• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Bird World

George B

Moving in
Real Name
George
Hello -

I am writing because I need help... In February, my wife and I picked out the cutest little lovebird from a local pet store, brought him home and named him Freddy. We bought a large fun cage, bird seed and millet for him. Yes it was a spur of the moment purchase, but we were confident we could handle it. As soon as we brought him home with us we started researching how to care for him. The more we learned, the more upset we became at the pet store owner. We were unaware that seed/millet is bad for him and that teflon and teflon fumes/smoke can kill him as well as several cleaning products. Fortunately, we don't cook with Teflon pans.

So we started to ween him from seeds alone. We spent a good 4-5 hours a day with him out of his cage. By week 2 he was eating romaine, spinach, carrots and broccoli out of our hands. Never did get him to eat any fruits. He was so energetic and happy which made us happy. He had the best personality.

Unfortunately, yesterday morning I went to open the sunroom windows and take his blanket off of the cage and he was dead at the bottom. My whole family has been affected by this and we are devastated. We would like another bird, but I am too scared to feel like this again. We loved Freddy so much. I have heard that buying pet store birds is a crap shoot and you never know what you are getting. I know we will never know what exactly killed Freddy, but I know we did everything we could for his health, safety and well being.

Is there a good breeder near Macomb, Michigan that we could trust to purchase a bird from ? We definitely don't want to buy another bird, get him/her to trust us and then have this happen again in 6 weeks. MY email is: george@bozinproduction.com Thanks

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome i am sorry for your loss

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that you lost your baby. You are right that buying from a pet store is a "crap shoot" especially for people who don't have bird experience. A person who has bird experience can evaluate how the birds are kept and if there is potential for illness and disease.

Because you don't know what killed your bird you need to do some serious cleaning and disinfecting before you get another bird. F10 is by far the very best disinfectant on the market. It appears to be expensive but it goes a long long ways. I buy mine here - it is the least expensive and the service is great. F10 Bird & Reptile Cleaning Disinfectant - 200 ml

Some one will come along and help you with breeders or you might consider adopting a bird that needs a new home. We will help as much as is possible.

Welcome to AA.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Freddy sounds like he was a wonderful companion and I'm so sorry for your loss. You were definitely becoming great parronts with your research and dedication to taking the best care of him.
A necropsy by an avian vet might or might not give you an answer to "why" but it is probably too late now.
I'd suggest you find an avian vet near you Association of Avian Veterinarians or google "avian vets near me" and have a wellness exam done within a few days of getting another bird.
They may also have a recommendation for a breeder or rescue.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Wings Forever High, Freddy...

I'd suggest you find an avian vet near you Association of Avian Veterinarians or google "avian vets near me" and have a wellness exam done within a few days of getting another bird.
They may also have a recommendation for a breeder or rescue.
An excellent suggestion...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please don't blame this on the food you fed him. Like said pet store birds can be sick and you would never know it. Did you talk to the manager of the store?

Birds are successfully shipped throughout the country. Many people adopt a needy bird. If you have a bird rescue near you I suggest you volunteer for a while for the experience. Please be careful adopting from Craig's List. There are bird flippers that get a bird for low prices and re sell at higher prices. Also there are bird scammers who want your money. I hope you locate a good breeder to avoid all these pitfalls.

George B

Moving in
Real Name
George
Just got back from pet store. All the manager asked was if we lit candles or use teflon pans to cook.
I told her luckily no, not that she told us when we bought him. She wanted nothing to do with me.
Im so upset. I didn't even want to go back to the store but I did to get the cage cleaner.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were making such a wonderful home for your bird. When I got Twilight, one of my cockatiels, I also got his sister, a baby named Sunshine. She was to sweet, but she died after I had her for 6 weeks. Both the person I bought the babies from and the vet thought it was something internal that she was born with that killed her. It's so sad when they go because they are sweet and innocent. Big hugs to you and your family.
:sadhug2:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Welcome to the Avenue and I am so sorry to hear of your loss :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:bighug:

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your next experience is much longer lived and just as rewarding. Boba was sick when i got him, but thankfully because of this wonderful community he is now happy and healthy again. Welcome to AA.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

George B

Moving in
Real Name
George
Thank you to all who have replied and your good wishes... My wife & I greatly appreciate all of you.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Very sorry for your loss...
You don't have air freshener or didn't use any cleaners after you covered his cage?
I guess I'm asking if any fumes could have done it..
A necropsy would have laid you're mind at ease.
I've found all my birds through craigslist but I'm an experienced craigslist shopper. No bad stories to tell.