• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Canaries

Caruso1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there, I adopted 3 canaries about 3 months ago. They come from horrible conditions where rats got into their "box" and killed most of their flock. These 3 survived, but got out with only 1 leg each. Two girls and a boy. Only heard the male sing once. Magnificent voice! They all have resp issues though, wheezing, sneezing, gaping breething. They drink, eat, bath and are active. They've been on a full couse of doxy with no luck so I now have 10% baytril. Hoping to find sound advice on this forum.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The respiratory problems sound severe. Have you been to an avian vet with them yet? If not do it tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The respiratory problems sound severe. Have you been to an avian vet with them yet? If not do it tomorrow (Monday) morning.
Agreed. Especially given the conditions the poor things were living in. A vet visit is a must.
I´m glad you adopted them and have taken them away from that horrible life.

Welcome to the forum :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock....and thank you for giving them a safe place...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Caruso1

Thank you for the feedback. Getting them to a vet is tricky. Beside the trauma of the trip its very difficult to get off work. Vet is not open all day either. Thats why I wanted to try 10% baytril x2 a day orally, after the doxy didnt work.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Getting them to a vet is tricky. Beside the trauma of the trip its very difficult to get off work. Vet is not open all day either. Thats why I wanted to try 10% baytril x2 a day orally, after the doxy didnt work.
...understandable...but if the medication doesn't improve the situation quickly, it doesn't seem that you have many options left. Hopefully they will respond to the baytril...

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are you dosing them? Putting antibiotics in water is generally a poor way of making sure the antibiotic actually gets into the bird, especially if multiple birds are sharing a cage. You can never be sure how much water each bird is drinking and, therefore, if they're getting enough antibiotic. Not completing an antibiotic course or dosing at too low a level means that you won't kill off all the pathogens, and can make things worse by ensuring that the strongest pathogens infecting your birds will survive and reproduce.

Baytril is broad spectrum but there are strains of pathogens resistant to it. I would recommend going to an avian vet and testing for antibiotic sensitivity.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welccome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! :)

Caruso1

How are you dosing them? Putting antibiotics in water is generally a poor way of making sure the antibiotic actually gets into the bird, especially if multiple birds are sharing a cage. You can never be sure how much water each bird is drinking and, therefore, if they're getting enough antibiotic. Not completing an antibiotic course or dosing at too low a level means that you won't kill off all the pathogens, and can make things worse by ensuring that the strongest pathogens infecting your birds will survive and reproduce.

Baytril is broad spectrum but there are strains of pathogens resistant to it. I would recommend going to an avian vet and testing for antibiotic sensitivity.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to dose them by using a insulin injection (no needle) into the little mouths.