• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tops food, opinions ?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I just today TOP’s came out with a new large and small parrot food,” Organic Dream Mix The ingredients sound good. I think in small portions it could be beneficial. What do you all think? NEW! TOP's Organic Dream Mix for Parrots (includes shipping) – TOP's Parrot Food
I will be having a Rose Breasted Cockatoo in July. I was wanting to make chop for breakfast and for dinner some Tops pellets. In between some different things to eat from my kitchen and of course more fresh veggies. I thought this might be a nice addition. My bird will be flighted ( for well being and exercise ) and only about 12+ weeks old.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Small bird mix really sounds good . Its $11.00 per pound. Interesting it says to store in a cool place but no refrigeration. Just like good wine!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Tops pellets don’t have any vitamins added. I won’t feed it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Expensive. What if your bird doesn't like it. Too bad they don't offer it in a smaller package. I purchased their Tesoro treats and none of my birds would eat those.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The ingredients are so natural even their pellets are excellent. I like the fact it’s organic too. I think if a bird is getting its vitamin D3 from the sun, it should be fine.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I would think they would like this ?
You’re right though , they should have a small trial size pack.
Which Tesoro flavor treat did you try?
Original, blueberry or veggie?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I could not afford this price when my birds have not tried it. Do they give samples? The harrisons pellets i feed are $12.00 per pound.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think they would like this ?
You’re right though , they should have a small trial size pack.
Which Tesoro flavor treat did you try?
Original, blueberry or veggie?
I think it was the original. I bought 2 containers and it was, sadly, a waste of money.
Hard to predict what our bird friends will like. I've wasted $$ on other foods because they would not eat the stuff.

They send samples of the pellets. The 2 oz sample is free but the shipping is $4.25.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Harrison’s is very good too. I was just thinking this new product sounded like it had things they really liked in it and where good good for them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had a bird eat TOPS. If your bird is getting outside year round at least 20 minutes a few times a week, it is likely fine, but there are no feed studies on it so my vet gives it a giant no.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The food sounds interesting but whether or not a bird will eat it is hit or miss. What is Brandon planning on weaning Bisou onto? It's good to continue feeding what the breeder is using and then slowly transition to other foods as necessary.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ll bet if we asked for samples they’d give them.

I’m ok with food not having vitamins added, you can supplement a little if you feel they aren’t getting enough variety with their food. TOPS doesn’t contain chemicals and is also the only pellet that doesn’t contain menadione. I feed TOPS along with Roudybush but mostly a whole food diet.

I made TOPS bread yesterday and it was a hit, but someone else didn’t like it — @saroj12 ? Or @iamwhoiam ?

ETA: $11 a pound!! Yikes! I don’t pay that for ANY of my bird foods.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I’m ok with food not having vitamins added, you can supplement a little if you feel they aren’t getting enough variety with their food. TOPS doesn’t contain chemicals and is also the only pellet that doesn’t contain menadione. I feed TOPS along with Roudybush but mostly a whole food diet.

I made TOPS bread yesterday and it was a hit, but someone else didn’t like it — @saroj? Or @iamwhoiam ?

Never made TOPS bread but have made other breads. None of my birds would eat those. Casey says, "Let us eat cake, not Birdie Bread." :D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Never made TOPS bread but have made other breads. None of my birds would eat those. Casey says, "Let us eat cake, not Birdie Bread." :D
Casey is very intelligent.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Actually many pellets do not contain Menadione (synthetic Vitamin K). Off the top of my head Harrison's, Hagen, Goldenfeast, Lafeber and Higgins do not.

Kaytee, Pretty Bird, Oven Fresh, Mazuri, and Zupreem do, though.

Pellets for Parrots

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

I made TOPS bread yesterday and it was a hit, but someone else didn’t like it — @saroj12 ? Or @iamwhoiam ?

I liked it! It’s just a treat not their diet!

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The food sounds interesting but whether or not a bird will eat it is hit or miss. What is Brandon planning on weaning Bisou onto? It's good to continue feeding what the breeder is using and then slowly transition to other foods as necessary.
Brandon said it’s some sort of seed/ pellet mix I think? I need to ask him the name brand . He said he would include some extra for me.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I liked it! It’s just a treat not their diet!
Well yes of course! It’s still pretty healthy. I threw in a few more things to bump it up. They each got a little square.