds enjoy doing that, just give him some clean water after he finishes eating. :D