• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to birds

Dusty Miller

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

So my Father's day present is getting a pet bird, but I am unsure which type to get and I always do way too much research before I do anything. I have a rambunctious 2 and 3 year old and my wife is due in September. The toddlers like to run around, sing, dance, and yell at each other.

I have looked at Budgies, Cockatiel, and Parrotlets, but I am unsure what would fit well with my family. I think the larger birds are a little out of our price range right now (trying to keep the price of the bird under $200). I am more than willing to put the time and effort into training and playing with a bird (and training my family how to properly act around a bird), I just don't want to pick something that wouldn't work well with my family.

Thanks for any advice.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hello and welcome. Congratulations. I personally would suggest a budgie, they are active, chatty and not too intimidating.

I have never had a cockatiel but I am told they are lovely and gentle.

When I was a child we had budgies and they we so much fun. It really is where my passion for birds started. I have also had parrotlets and I would say that budgies are more easy going and so easier to get along with. Parrotlets need quite a bit of attention to maintain tameness especially at first.

Whatever you end up getting be sure to work your new birdie into your routines so he can be a part of the family.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Are there any rescues near you? They usually have many types of birds in need of homes. They cost less there than at pet stores and it would give you a chance to see what type of bird you like. Also keep in mind- any bird and a small child is really not a good mix. Careful supervision is obviously needed.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome. This is just my two cents, but I think you may want to hold off on that bird until your children get older. The smaller birds scare easily and they are not fond of the joyful noise and quick movements of children. I have two tiels. One is nervous and does not like joyful noise of any kind.

The nervous tiel had seizures when he was stressed by things like going to the vet. The vet said stress from any source can kill smaller birds.

Anyway, if you're determined to get one, know that an all seed diet is not appropriate and the seed sold in the supermarket is garbage and can harbor mold and other nasties that will kill a bird. Please make sure you are able to buy a generously sized cage. One of my tiels is in a flight cage and we're trying to get the other to accept his flight cage. He's in a smaller one now. We hope to get him to accept the flight cage. Cages come with dowl perches. That will harm a cockatiel's feet. My vet says natural wood perches are best.

Cockatiels will need toys to play with. Safe toys. They are not all safe. My tiels like to chew newspaper.

Tiels can live into their twenties. You should be aware of that. Your wife will have to give up any nice smelling cleaners, carpet cleaners, furniture polishes and scented candles. They are deadly. They will kill the bird. Smoke will kill.

Non stick cooking pots and pans will emit toxic fumes if over heated. Birds have died from those fumes. Stainless steel cookware is safe. Forget about using sprays to clean your oven. Self cleaning ovens are not safe, either. We have a steam cleaning oven.

As you can see, there are many dozens of things you must know about cockatiel care and you have to be careful where your information comes from. People know what they are doing here.

Anyway, I am certain you will make for a fine family for a cockatiel or smaller bird when your children get older.

Also, you'll need an avian vet and they are expensive. One of my tiels has chronic illness that requires medication. We have to have his medicine made into a liquid and his meds are a small fortune. Two medications go on his body. He picks at himself and that is almost impossible to eliminate that behavior. I don't even want to know how much we have spent over the years on vet care alone. Many thousands.
Not all birds can talk. One of mine says a few words. The other does not. If you have a cat or dog, they will see the bird as a snack.

I've had cockatiels for 15 years or so. My first tiel came from a shelter after his family did not want him. Reading his adoption record, I know he was mistreated. He never warmed up to us, so someone permanently damaged his little soul.

Birds are expensive. If you do everything necessary to care for a bird properly, it's expensive. I don't have any kids, but I do know kids are even more expensive!

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning more towards a Budgie, and I understand the advice to wait with young ones. I am trying to be cautious and thoughtful because the last thing I want is to get a bird and have it end up getting hurt. I would only really let it out of the cage when I am home and actively supervising all activities with it, and I know it would be just as much, if not more, training of my daughters as much as it would of the bird. Would a bird become too flustered/scared if it was in a cage in the main living area around them playing? Touching it wouldn't be allowed, but if it is too much to even have them playing around it it may be better to wait.

