• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbe questions

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Hi all,

I just brought home a 4 month old caique -now named Freddie- and I have some questions. I am so worried that I might do something wrong with this cutie, eventhough I have read all I can.

1: Freddie plays a lot when he/she is in the cage, but when let out usually comes cuddling/sleeping with me. Is that normal? I read everywhere that its an extremely active bird, so it made me worried he/she might either be not healthy (or maybe the younger birds need more sleep?)
2: sometimes I hear him/her making a purr noise. Is that a good thing? Almost sounds like a cat purring but a quick 3 times :D
3: I havent seen Freddie hop like other caiques... Is that something all of them do? Do only happy caiques hop?
4: when does a caique start copying sounds? Like whistling and maybe even talking?
thanks all :hug8:

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Hi all,

I just brought home a 4 month old caique -now named Freddie- and I have some questions. I am so worried that I might do something wrong with this cutie, eventhough I have read all I can.

1: Freddie plays a lot when he/she is in the cage, but when let out usually comes cuddling/sleeping with me. Is that normal? I read everywhere that its an extremely active bird, so it made me worried he/she might either be not healthy (or maybe the younger birds need more sleep?)
2: sometimes I hear him/her making a purr noise. Is that a good thing? Almost sounds like a cat purring but a quick 3 times :D
3: I havent seen Freddie hop like other caiques... Is that something all of them do? Do only happy caiques hop?
4: when does a caique start copying sounds? Like whistling and maybe even talking?
thanks all :hug8:
1: Hard to say...since its individual...is ur Caique handfed?
But i dont think its something wrong with him..
My Jack is feed by his parents so i am still working on taming...so who knows maybe he gets more cuddly then..
2: Jack does a sound that is simular to a Cats sound when it spinns...and he does that when he gets something he likes very much.
3: i assume that not all do it...Jack does it sometimes but it aint often.
4: Caiques aint good talkers...i actually never heard a Caique talk...but they learn to copy other sounds...sometimes i think its Toby (my Meyers parrot) that screams to find out that its Jack that copied Tobys sound..

Mico&Limon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Congrats on your new baby bird:)
1. I suppose he needs to get used to his new home and will be more curious and playful outside the cage soon enough.
2. Definitely a happy sound:pinkgrin:
3. Mine are 2,5 years and I still haven't seen them hop...
4. For mine it takes a while to copy a new sound. Some months even. I'm sure it's individual though. Be patient.
Good luck;)

Sj25

Strolling the yard
1: Hard to say...since its individual...is ur Caique handfed?
But i dont think its something wrong with him..
My Jack is feed by his parents so i am still working on taming...so who knows maybe he gets more cuddly then..
2: Jack does a sound that is simular to a Cats sound when it spinns...and he does that when he gets something he likes very much.
3: i assume that not all do it...Jack does it sometimes but it aint often.
4: Caiques aint good talkers...i actually never heard a Caique talk...but they learn to copy other sounds...sometimes i think its Toby (my Meyers parrot) that screams to find out that its Jack that copied Tobys sound..
Yes handfed. Not by me though.
Is it also common that they can climb and fly ok when they are young, but when they walk on the floor they have to look for balance a bit?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
1. All my gang are hugely active, but take an afternoon nap when they shut down to reboot.

3. Hopping is a very individual trait, and more common in babies.
However all my caiques re ham actors, gluttons for attention. Play with him, when he hops, make a HUGE fuss and give him ALL your attention.

Thats the best chance you have of him repeating it

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Freddie hopped once, but I am not sure if it was a mistake haha. I did act cheerfull.
No fan of the shower though...

When i weigh the bird its on the heavy side, but i can still feel the bone on his chest. Not sure if it is eating enough

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well weight is a many sided issue for birds, as it is for humans.

Firstly make loads of HEALTHY food available (not seed)

Second accept that the bird will waste LOADS of it. He's designed that way. He's supposed to live in the treetops and drop food down for other forest dwellers

Third. Fat is not good weight. he needs muscle, and that means lots of exercise

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
[QUOTE
Is it also common that they can climb and fly ok when they are young, but when they walk on the floor they have to look for balance a bit?[/QUOTE]

Yes. They dont walk on the forest floor. Easiest way to get eaten. Those huge comical feet are for climbing and gripping branches

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the info!
I didnt know seed wasnt all that good? I try to feed Freddie this food below. Not having much of it. Only when I make it in to a game where s/he has to destroy it.
What exactly is healthy food? I give fruit every day, different kinds.
Also (not sure how to translate it) egg food, one nut per day, and this stuff kiemzaad - Google zoeken
Not sure what else there is really

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Healthy food?
Parrots in the wild have a hugely varied diet. The best we can do is try to emulate it and avoid the obvious pitfalls.

So I feed a good quality pellet (lots of nutrients) and supplement with Fruit and Veg.
Seeds are a treat only. Its like raising human toddlers on a chocolate diet.

(UNLESS your bird is a canary or finch, which is genetically adapted to process seed only.)

Caiques are notorious for their sweet tooth. Dont pander to it too much. Ensure they get nutrients, not just a sugar high

Evidence from the wild suggests that parrots eat fruit before it has ripened to what would suit human taste. Also us humans have adapted the wild fruit to serve OUR sweet tooth

Last edited:

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Thank you for being so helpfull!
I feel like the Caique is pretty unknown in Holland

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Freddie isnt really a fan of pellet. How do I get him/her to eat it?
So websites have the advice: "make sure the bird is hungry" but that doesnt feel right to starve it ;)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
No I would never starve a bird. If they dont like a particular brand of pellets, try another one. Remember that sweet tooth.
Dont give up, and feed LOADS of variety.

Mine are having some scrambled egg on toast today

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
- He's still a young baby. He may want the closeness of being held and security of being cuddled. My boy is 15 years old and loves to be held and snuggled. We snuggled a lot when he was young, and he continues to crave being cuddled, which I enjoy! He also does not play as much outside the cage as he is too focused on interacting with me. Also, do not sleep with your bird. People have rolled over and killed their birds. I believe someone on this forum did that by accident with their caique.

- purring can be happy sound like he just found something fun or a tasty treat. A high pitched purring might mean he saw something in the sky (like a possible hawk)

- My boy hops a lot, but I know someone else whose caique does not hop. Give your little guy some time to feel comfortable and grow up a little. He may hop later. I can encourage my bird to hop by making hopping motions with my hand.

- caiques aren't great mimkers in general. My bird will rarely copy the microwave, but that is about it. He does not speak. I dont think that talking is common in caiques.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Thanks all :)
Freddie is already more playfull outside the cage. Finger wrestling being its fav
Also learning to whistle! Much quicker than a cockatiel, wow!
Still not much hopping...

Doing my best with the pellets. doing 50 50 now with the regular seed-food. I make it kind of mushy with wet pellets

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Can I feed little caique the right long, white-ish pumpkin?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have no experience with that particular pumpkin, but in general all veg is OK. Once it is totally washed to remove any pesticide or preservative residue.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Does anyone know when the bit of black goes away?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew