• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to lovebirds. Any tips are appreciated!

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
I just bought my birdie today after losing my precious budgie last week. I would like some tips on what to do and what not to do. What differs from budgie care and lovebird care? Thank you for any help. :) :pflb:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry about the loss of your budgie.

Food wise, budgie require more seed in their diet than do lovebirds. Lovebirds are suited to about 80% pellets compared to seed (sans sunflower seed), in addition to daily fresh vegetables. Having not had budgies, I'm unsure of anything else that really differs in terms of care. Lovebirds are a bit more sassy and demanding than budgies I think. Make sure your new birdy has a lot of cage space (width is better than height), and a good amount of out time. I would also strongly recommend looking into a friend if you have lengthy commitments like work or school.

Make sure you post pics!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for your loss. :( Congratulations on your lovebird, however.

Lovebirds tend to be more affectionate and interactive with their humans than budgies are, so be sure to love on your little friend often! Both love to chew and destroy. Lovebirds seem to particularly love bells and swings in addition to their shreddables. They are good at escaping cages without latches and are also good at finding trouble!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My foster lovie loved to forage. I would buy mini peppers, hollow them out and stuff them with chopped up veggies, seeds, pellets, etc. He loved that and it was a great way to get him to eat fruit and vegetables.

Joshie

Sitting on the front steps
I don't want to ruffle any feathers (haha), but I find lovebirds to be a lot more intelligent and interactive than budgies. This means that they are fun and engaged, but it also means they can be stubborn, fixated and even destructive. Lovebirds need a lot more toys and games and challenges to keep them occupied. A happy lovebird can express their love in the most heartwarming ways. They are a huge birds in a tiny little package.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Joshie They are certainly an adorable handful! A lot of bang for the birdy buck. ;)

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
I don't want to ruffle any feathers (haha), but I find lovebirds to be a lot more intelligent and interactive than budgies. This means that they are fun and engaged, but it also means they can be stubborn, fixated and even destructive. Lovebirds need a lot more toys and games and challenges to keep them occupied. A happy lovebird can express their love in the most heartwarming ways. They are a huge birds in a tiny little package.
I'll keep that in mind. He's still adjusting to the home right now, and I can't wait until he comes out of his birdy shell.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry about your budgie.
Congratulations on your love bird.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I've found that lovies can get into a lot more mischief and destruction than my english budgie ever could. They're smart enough to know when you're trying to hide things from them (such as important documents, expensive electronics) and suddenly become obsessed with needing to chew on them despite being presented with equally decent paper or toys. I've also found that they love to take baths a lot more often. Even my more skittish lovebird stomachs his discomfort with being held in order to splash around in my cupped hands under a running faucet.

Good luck with your new lovie :)

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
I've found that lovies can get into a lot more mischief and destruction than my english budgie ever could. They're smart enough to know when you're trying to hide things from them (such as important documents, expensive electronics) and suddenly become obsessed with needing to chew on them despite being presented with equally decent paper or toys. I've also found that they love to take baths a lot more often. Even my more skittish lovebird stomachs his discomfort with being held in order to splash around in my cupped hands under a running faucet.

Thank you! I've scheduled a vet check-up to make sure he is in tip-top shape. I love how mischievous they are.

Joshie

Sitting on the front steps

Mine have a real appreciation for fine literature. Brand new, not quite read fine literature. Also...if anyone would like to buy laptop missing almost all of the keys, do let me know.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie