• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new to hawkheads

Wheelz

Checking out the neighborhood
Can anyone give me hints an tips on raising Hawkheads as I'm waiting patiently for my new baby to hatch

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bump :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a hawkhead, but not much advice on raising babies lol. I got her at 13 years old. Marybeth would be the one to ask (talongirl)

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Hello there!

Well, Maverick came to me weaned and fledged, so I wouldn't know anything about hand raising them.

As far as from then until now... best advice I have is patience. lol! He is very much like a 2-yr old. He is flighted, so he will explore the house. I have to keep an eye on him, otherwise he can and will get into anything/everything. I have been, and still get, bitten by him when he is in one of his stubborn moods. You do learn pretty quick to pick up on body language. I can tell when he is in a "mood" and to leave him be for a little bit. I call him "velociraptor" when he is in those moods. You'll see why.

However, for the most part he is a clown, and LOOOOOOOOOOOOVES to be petted.

I adore the fiercely independent and feisty personalities of these birds. And even though that typically comes attached with a stubborn and somewhat aggressive side effect, it's worth it. For me, the trick with Maverick is to assert the position of flock leader, and to maintain that position. I.E. mutual respect.

Looking forward to hearing more about your little baby. :)

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on your new baby. We have two Hawk-heads that are bonded buddies, a male and a female that we have had 15 years since they were a year old. They are excitable and have a high energy level making them very playful. Our guys like to hanging upside down and really enjoy chasing each other... good exercise. ;)They are fully flighted and do love to fly all around the bird room. We refrain from over stimulating them while playing; they can turn on us pretty quickly and bite if not happy with what is happening. Reading their body language is so important.

Wheelz

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the advise anymore greatfully received

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Try the Hawkhead group on Yahoo groups there are a couple of breeders on there that have raised alot of HH babies that might be able to help you. We forced the place that we got our Baby from to keep them until they were 6 months old and weaned. They tried to force him to wean sooner but he was smart and would hop off his perch and chase the feeding cart till he got a syringe full of food. The law here backs up they cannot be sold/leave until they are six months old. So we purchased him at 3 months and took him home at 6. :)