• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tops food, opinions ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My two love birdie bread but would not touch TOPS mix either.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My two love birdie bread but would not touch TOPS mix either.
That’s funny. Wonder why so many dislike it? To me it smells like alfalfa hay. Maybe they think it’s rabbit food.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
When TOPS came to Australia, the distributor would sell free sample bags (only had to pay shipping).
Lovely service, but my birdies weren't a fan of the pellets. I just bought their regular formula, small for the littles and large for Nedd. Anyway, i know i probably shouldn't do this, but i always try a little bit of a new animals food, and it tasted like spicy grass, so i don't blame them for not liking it!

I know @Shezbug also got samples, but i can't remember if her birds liked them :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt wasn’t a fan but he ate them without knowing (mixed in with his warm night mushed pellets).

I must confess I tasted them too and I wasn’t a fan of the grassy taste. But I also think all the other brands of bird pellets taste gross too lol :)

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Burt wasn’t a fan but he ate them without knowing (mixed in with his warm night mushed pellets).

I must confess I tasted them too and I wasn’t a fan of the grassy taste. But I also think all the other brands of bird pellets taste gross too lol :)
Good to know I'm not the only one who eats bird food! :coffeescreen:

Cday2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cday2
I feed Tops. The fact that is organic and cold-pressed is a win for me. I do add Harrision's fine (even for the bigger birds) Lifetime. The pellet is small and they like looking for it mixed in their main menu of Tops.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've tried every pellet that I've offered Leia. TOPS is weird - "spicy grass" is a good description. Leia refused it and after trying it, I can't say I blame her!

Cday2

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cday2
I've tried every pellet that I've offered Leia. TOPS is weird - "spicy grass" is a good description. Leia refused it and after trying it, I can't say I blame her!
It was easy for me because I weaned all of mine to it. I think the worst smelling of all is Roudybush's new formula. It smells just like rabbit food.
I too try their food. I did not on the roudybush

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Bobby (Red-lored Amazon) loves TOPs pellets. Chico will eat it sometimes. I like TOPs because it is cold pressed and natural (no synthetic vitamins and minerals). I would get the TOPs seed mix in a flash if they shipped to the UK. It's about time someone brought out an organic seed mix. Looking at the ingredients, I am thinking of perhaps mixing my own and adding extra things.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did you order the Organic Dream Mix yet, @Tinabell ? I didn’t yet. Trying to use up some other (similar) things.
I think today was my best mix yet. I had a topper from Things 4 Wings, soaked wheat berries barely chitted, several kinds of greens, peppers, carrots, sweet potato, China Prarie’s Avian FRESH (soaked overnight), CP Universal supplement... some hemp seeds.... maybe that’s all, it felt like more!

Anyway all my fids ate it. I mean ate it up. That never happens. :fairy2:

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
That sounds great! I’m glad they liked it ! It seems like that’s always the catch with birds. Do they like it or not?
Do you think if would be strange if I asked my breeder to give my bird TOP’s pellets if I send them to him? Maybe at 12 or so weeks when I get my bird though it will still be open to knew foods and not mind a change ? I just am nervous about it not wanting the foods I am giving it?
I bought the seed, pellets and dream mix trio. Nearly $100! Just wanting to be sure it won’t reject my dry mix because of the pellets. I’m going to make the dry mix like Jason Crean recommended. I’ll make the mash too for mornings, from his recipe also online . The cook book has great recipes for mash too!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds great! I’m glad they liked it ! It seems like that’s always the catch with birds. Do they like it or not?
Do you think if would be strange if I asked my breeder to give my bird TOP’s pellets if I send them to him? Maybe at 12 or so weeks when I get my bird though it will still be open to knew foods and not mind a change ? I just am nervous about it not wanting the foods I am giving it?
I bought the seed, pellets and dream mix trio. Nearly $100! Just wanting to be sure it won’t reject my dry mix because of the pellets. I’m going to make the dry mix like Jason Crean recommended. I’ll make the mash too for mornings, from his recipe also online . The cook book has great recipes for mash too!

You could check with the breeder and see if he would be willing to give the pellets a try or just wait until you get your bird, feed what the breeder is using and then transition. I can't always predict what my birds might eat. I've thrown away $$$$ on foods that they wouldn't touch. Sometimes they will decide they no longer like something that they've been eating for years or months. Can give a bird a mix of things and they will choose what they like and either toss what they don't or leave those food items in the dish.
Have you received any updated photos or videos?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds never likes TOPS. Regarding feeding it to a weanling, I see no problem with offering it, but I see major problems with making it the only pellet option. Definitely don’t push it when the baby comes home. Weaning cockatoos are tricky enough as it is. Under the stress of a new home, the bird is likely to focus just on its favorites that it is familiar with which are often higher calorie foods. This is not a terrible thing when you consider most babies and adult birds will lose weight when moved even if you do everything right and it is properly weaned.

I just feed a middle of the road quality pellet that my birds will eat and supplement heavily with sprouts, cooked mixes and veggies. Not even the best pellets replace fresh food anyway. I have heard of some diasters when over zealous pet owners get a new baby home and try to switch it to a better food because they think the breeder was feeding trash. Always best to add to the diet rather than eliminate something for the first several months.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
That’s why I was thinking if getting it started on TOP’s for the pellet portion of it’s meals as the breeder is introducing it to pellets. It might be easier then trying to transition it for months afterwards. I know the breeder is using a seed pellet mix. Not sure who makes it though? I asked him to include some with my bird, he said he would. I feel weird asking him for this request though.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s why I was thinking if getting it started on TOP’s for the pellet portion of it’s meals as the breeder is introducing it to pellets. It might be easier then trying to transition it for months afterwards. I know the breeder is using a seed pellet mix. Not sure who makes it though? I asked him to include some with my bird, he said he would. I feel weird asking him for this request though.
At 12 weeks, your rosie is probably well on its way to being weaned and may already have a preference. Adding TOPS to what it's already eating is a great idea. Making it the only pellet available could drastically stall weaning and cause problems.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
You think I should have some sent to the breeder and have him add it now, or just wait ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If I was you I’d converse with the breeder about it as you may find they are happy to include the kind of food you wish to use to make it easier and smoother for the baby transitioning from their home to yours.
It can’t hurt to ask.
Just my opinion :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on what kind of breeder you have. If they are the kind that breeds birds but doesn’t really know birds, or has been doing it the same way for 20 years then I wouldn’t complicate things. If it’s someone’s that has been breeding cockatoos for years and will talk to you in an educated and progressive manner about behavior, the psychology of weaning and keeps daily weight records on their birds in order to use data to maximize development on their birds then go for it. They probably have enough sense to know how to incorporate your pellets into the diet without disrupting weaning.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
At 12 weeks, your rosie is probably well on its way to being weaned and may already have a preference. Adding TOPS to what it's already eating is a great idea. Making it the only pellet available could drastically stall weaning and cause problems.
I just texted him and asked if he would be ok incorporating it into his food whe weaning. We’ll see what he says. I told him I would send some to him to use for my bird. I’ll let you all know what his reply is.