• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newb questions

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
Sorry for posting again so quickly but I might as well ask these questions.

She was almost never in her cage at her original owners house...mainly on her stand. However, I put her back in her cage when she attacked me after asking to be lifted up (sneaky lol). Should I leave her in her cage to get used to it being her new cage or should I allow her out and hope she doesn't demolish me? HAHA! I want to start off right I knew she would be upset leaving her family but I'm not sure how I should be going about this. From what I read so many say to leave the cage opened but she has it out for me already, displaying, trying to grab me etc lol! I also do not want to teach her that if she bites me she gets left alone....she's only been here since noon....and bit me around 1:30 so I put her away like the original owner suggested....but now I'm not sure if I should be leaving her in for the rest of the evening and start fresh tomorrow or what. I don't want to give her a negative outlook on me. I keep going over and talking to her, offering her treats, she's definitely letting me know she hates my guts at least atm. Thanks for any tips!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You definitely need to let her get used to her new surroundings and flock before you have her out. It may be several days, it may be several weeks. When you walk by her cage, drop a favorite treat in a cup for her. Sit in the room and give her ambient attention...talk or read to her softly, whistle to her, and most of all let her know that you are not a scary monster trying to kill her, because that's what she thinks right now. Lots of time and patience are going to be required, but I can assure you that you will be rewarded with a lifetime of love. Just slow down!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
You definitely need to let her get used to her new surroundings and flock before you have her out. It may be several days, it may be several weeks. When you walk by her cage, drop a favorite treat in a cup for her. Sit in the room and give her ambient attention...talk or read to her softly, whistle to her, and most of all let her know that you are not a scary monster trying to kill her, because that's what she thinks right now. Lots of time and patience are going to be required, but I can assure you that you will be rewarded with a lifetime of love. Just slow down!

THANK You so much Tim!!!!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You will want to take it at her pace.

Figure out how close she will let you be and what she will let you do without upsetting her. Can you approach her cage? How close? Will she let you drop a treat in a bowl? Or take one from her hand?

Make a list of what she seems to like. Do more of that. Note what she does not like, do none of that. This will help her trust you and will create the foundation for a trusting relationship between the two of you.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
You will want to take it at her pace.

Figure out how close she will let you be and what she will let you do without upsetting her. Can you approach her cage? How close? Will she let you drop a treat in a bowl? Or take one from her hand?

Make a list of what she seems to like. Do more of that. Note what she does not like, do none of that. This will help her trust you and will create the foundation for a trusting relationship between the two of you.
Honestly even being across the room if she catches me staring at her she starts posturing like a vulture lol! At Id say 5 ft she spider mans on the bars waiting for me to come closer and 1ft away from the cage she's trying her hardest to show me how tough she is. I'm planning to spend tomorrow morning drinking my coffee on the floor near her cage not paying much attention to her at all (after I spoon her in some yummies like blue berries of course). I can tell already when i make headway with her I'm going to cry....its so important to me that i get this right. I'm so upset I already messed up by putting her into a situation where she bit me...not because i got hurt but because she felt the need to. Also to add to this....in october my husband and I are going to the mountains (cabin) I plan on bringing my bonded parakeet....I planned to bring Tidsy (the caique) too.....her original owner offered to watch her for free but I do believe I should bring her with me instead of let her revert back and hate me again (if i make any headway befre october that is lol)...what are your thoughts on that?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
So many thoughts, so little space, but lets start here
She asked to be lifted, you did and put her in her cage and she bit you

She's immobile on her stand because someone clipped her - an act of butchery
Now she has to beg to be moved
The human has to guess where ( Its where shes pointing)
You got bit because you guessed wrong and shes frustrated

If you want reasons why you're getting bitten start with frustration
Look at her 'posturing' and read it. shes pointing at what she wants

Give the bird its flight back ( PLEASE!) and she will come and worship at your feet

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Honestly even being across the room if she catches me staring at her she starts posturing like a vulture lol! At Id say 5 ft she spider mans on the bars waiting for me to come closer and 1ft away from the cage she's trying her hardest to show me how tough she is. I'm planning to spend tomorrow morning drinking my coffee on the floor near her cage not paying much attention to her at all (after I spoon her in some yummies like blue berries of course). I can tell already when i make headway with her I'm going to cry....its so important to me that i get this right. I'm so upset I already messed up by putting her into a situation where she bit me...not because i got hurt but because she felt the need to. Also to add to this....in october my husband and I are going to the mountains (cabin) I plan on bringing my bonded parakeet....I planned to bring Tidsy (the caique) too.....her original owner offered to watch her for free but I do believe I should bring her with me instead of let her revert back and hate me again (if i make any headway befre october that is lol)...what are your thoughts on that?
So traditional wisdom says to sit quietly near the bird and talk soothingly. This can be a good start with a bird who is not afraid however if she is afraid then it can make matters worse.

You mentioned that if you stare at her from across the room she begins posturing. What if you are just doing your own thing across the room? How does she act?

I would start with this free webinar. It will help you to see know where to start. If you like it you can make a donation. Barbara Heidenriech, is an expert and only employs positive methods which build trust. There is great advice in this video. All the other ones are excellent I am sure. I haven't seen the other webinars but I have all here DVD's. They will change the way you interact with your birds and your birds will benefit immeasurably.

