• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tortoise is eating...Maybe he will live.

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

The Russian that was surrendered yesterday is now walking around and ate all of his dandelion greens. I have a gross story though. I opened his soft food that came with him, it was like a fruit gel with clacium. I opened it to look and OMG..THERE WERE MAGGOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sick:

So, I discontinued the Baytril injections because .....
I called the vet and explained why the tortoise was not eating. Lighting, no uvb or calcium and he was deficient. The Vet told me to stop all injections..Of course I already did. There was no resp. infection or reason for the baytril, they gave it because of lack of appetite. Nope reason hes not eating.....BAD DIET< CALCIUM DEFICIENT!

So, he is eating, walking around his giant guinea pig enclosure hahahah... (Thanks stacy for bringing those by).

He is moving and eating. Maybe he will make it!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw that is great! When are we going to see pics huh?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Congratulations!! I feel really confident that he will improve with your care. If he doesn't, that is really sad, but at least you offered him hospice and comfort in his last days..... but I think he will be ok!

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
Glad he is doing better. Ok...maggots, Im going to put on some rose color glasses, and say (hope) that they werent feeding it anymore and it went bad and they never threw it out and it ended up going to you. One can hope right?

Glad they cages are in good use.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Pics coming right up..let me get some batteries in this camera. hahahaah

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh my goodness. That is really gross. Poor thing. Glad to hear he's eating. Can't wait to see pics. A little tortoise is one of my dream pets just think they are one of the cutest things ever. But it's a long way out before I ever can have one.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so glad he came to you the poor dear..bless you

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Tortoise care really is not that difficult! If people researched what they were getting into....they make great pets. Stacy has Buddah ( OUR buddah) and he is more like a dog than a tortoise. i just adored him , but there was no way I could house him plus more that came here this year. He lives with Stacy and she LOVES HIM! He was seriously like a dog! Buddah is a Sulcata Tortoise and is how heavy now stacy? Third Largest Tortoise in the world, weighing in males around 200lbs.

Here are a few pics of the Russian Tortoise..named Bones...being changed to Chance.

Russian Tortoises are one of the smaller and easily kept tortoises. What is wrong is the informatiopn given out by vets and pet stores on theyre care needs. They CANNOT be kept in aquariums...many reason not to keep in aquariums. They need a lot of room to roam, and water to soak themselves, also fresh greens and calcium.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Those horrid owners!!!!!! I am soooooo glad that he is with you!!!!!! :) Poor thing!!!!!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
WTG!!! Amazing what a little knowledge can do.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I hope he comes through and gets better!

Status
Not open for further replies.