1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Website/ Questions for owners!

Discussion in 'Caique Cul De Sac' started by LiloTheCaique, 2/1/19.

1. LiloTheCaique

LiloTheCaique Moving in

Zack
    :bhc: Hi all! I'm new to this website, even though I've visited before, I just made an account today! Excited to be here and try and figure out how this website works! I have a Black-Headed Caique named Lilo! I have one quick starter question that I've been curious about and I'm hoping someone might know! So pictured below is me, Lilo and her Pak-O-Bird I have for her! Great carrier, and it's so handy and spacious. One thing I was wondering, if say I was going to take her on a trip for an extended period of time away from home, would this be something that her/any bird would normally be okay staying in? My fear is that if I go on vacation, for like a week with her, and just bring that with, she'll get uncomfortable or something of that nature. If need be, I could always buy a cheaper smaller travel cage, but I feel like the the carrier is pretty well equipped with having water, food bowls, toy hooks and stuff. Even the flaps that come down to make it dark would work great for when she has to go to bed. I'm not sure if anyone else has travel stories or has one of these that they might know how their birds deal with it while on a trip or something of that nature! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Zack & Lilo

IMG_3824.JPG

rfrank and Feather like this.
  2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Welcome to the forum! For a trip, I would probably get a regular travel cage to sleep in etc. I also have the backpack and love it but not for the bird to stay in overnight, etc.

LiloTheCaique likes this.
  3. LiloTheCaique

LiloTheCaique Moving in

Zack
    Thanks for the quick reply! And thanks for that info :)

fashionfobie and sunnysmom like this.
  4. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I agree a travel cage with a large size would be better than what is in the photo. Birds need routines so try to keep you days with the bird routine.

5. LiloTheCaique

LiloTheCaique Moving in

Zack
    Sounds like the travel cage is what I’ll be looking at and yea! Definitely! Her days are very routine. She has a strict bed time of 10:30, and she’s very good when it comes to sleeping. She’s never up early screaming or wanting to be out. She gets dinner of fresh fruits and veggies around 5pm every night. She’s allowed out whenever I’m home because I don’t want her locked in the cage (obviously). Only time she’s in the cage for extended periods of time is when I’m at work or school and that’s for a couple hours out of a day! Other than being a usual brat, she’s pretty well behaved ☺️

Sylvester and Lady Jane like this.
  6. LiloTheCaique

LiloTheCaique Moving in

Zack
    Here’s another question I just thought of! So obviously travel cage is the way to go for an extended vacation, do you think the backpack would be okay if it was like an over night thing? Say for example, maybe I go hiking, and we stayed in a tent over night in the summer and then went home the next day. Would you carrier be good for that?

7. Les charlson

Les charlson Strolling the yard

Hi. The only problem I see is if they poop overnight, that would mess the bag. Then there is the problem of a bird getting enough fresh air whilst being in there with their droppings overnight. A cage has proper air flow. I don't think I would chance it. :)

8. LiloTheCaique

LiloTheCaique Moving in

Zack
    There’s pretty good air flow in these things! It’s all mesh on every side. Obviously if the flaps are down will decrease the air flow a little, but compared to other carriers, this one is pretty good when it comes to air that I’ve experienced. As for the poops, I do keep a cloth at the bottom of it that I clean off when it gets used (which isn’t much right now because of the cold ☹️) and she never poops at night while she’s asleep. I assume all birds do this but she does one big poop in the morning when she wakes up! So I wouldn’t also be as worried about that but I’ll Definitely take your comment into consideration. :)

9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    There are travel cages that fold up. Perhaps between the two types you could manage. Kings cages make about the best travel cages around.

Sylvester and LiloTheCaique like this.
  10. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    If your bird is comfortable in it, and he's being let out during the day, like on a harness or something, it could be okay for just one night. My cockatoo isn't that comfortable in it and I don't think would handle very well sleeping in it, but I've never tried. Plus, I think it's a little too small for my 'too to sleep in, but your bird is smaller than mine.

11. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Walking the driveway

Natalie
    When I traveled with my goffin cockatoo I had a seperate cage for her to sleep and relax in. If she was in her bag longer than she wanted she would unzip it and go on her own adventure. A more secure cage was much safer, especially if I was going to let her sleep when I spent time with other people I was visiting.

Also for places I visited regularly I kept a second cage. For example at my partner's parent's house there was another proper cage. It was smaller then her normal home. But it had a play gym on top. So she had a safe place that was hers. They stored it in the attic when she wasn't visiting. It helped a ton because if we went on holiday she always stayed with Grandma. She already had a space that was hers .

The travel bag you have is awesome!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)