Don't take it personally, it can take time.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
So traditional wisdom says to sit quietly near the bird and talk soothingly. This can be a good start with a bird who is not afraid however if she is afraid then it can make matters worse.

You mentioned that if you stare at her from across the room she begins posturing. What if you are just doing your own thing across the room? How does she act?

I would start with this free webinar. It will help you to see know where to start. If you like it you can make a donation. Barbara Heidenriech, is an expert and only employs positive methods which build trust. There is great advice in this video. All the other ones are excellent I am sure. I haven't seen the other webinars but I have all here DVD's. They will change the way you interact with your birds and your birds will benefit immeasurably.

Ahh def going to watch that now!!! thank you!!!!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki

Oh and also before I watch it just wanted to say that the methods that others had said i have employed today and shes doing so much better already! I can remove her food bowls (i have separate doors for the food bowls so I dont have to stick my hand inside the cage thankfully lol) without her flying at the bars in attack mode and trying her best to get me. Now she just kind of watches in a displeased manner as i do what i got to do then she goes down to it to inspect. I did get really sad after she bit me but I am really trying my best to keep human emotions out of this because i am aware shes been ripped from her home she was used to for 3 years and to here...where everything is different and I am not her daddy and mama! LOL! I really do see a difference already but any draw backs I promise the bird community and myself I will not take it personally. As my hubby said "well, ya got like 30 years to bond with her" haha! I am excited to watch that webinar! thank you again!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
So many thoughts, so little space, but lets start here
She asked to be lifted, you did and put her in her cage and she bit you

She's immobile on her stand because someone clipped her - an act of butchery
Now she has to beg to be moved
The human has to guess where ( Its where shes pointing)
You got bit because you guessed wrong and shes frustrated

If you want reasons why you're getting bitten start with frustration
Look at her 'posturing' and read it. shes pointing at what she wants

Give the bird its flight back ( PLEASE!) and she will come and worship at your feet

she is flighted lol sorry I did not mention that but yes shes got full flight but only flies when spooked which happened while she was here as her original dad took the top of my cages top tray out to assist in putting her sleepy bed in the top of the cage for me (very nice of him I might add). I also want to point out too, while he was here and petting her I observed the love he has for her however every time her beak came towards his hand he flinched .....its odd the things you observe but don't fully grasp in the moment esp over the excitement of a new bird. Also I was not putting her in the cage when she bit me....she did what her original owner told me was her asking to step up....so I offered my hand she proceeded to get on my hand and violated my hand with bites...she did NOT bite me anywhere near as hard as she could have I am aware of that...she was just showing me she's not happy. I put her in the cage after she bit me. I stayed calm the entire time...told her now in a disapproving yet not angry voice "noooo" and put my other fingers on her beak lightly (like her original owner told me to do as i said no and this is what caused her to stop biting me). I put her in her cage after this as this was what her original owner told me to do....I do have lots to learn but I was just doing to her what I was told and what her original owner did in these situations. They told me she bit the baby sitter once...but the way he flinched everytime her beak came towards his hand makes me wonder if shes also bitten him. I cannot say enough nice things about these people however i do believe they didnt tell me the whole story but they did send me a lot of vids of her playing with them, on her stand, and enjoying head pets so I am not going to blame them....and instead blame her new life that is upsetting her...at least thats what I can only assume.

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
I also want to update, that Tidsy apparently LOVES apples...and yesterday I picked her up Nutriberries "sunny orchard". Today she took food from me with no sign of aggression, just eagerly wanting to have whatever I am giving her. I love her more every day.....she's adorable. lol!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I didn't realize you had 2 threads. Tim gave you perfect advice. Do this.

And I would not necessarily do what the old owner told you. ;Read this forum, especially the caique owners' threads. Make up your own mind how to handle the bird. The previous owner is in the past. This is anew chapter for her. :)

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki

And I would not necessarily do what the old owner told you. ;Read this forum, especially the caique owners' threads. Make up your own mind how to handle the bird. The previous owner is in the past. This is anew chapter for her. :)
that is exactly what I have been doing and now today I am all confused about the new advice to let her out lol but she seems okay out...I just let her out for a second time (as she put herself away....im actually using it as a training thing....if she goes in im closing the door...waiting a little bit and then letting her back out again so she knows she will be let out and rewarded). Old owner told me its normal to be bitten and I can't avoid it only correct it (that upset me as I don't believe that is true at all). lol!

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki

original owner also basically told me to reward her for biting "if she tries to bite offer her a peanut instead" I dont think he realizes that when she bit me it was instant it wasn't like she faked biting then bit no no she went in for it my hand smarts but ill survive haha

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They are a very beaky species. The beak is really a third hand. But take your time and let her come to you. Sounds like you are doing well already

nikic613

Strolling the yard
Real Name
niki
They are a very beaky species. The beak is really a third hand. But take your time and let her come to you. Sounds like you are doing well already
Apparently i am!!! We had a break through ! She started exploring the house with me following behind and then she turned around and came right over to me and got right on my hand she laughs which is the cutest thing....im really stoked about the results so far!!!