• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Too Makes Two Toos...

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I got a call for a bird in need. He is a Bare Eyed Too. I have no history just yet. I have the room so I said yes, let's chat about it, logistics etc.
How would you all go about introducing a new Too to the mix? Boo the Goffins has been my buddy for two years now, he is very well behaved (for a bird LOL) and I do not have issues with him that I cannot get through.
Is this the same as any regular introduction? Same room, then slowly introduce? My only concern is that they are so much bigger than my wee birds, that if they do need intervention, it could be much more messy and dangerous.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well if they hit it off and get along, that's half the battle. If they don't get along you've just made everything exponentially more difficult. You'll need separate environments. It's a roll of the dice.

Intervention will require you to physically step in and break things up and risk personal injury.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So good of you to help this bird. I hope they all get along!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s so nice of you to help this bird in need, and I hope everything works out. Keep us posted!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You never know till you try. Be prepared either way. Try not to over think it , go into it with a calm energy, birds are keen on picking -up on the energy in the environment.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on the BE and thanks for taking him in. Be sure to quarantine new bird for about 30-45 days. After that putting him in the same room is fine but take the introductions slow. I have a BE, Cody, and a Goffin's, Keno. Had Keno first and when I got Cody she went through quarantine and then into bird room. Keno and Cody never became great friends. Keno prefers Casey BFA and Cody just does her own thing. They do call back and forth and take turns screaming. I tried to move Cody's cage next to Keno's once but Cody had a stress seizure so I never tried that again. As for the smaller birds and the BE, close supervision is a very good thing.
Hope that things work out.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I got a call for a bird in need. He is a Bare Eyed Too. I have no history just yet. I have the room so I said yes, let's chat about it, logistics etc.
How would you all go about introducing a new Too to the mix? Boo the Goffins has been my buddy for two years now, he is very well behaved (for a bird LOL) and I do not have issues with him that I cannot get through.
Is this the same as any regular introduction? Same room, then slowly introduce? My only concern is that they are so much bigger than my wee birds, that if they do need intervention, it could be much more messy and dangerous.
WOW IT IS so nice of you to make room for the bird. Good luck with it, keeping my fingers crossed. I have never really introduced new birds before so have nothing to add. I'm not going to chance my Galah coming into contact with my lovebirds. They like to chatter toeach other, there's a chance they would be fine, but I don't think so. But of course different situation. Just want you to know I'm thinking of you & interested to see how it goes :)