• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to owning a Parrot, seeking help- Sad Update Post #73

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry your new bird isn’t well. The behavior you describe could be normal preening, which cockatiels do a lot of. In addition to giving him some Apple cider vinegar, and keeping him very warm, you should cover part of his cage so it’s easier for him to rest. I would try to find a vet who has experience with birds, even if it is a long drive. I would also take the vitamins out of his water as @finchly suggested. Maybe he’s not drinking? You can try putting some probiotics on his food, like AviCulture 2 or AviBios if you can find some. I hope he will be okay!

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
Far drive or now, it's sunday and they are closed. Tomorrow is Christmas and they'll be closed again...

Update on MooShuu :
He eats, haven't seen him drink yet. I have changed his water with fresh water without vitamins.
He's still puffed up. Read online that puffing up is a sign of illness as they try to keep warm?
He's closing one eye, the left one, when he's puffed up. But I can't see any discharge, yet.
He has some moments when he's acting all right, running, singing and climbing and jumping. But I'm afraid. Why's that? Because I know that birds don't wanna show their illness until it's too late, because in the wild the predators focus on the sick ones, so they have to hide it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are correct. They hide their illness from us, and you’re right about the puffing - that’s why I asked about it, and it is why you hopefully have some heat on him now.

If you are staring at him all the time, he feels uncomfortable so try to just go on about your business and look out of the corner of your eye for the most part. Definitely cover the cage as @Tiel Feathers suggested. I would call around and try to find a vet, but only one who has bird experience.

Did you start the vinegar? Time is of the essence here.

Also I am wondering about his water, when you changed to clean water did he drink? He knows where it is and how to drink it right? Sometimes when you offer new/different containers they don’t know how to drink from them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Do i see a tube drinker on the side of the cage? Did he have that kind before? If not - try a shallow bowl of water, just set it on the floor.

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
He doesn't have a tube for water. He has a bowl of water. He did drink today, saw him dip his head twice and drank. He knows where his water bowl is.
Started with the vinegar. Hope he gets better soon ^_^

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The closing of the one eye could be that he’s just trying to get some rest, not that he has an eye infection. He’s sleeping with one eye open so to speak, so he can keep a lookout to make sure nothing is going to sneak up on him. It good that he has bouts of energy, and that he is still eating and drinking. Hopefully he won’t get any worse for the next few days, until you can take him to an avian vet after the holiday.
:hug8:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have no experience with the larger birds - but just wanted to say Welcome! :welcome2:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I don't have any experience with cockatiels but I find that with scared birds it can help if you sit quietly by his cage or sit and read a book out loud to him. Also offering him millet from your hand is good for getting him to understand that your hands are safe and bring good things

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
I already sit by his cage and talk to him. When he is full of energy I give treats trough bars. He gets the treat and then nibbles at my hand, like he's saying "got the treat not go, this is my cage".
Tomorrow I'll try to teach him the click treat training. Wish me luck ^_^

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Could you add a couple more cages to his cage? He only has one by the looks of the picture and would be far happier with more things to do. This is especially important because he can't come out of the cage yet and the cage is on the smaller side. please wait until a week after new years to start letting him out, unless you teach him to climb onto a perch and can easily return him. Rushing your bird is one of the worst things you can do when trying to take him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your 'tiel is ill. Hope that he will be better soon. Make sure to keep him warm (cover the cage on 3 sides) and if he continues to be puffed up then you may want to take him back to the vet. If you just got him he might be very scared and stressed. Are you feeding him the same food he was getting before you got him?

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
Are you feeding him the same food he was getting before you got him?
Yes, I'm feeding him the same thig he was fed at the store. He eats and drinks normally. He's just bored in there I think. I'll let him a couple more days in tehre before letting him out tho. I'm also trying to target train him. In this way maybe he'll not be THAT bored because I think he enjoys the traininng. It's like a play session for him.

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
One question. I have Venetian blinders. When I open them MooShu starts to scream and run in his cage. After a while he stops on the window side of the cage, looks outside, then starts to run and scream again. Is this joy or fear? Shall I keep them closed all the time? Or open? Maybe he's scared of the natural light xD

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How close is his cage to the window? Do you open them by just turning them, or by pulling them up? Maybe try opening them just a bit by turning them, and see if you get the same reaction. Maybe after a couple days, turn them a bit more so he can get used to them open in small increments. If he’s screaming, I don’t think it’s joy, but it’s hard to know.

MooShu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Calin
Today I've left him out of his cage. After 2 hours, I've noticed a feather falling on the ground. Shall I be concerned? Is it ok if they lose feathers? He lost just one.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
First moult perhaps?
What does it look like?