• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Kaks

Merlin

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Natalie
Hey guys I'm back, lots of changes to the flock, and most recently this special little addition. Timmy is now out of quarantine and is officially a flock member (Yoshi the Quaker (9) is our only other indoor bird at the moment lol).

I'm here to learn all I can about Kakarikis :)

Things I really want to talk about is training and techniques. He was on an all sunflower seed diet when he came and is now eating pellets and budgie mix, with sunflower seeds for training, and of course chop. He is LOVING his fresh veg.

He has previously lived with a very old man ina small apartment with curtains closed. He had a cage and and free range of the house (when he wasn't locked in there and covered as punishment). He is terribly hand shy and so it is extremely hard to get him back to his cage when I need to go out or at night. I'm not sure what to do here apart from the usual training - which is naturally slow :-/ any advice is appreciated please!

IMG_9575.JPG

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
His little red cap is so cute! :p

Thank you for adopting the little dude. My only advice for getting him in his cage is maybe try target training him?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I know nothing about kakarikis, but he is beautiful! I love the color of his beak!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I love kakarikis. I've been contemplating adding some to my flock in the future myself.

Target training is a really good idea. Kakarikis are known for being a bit more flighty than other birds, and love to zip about, so this might be a bit challenging. I would also recommend making cage time a rewarding experience for him by giving him treats when he goes in, and just when he's in his cage generally.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't have any experience with Kakarikis but congratulations on getting Timmy. He is very handsome. Thank you for taking him into your home.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a cutie! :)