And about cages, I see so much about the large ones on wheels (like this Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies Is something that big needed for just one Budgie, or is something like these enough space (Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Flight Cage, White : Bird Cage : Pet Supplies or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K67UF2)? And I would intend on letting it out at least a couple hours a day.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think it depends on the bird and the kids. I have four cockatiels, and my youngest daughter was seven when we first got two of them. The cages are in the family room, and they are used to loud noises. They don't even blink, where as my little chihuahua will run end hide. Regarding the birds, however, my two kids have never been anything but respectful and caring. It's very important that when your bird comes home the kids refrain from their usual mayhem, so your new bird can feel comfortable in his new home. I think my birds got used to my children quickly because the first two tiels were babies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue!

Small children and birds in a family is a challenging situation. It can work with a lot of care and patience.

If there is a rescue(s) in your area, please look into them. Most of them have many budgies, tiels, etc, in need of good homes...:)

NandayLover

Walking the driveway
I suggest Cockatiels. Not as a "beginner" bird but as a family bird. They're very friendly, let anyone hold and pet them. Very outgoing. I got my first bird when I was 3, a Lovebird. The problem with lovebirds is they can get very nippy. Cockatiels seldom nip. Budgies are a little flighty and little easily stressed IMO to be around a 2 and 3 year old. I don't know why they're reccomended so much, they are good birds don't get me wrong, but not good for children. Though they don't bite they are very flighty like any small bird. I'd also veer away from Conures and Quakers! They are about Cockatiel size but typically bond to one person and bite all others. They are also very cage aggressive sometimes and young children sometimes can't help but try to touch the bird. I remember when I was about 5 I stuck my hand in one of my mom's Conures cages, I never did that again lol

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome.

Budgies are great. Cockatiels are great. I've never had one, but I wonder if a Bourke's parakeet could also be a good option.

Good luck!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welcome!
What a nice Father's Day gift. I had a tiel when my children were that small. He and they did fine together. I later had a foster child arrive with a parakeet, he was nervous for the first few days (she was older than my kids) but he got used to all the action as well.
I think if you're careful (with both the bird and the children) they'd be fine....and I second the idea of a Bourke's.

NandayLover

Walking the driveway
Welcome.

Budgies are great. Cockatiels are great. I've never had one, but I wonder if a Bourke's parakeet could also be a good option.

Good luck!
I have a Bourke's! She's like a Budgie but quieter and calmer and a little flightier

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a 2 year old with Quakers who like to bite little fingers. If I didn't have the birds first, I never would mix the two lol. It can be challenging. My son is only allowed to feed treats, not touch the birds at all.

Patricia Rossi

Real Name
PLBR
Hello,

So my Father's day present is getting a pet bird, but I am unsure which type to get and I always do way too much research before I do anything. I have a rambunctious 2 and 3 year old and my wife is due in September. The toddlers like to run around, sing, dance, and yell at each other.

I have looked at Budgies, Cockatiel, and Parrotlets, but I am unsure what would fit well with my family. I think the larger birds are a little out of our price range right now (trying to keep the price of the bird under $200). I am more than willing to put the time and effort into training and playing with a bird (and training my family how to properly act around a bird), I just don't want to pick something that wouldn't work well with my family.

Thanks for any advice.
Don't get one now. Your household is way too busy for a bird. The bird will end up being ignored. Not sure why we all seem to think we need pets when babies come...just enjoy your kids, your life will be full enough. When you have an animal you must plan for them when you want to go anywhere. And birds down to the smallest need clean water and fresh vegetables and fruit everyday. Wait till the kids are old enough to help properly care for them. Birds can catch whatever colds or flu is going through a household and babies seem to always have something dribbling, expecally if they go to a child care.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can catch whatever colds or flu is going through a household and babies seem to always have something dribbling, expecally if they go to a child care.

It's my understanding there are no illnesses we can give birds, and they can only give us a few.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I always had Cockatiels when my kids were young. They are really sweet birds..can be a little loud at times but a lot depends on the individual bird. A rehome that has been around children would be great. I brought home one that was hand tame and very young (way past weaned) and he really loved my kids. He bonded mostly with my youngest daughter and would sit on her shoulder while she did her homework. I never had one that was a big nipper. I have known people who got Parrotlets for their small children but in my opinion the children seem to make the little birds nervous. Might I suggest looking for one to adopt. There are some positives with that....one being you would know more about the birds personality if it had been around children etc. When they are young you never know if they will be nervous or anxious around them. We were just lucky with ours.