• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New U2

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
He a very good looking U2.

Don't worry about him being a little hesitant about coming up the stairs, pretty soon he will be all over the house and into everything.

The water? Fred, my U2, had a water bottle used on him by his previous owners to keep his screaming from getting out of hand. As a result, he hates water. That might have been what happened with your new feathered friend.
You could be right. I didn’t consider that. I did have him on my shoulder today as my daughter was playing in the bathtub. He watched her splash around in the water and wasn’t scared. I even took a cup as the bath was filling up with water and filled it up for him to put his beak in and drink to see it’s just water and wasn’t gonna hurt him haha. He sat on my shoulder the whole time until it was time to wash her up. Then I took him back to his perch before I got the soap out for her. I figure I’ll slowly introduce him to show him “it’s okay. It won’t hurt you”.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You could be right. I didn’t consider that. I did have him on my shoulder today as my daughter was playing in the bathtub. He watched her splash around in the water and wasn’t scared. I even took a cup as the bath was filling up with water and filled it up for him to put his beak in and drink to see it’s just water and wasn’t gonna hurt him haha. He sat on my shoulder the whole time until it was time to wash her up. Then I took him back to his perch before I got the soap out for her. I figure I’ll slowly introduce him to show him “it’s okay. It won’t hurt you”.

That sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Fred won't even come into the bathroom, so I think your U2, (name?) will come around.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
We reached a new trust level today. He’s always let me get a feather casing or two since I’ve known him. But after one MAYBE two he usually turned his head signifying he had enough. And never let me actually fold his crest up to get the casings.

Today He laid on my lap while I folded his crest up and got all the crest casings and neck feather casings. It took me about 10 minutes and he let me do it the whole time. He even enjoyed it I think.

690553F3-5F09-4BA7-8192-E6ECDCA49AB5.jpeg 44FC892B-3523-47D5-997F-529E9B223D40.jpeg

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Congrratulations! And welcome Casper! :hug8:I'm proud of your wife overcoming her fear of big beaks. :thumbsup: It probably helps that she had such a charming ambassador. :heart2:

Love that playgym! Do you have one upstairs and one downstairs? (Heck, I love y'all's basement, too. Wish we had them in Texas. :o: )

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I actually moved that gym upstairs. He’s got another downstairs too though. And thank you! I’ve never had a nice finished basement before either. So when we were looking for houses I had a walkout basement on the wish list. I ended up having to finish it myself because it was unfinished, but we enjoy it. Its nice that we can put him to bed and flip off the lights down there so he has a nice quiet dark place to get his 12 hours in.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Creatures of habit. This is his routine when I get home from work. I change my clothes then grab him off his perch and he falls asleep on my lap for 15 minutes before I put him back on his gym so I can make dinner haha. What a hard life.

46DAD3CD-4F52-413D-81D1-F788E49F7BA2.jpeg DEB94071-7D88-4A26-83B1-EA8A5B9658BC.jpeg

His face is somewhere in this ball of fluff. And this is somehow comfortable for him haha

E1863889-FDEB-4D7C-BA03-38104D6CFC7C.jpeg

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
D8FB989B-B4C9-4F66-A627-770A8C4C6BD5.png One mans trash is another birds treasure. He loves old remotes. I split them apart and remove the circuit board then snap them back together so it’s just plastic and buttons. He will toss them around for a long time haha.

He’s also brave enough now to get into the shower with me. He hasn’t fully accepted the water direct on. But he will take a misting and then drink the water on the walls of the shower.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Someone finally realized that his window perch wasn’t going to kill him. He loves to click his beak on the window to make noise. So I thought he would like a window perch. I should have known the scaredy cat would take two weeks to even go near it haha.

20ADD486-07E0-4870-AAF0-AE8072C7C743.jpeg

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
What a lovely new beginning for Casper. They are fantastic birds and hope you and he go from strength to strength.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Someone finally realized that his window perch wasn’t going to kill him. He loves to click his beak on the window to make noise. So I thought he would like a window perch. I should have known the scaredy cat would take two weeks to even go near it haha.

View attachment 291453
Where did you get your window perch? I need a few of those for my guys.
Casper is a hunk btw.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Where did you get your window perch? I need a few of those for my guys.
Casper is a hunk btw.
I made it from PVC pipe from Lowe’s. I cut two 15 inch pieces, and 4, roughly 5 inch pieces. From there you need six elbows and push the pieces together like shown in the photo. I did not use any PVC glue. Just pushing them together holds it plenty strong. I then drilled two holes in the back of the elbows and shoved the hooks of shower suction cups into those holes. The suction cups are rated for 8 pounds a piece.

He is thinking he’s a hunk today for sure. Hormones are starting to kick in as he’s gotten used to the place. He’s fine when on an arm. But when walking around the couch when I went to pick him up he tried mounting my hand a few times. Why do parrots have to be such horn dogs? hahaha.

Last edited: